Food & Beverages as Gifts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)
Better yet, move out West. We've got a mild 4 seasons,
and the house down the street is for sale.
Neither DH nor I are big fans of the Mid-Atlantic ;)

So, after college, I moved 9 times in 11 years figuring that I never would find a place to settle. (My family had seven generations buried in a cemetery in my hometown, so no idea from where the love of wandering came.) Southern California was one of the locations where I lived. I found that I HAD to have seasons. Real seasons. So moved here intending to stay a few years, and 30+ years later, here I am.

I want a full 3 months of each winter, spring, summer and fall. I usually get it. I love that I can be in a city, on the ocean, in the country or even mountains within 1.5 hours. But best of all, I love sailing and we have the bay that allows me to float about from roughly April 15 to Nov 15.

Besides, if anyone wanted me to move, they should have spoken before this kitchen remodel. You move here. To tempt you, keep in mind that our boat has on-board sanitation, hot/cold water, and a small china cabinet. ;)

I gave out little mini bread pans (ceramic with holiday motifs on the sides) of homemade pear bread to my mail lady, UPS man, FedEx lady and some friends. They all loved it.

I'm sure they did! Those kinds of gifts are always special.

Last edited:
IMG_0537.jpg

In our Green Grocer, they've been selling the Jumbo Sized
Fresh Strawberries, but I couldn't get past the price ...
until today. They reduced the price by three or four bucks
I think it was, so Dipped Berries it is.
Shari's Berries ain't got nothin' on me :LOL:
(well, her's look a little prettier :ROFLMAO:)

Some years I get lots of tomatoes, so I sun-dry them.

gSMn3Lc.jpg

It takes about three days in the greenhouse.

PrA2gzU.jpg

Bagged, in nice tins or in small mason jars, they make good holiday gifts for the cooks on my list.

pZjdY99.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

I took a dish of Lemon & Poppy Seed Scones next door to share and both Mister and Missus Neighbor were over the Moon. I didn't know that they too love Scones as my Mother does.

Mister asked me to stay and have a glass of Wine with them, and who could say no?

We chatted for a bit about this and that when ...
Mr. Neighbor: So what else have been cookin'?
Moi: Oh, ... (some small details)
Mr. Neighbor: Well gee, I guess Mom is a healthy eater and you haven't had any leftovers to pass along this way then?
:LOL:
(I always have too much and take some over to them to taste-test)
Moi: Well, we'll need to change that! How about some Hawaiian Food later this week?
Mr. Neighbor: YOU KNOW!!!
:ROFLMAO:
(He loves my Poke Bowls and Mixed Hawaiian Plate of Kalua Pork, Teriyaki Chicken and Spam Fried Rice on the side.
:w00t:

I'm gifting 3 of Genovese Basil plants that I grew in my hydroponic garden. They've been transplanted to a planter and will go to my nail tech in a few days. I've been watching and waiting just to make sure there are no issues with the move to a pot. He likes to cook as much as I do and I think he'll make good use of the basil.

IMG_5550.jpg

I did a test run today of the Copycat Moose Munch I want
to give my Neighborhood Gal Pals for Christmas.

IMG_1158.jpg

Not super happy with the way it came out.

IMG_1159.jpg

I used Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers.
It didn't drizzle the way I wanted it to.

IMG_1160.jpg

Now the Milk Chocolate was a little better, but ...

Geez, you think maybe I should have followed the
recipe when it said to use Chocolate Chips & Shortening?
*face plant*

Well, as I said, this was a test run so this batch is for our house :LOL:

Good thing it is a trial run, K-Girl! Good thinking!

Do you ever make White Chocolate/Peppermint popcorn? I make that for hostess gifts at the holidays.

Third time is the charm! Fingers and paws crossed!

Round Two:

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

I'm much happier with this attempt.
Two things I did differently:
1) Spread the Caramel Corn out on TWO sheet pans for more Chocolate coverage

2) I followed the recipe and used 1 C. Dark Choco Chips & 1 1/2 tsp. Shortening - the drizz is so much better!

I have to say that the first batch looked like pooh had just been blopped on top :glare:
DH says, "Oh great! So you give that one to your family!" :LOL:

I made up a small baggie to give to my Aesthetician, whom I have an appointment with tomorrow!

IMG_1161.jpg

I didn't have any Christmas paper or gift bags, I had purged everything to make room for Mom ... so Dollar Tree Brown Totes to the rescue!
Add some festive tissue paper and ribbon and Bob's your uncle! ;)

I have cute Christmas-themed tins to put the Gal Pal's treats into later. :chef:

*bump*
I had the "onos" (that's Hawaiian-speak for a real craving for) a recipe I found awhiles back called Olive Salad, but its so much more! And I forgot that it makes ALOT!
So I made up a Bento Lunch Box for one of my Neighborhood Gal Pals that still has a 9-5 job outside of the home.
IMG_2111.JPG

I also made up a small container for my Mom, I'll probably go over to her apartment this weekend to take her some things anyway.

Back
Top Bottom