Food & Beverages as Gifts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
To a lot of regular DC members, you know that I like to share food that I make with others.

I thought a separate thread on the topic of "Food & Beverages As Gifts" would be interesting … I can't be the only one who does this, right?

I kick the can first …

Ms. Across-the-street-Neighbor's birthday was coming up,
and I really wanted to give her something, thoughtful and not just
some surplus of this or that I had made for DH and I.

Cake? No
Hot Dish? I don't think this is the correct occasion

As I was browsing the Craft & Party aisle in our local mega-"Mart",
I spied this adorable plastic wine tumbler.

:idea:

Did you hear that bell go off? :LOL:

I still had a bottle of Champagne leftover :ohmy: :huh: :ROFLMAO:
from our Christmas celebration

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg

Some Cello wrap, cake round for support,
along with some colorful curling ribbon
and Bob's your uncle, or is it Bobette? :)

I thought that came out so stinkin' cute!
(even if I do say so myself ;))

SO is forever trotting up and down the block with a plate of chocolate chip cookies for a neighbor or another. Choc chip cookies sound pretty routine, but not everyone bakes or bakes like they used to do, so they are well received.

My most favorite DIL made me a whole cannister (about 5 lbs) fudge for Christmas. Sorry, they didn't last til New Years. I shared.

SO is forever trotting up and down the block with a plate of chocolate chip cookies for a neighbor or another. Choc chip cookies sound pretty routine, but not everyone bakes or bakes like they used to do, so they are well received.

My most favorite DIL made me a whole cannister (about 5 lbs) fudge for Christmas. Sorry, they didn't last til New Years. I shared.

Very true W !!
Same goes for cooking.
I can't tell you how many folks I've come across since moving to the Continental United States, that don't want or can't cook, anything, period. :huh: Really!
My own sister being one of them.
:shrug:

Our neighborhood has happy hour potlucks once a month, generally from April through New Year's Day. In addition to a dish to share, I bring a gift for the hostess - usually either honey or a jar of homemade chutney or jam.

IMG_5219.jpg

I made this "For The Neighbors" Christmas Gifts this year.

I went to The Dollar Tree, saw these "Merry Christmas" bucket
and my brain started to tick :santa:

I bought very plain white coffee mug for each person in the household,
along with some cello wrap and pretty wired ribbon.
I found instant Cappuccino and Hot Cocoa mixes, 4 envelopes/box.
Assorted candies.
All of the above for $1 each piece, I didn't count the wrapping material, `cuz I really wanted those for my other gifts for the family ;)

Then I went over to Walmart and bought 2 boxes of Betty Crocker Mug Treats: Rainbow cake and Brownie mixes including frosting! Since there are 4 servings per box at $2.50 and I divided them up between the 3 gift buckets I made.

I also had some small packets of colorful sprinkles that I got for free at this cool shop while visiting my Mother back in the Fall.

I think that this came out so nice!

The entire gift for each household of two came out to a total of $6,
not to sound cheap, but WOW!

I made infused liquor for Christmas gifts for my family (and for us)

Pear/Ginger Vodka
Raspberry/Lime Vodka
Jalapeno/Lime Tequila
Habernaro/Peach Tequila
Dark Cherry Bourbon
Vanilla Bourbon

I made infused liquor for Christmas gifts for my family (and for us)

Pear/Ginger Vodka
Raspberry/Lime Vodka
Jalapeno/Lime Tequila
Habernaro/Peach Tequila
Dark Cherry Bourbon
Vanilla Bourbon

Ooh! That sounds lovely Jenny!
One year I made my Mother Homemade Meyer Limoncello and put it up in her freezer. I found some real nice bottles with those attached tops.
swing top glass bottles.jpg
(not my photo but a file one online)
My Mom adores Meyer Lemons and I thought that would be nice her to sip on with her friends. I left it for about 6 months I think it was to sit and marry.

My younger Sister and her then boy friend came to visit and drank it all! Mom didn't get one sniff! :mad:

Hey K-Girl!!!

Any houses for sale on your block?? ;)

Ross

well drat!!

Maybe I will check out shipping costs then.. ;):ROFLMAO:

Ross

Geez... I was thinking the same thing! Especially since when I got up this morning it was -14 f here and still ruddy snowing!. Arizona sounds pretty good today.
If I hire a BIG truck I could swing by and pick you guys up?

Geez... I was thinking the same thing! Especially since when I got up this morning it was -14 f here and still ruddy snowing!. Arizona sounds pretty good today.

We need 30 minutes notice.. It's cold here too.. :ermm::LOL:

Ross

We need 30 minutes notice.. It's cold here too.. :ermm::LOL:

Ross

:LOL:
You two!!!

It's not all that warm here in Northern Arizona ya know!
It'll be 32° tonight, but that's warmer than it's been … we've been getting 12° overnight and snow! :blink:

Hot diggitty damn, Kgirl... 32 sounds wonderful!

It is only 10:30 pm and it's -23 f .. please note that's a MINUS .. supposedly feels like -29 f but I ain't goin' out to check. It's on nights like this I'm glad I don't have to go out to give the horses their late nite snack of hay any more.

Did you know that -44 f is the same as -44 c? or maybe it's -40 f = -40 c but at that point who cares? It's COLD!

Actually we've not had that cold in a couple of years. We always got some of that in Feb for a week or so ... hmm... global warming? Not complaining!!!

Oops, sorry JC- meant to tell you to start packing, will pick you up around 9 am?

Last edited:

It is only 10:30 pm and it's -23 f .. please note that's a MINUS .. supposedly feels like -29 f but I ain't goin' out to check. It's on nights like this I'm glad I don't have to go out to give the horses their late nite snack of hay any more.

Did you know that -44 f is the same as -44 c? or maybe it's -40 f = -40 c but at that point who cares? It's COLD!

Actually we've not had that cold in a couple of years. We always got some of that in Feb for a week or so ... hmm... global warming? Not complaining!!!

Oops, sorry JC- meant to tell you to start packing, will pick you up around 9 am?

It's the nice round number, -40, that's the same in Fahrenheit and Celsius.

taxy, any temperature, Celsius or Fahrenheit, with a minus sign in front of it is definitely NOT "nice". :D

… we've been getting 12° overnight and snow! :blink:
Quite possibly more snow that we've had this winter. Mind you, I ain't complaining. The neighbor across the street might be wishing for snow. He hasn't gotten anywhere near as much soup and bakery from me this year since he isn't snow blowing our drive.

Jeannie is excited.. She slept in her suitcase last night.. ;) :ermm:

Ross

Sorry Kgirl - we got off thread..

Other than one all my neighbours are a lot more than a walk across the road - I hardly even know them.

As usual I did make extra Gingerbread houses again this year. Other than that I rarely make anything anymore that would specifically be for a gift.

I will make a loaf of bread for my immediate neighbours. They are coming home around midnight from their trip. May even actually go over and bake it in their oven late this afternoon so the house smells good when they open the door.

You guys crack me up!
… and no, going off topic is not a bad thing, at least not in my book :cool:

When we first moved to "the mainland" of the continental USA,
our neighbors weren't actually close and neither were they around
much, they were only mostly snow-birds.

We had an unusually bad Winter storm and had lost power and water
for many days.
By going around to all of our neighbors homes, taking them something
warm to eat (no one had a gas grill and the gas stoves wouldn't work)
and checking on all of them (they were mostly elders) that's how we
got to know our neighbors.

I've just continued with "sharing" food with folks... I only have some
much room in my deep freeze and DH will eat a dish ONLY twice :glare:
I'm still on that wide curve of learning to cook for two :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom