Flapjack Contest Chatter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm no stranger to feeding large crowds, either sit down dinners or serving buffet style. I married into a large family and it only kept getting larger. During these occasions several people act as hosts/ helpers. In this instance DxW is one of the judges and she has to stay out of the kitchen.

When the kids were little, we had pancake breakfast at least one day when we were up at the lake weekends. Plus the kids almost always got to invite one friend each for a playmate. I was usually able to keep up with feeding several kids at a time and then later we got a electric skillet and I could do more. Lot of flipping going on, I remember that.

There will be 2 judges and possibly 4. I invited one SIL and her Fr to stop by in between Saturday garage sales.

Now the strategy I have worked out. So far. I made 4 batters tonight . Take them out of the frig early in the am. I will make Alix’s batter tomorrow am, since I have never made Dutch babies. There used to be a local resto/ chain, that the servers had to Physically Run your order out to you when it came out of the oven. I won’t be doing any running. It’s entirely possible that the eggs, which I perceive act as a leavening agent/ lightener, call it what you will, would be just fine overnight too, with just a whirr in the morning. It’s regrettable that the judges won’t see the soufflé effect as they come out of the oven before they settle.

I figure, bake Alix’s first. Fry bacon while hers are in the oven. Start platters of small size pancakes and make #’d stacks on platters in the oven to keep warm.

I like Steve’s serving idea, visually. I already decided, make small size pancakes and keep pancakes arranged the same on each plate. I think I will put a stack of plates in the oven to warm as well, so everything is served Hot or appears as fresh as I can deliver. I made 5 Circles on 3 x 5 cards and judges can enter 1st, 2nd 3rd etc inside the circles. I intend serving with just butter until they have had several bites, then they can add syrup and there will be bacon and a bowl of fruit salad to serve alongside. I figure judges can write comments on the back. The Chief offers several ideas what to look for in judging. I also intend having everything ready so I can sit down and have breakfast along with the judges. That part will be a minor miracle.

As an incidental, which I didn’t first think about (!?!) I had to clean the house Today !! Vacuum the latest cat hair off the furniture and scrub the bathroom. I didn’t consider this part of the contest. Sheesh. Bonus points for everyone, incl me for having a spic and span house. Yeh-yeh, it’s not always picked up, clean yes, but not Guest Clean.

Finally, everyone deserves to enter a picture. I have yet to reach the digital age. I have a stack of 1930’s blue depression glass Fire King 4 inch casseroles. I always knew these would come in handy some day. I will bake the Dutch babies in these. Everyone else’s pancakes gets baked on my trusty cast iron griddle. I am most familiar with it so they will all get the same accuracy and care in making sure they look their best when served. Attached is a Fire King depression glass example.
I hope everyone is having fun with this.

Attachments

• Fire King bowl.jpg
    Fire King bowl.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 162
...I will make Alix’s batter tomorrow am, since I have never made Dutch babies.
Per Alix's approval, I found that a muffin tin worked great for making her recipe, especially since I wanted a smaller size for judging. I also found that 25 minutes in the oven at 350 was perfect. They puffed up beautifully and had a nice concave top shortly after coming out of the oven.

Also, you can't really see it in my photo, but I wrote letters A through E on the plate and put each pancake on top of a letter to avoid voter confusion. My score sheets were very simple. Nothing like a spreadsheet. Just five letters on a printed sheet, which they could either circle or put rankings next to. One of the "judges" actually wrote a little critique next to each letter.

And speaking of voting, my daughter and wife did vote, but I'll tell you right now that neither one voted for MY recipe, so I can't disqualify them for showing favoritism. :glare::LOL:

Last edited:
..... As an incidental, which I didn’t first think about (!?!) I had to clean the house Today !! Vacuum the latest cat hair off the furniture and scrub the bathroom. I didn’t consider this part of the contest. Sheesh. Bonus points for everyone, incl me for having a spic and span house. Yeh-yeh, it’s not always picked up, clean yes, but not Guest Clean. ......

You KNOW by the time people show up that cat will have spread hair all over again, right? I mean, you DO live with that cat! :LOL: Like following breadcrumbs, I can follow our kitty by picking up tufts of fur. :ermm:

Mom had an expression for how clean a house should be: Clean enough to be healthy ~ Dirty enough to be happy. Let's just say my kitchen is the picture of health, and the rest of the house is ecstatic!

Have fun with the pancake parties everyone!

[QUOTE=" Whiskadoodle said:]
Finally, everyone deserves to enter a picture. I have yet to reach the digital age. I have a stack of 1930’s blue depression glass Fire King 4 inch casseroles. I always knew these would come in handy some day. I will bake the Dutch babies in these. Everyone else’s pancakes gets baked on my trusty cast iron griddle. I am most familiar with it so they will all get the same accuracy and care in making sure they look their best when served. Attached is a Fire King depression glass example.
I hope everyone is having fun with this. [/QUOTE]

Somebunny said:
I love those depression glass casseroles whisk! Just fabulous!! The women in my family are all dish collectors we just love them....between Mom and I we have my grandmother's collection of depression glass. Ruby red, some green, some pink and the blue bubble dishes which were my wedding gift from Gram. I hope you enjoy your glassware a much as I do.
I am following this thread with interest, I do no have a pancake recipe :(. But would like one, so I am waiting to be wowed! Good luck to all the Chefs!
Creative editing........not sure what I did here, but I think it works ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my judges, and me, hiding in the shadows with the apron on.:chef:
I put the pancakes on a useful, but not very pretty baking sheet that was first made about the same time as the wheel was invented. And juat so everyone knows, it was a fairly close contest. There were no bad pancakes. But then again, none of you are Navy-trained.:LOL:

The contest is over, the points are tallied. At my house, the winner is.....

I'm e-mailing the results to Dawg and Pri-Fi. I am officially stuffed, and ready for a nap.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I just sent results from yesterday morning's contest at my house. There were 2 judges and Plenty of pancakes. Ms Dainty Eater is a trooper and tasted them all. Our Friend had 2nds on and I had pancakes for supper last night too :LOL:

Emailed the results, with pictures to DawgLover. Just PM'd the results to Pri-Fi, but without the spreadsheet or pictures. But the categories, points available, and how many points each entry received are there. Good luck everyone.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Forgive me PF, I made 'em, we ate 'em and voted. I totally forgot to PM you with our results. I've been offline a bit lately. Sorry!

Kids both voted for Steve's, I liked Whiskadoodle's. Chief's were almost identical to my usual recipe so we didn't vote for them (sorry Chief) and we decided not to vote for the dutch babies, as they weren't really a "flapjack" although we all prefer them to regular pancakes.

Kids both voted for Steve's, I liked Whiskadoodle's. Chief's were almost identical to my usual recipe so we didn't vote for them (sorry Chief) and we decided not to vote for the dutch babies, as they weren't really a "flapjack" although we all prefer them to regular pancakes.

Yeh, I should have posted and made my other creation, but thought it would give me an unfair advantage. Use breakfast sausage grease in the batter rather than cooking oil, and add genuine, wild Michigan blueberries. i also have this pumpkin pie pancake recipe that is just like eating the pie, but with my pancake texture. And then, there are those pancakes with the chocolate chips, and peanuts, but I also have these pancakes that taste like banana bread, and don't forget the chocolate pancakes, just perfect to top with Nutella. Oh the list goes on.

But for this contest, it had to be my most basic recipe. So it's alright that you didn't vote fore me. But if your ever in my neck of the woods, and you have a hankering for something a little different, maybe a little special, you know who I am. And don't believe anyone who tells you that Michigan Maple syrup is 2nd to any other maple syrup, anywhere in the world. I've tasted the stuff from St. Joseph's Island, Ontario (mighty good stuff), from the Western end of Ontario, from Sugar Island, Michigan, from Sault Ste. Marie, MI. area, from Vermont, and Maine. In the good years, you can't really tell one from the other. They all come from the same species of maple tree. It just depends on the weather in the area. Some years, the weather favors us. Some years, it favors the East coast, etc.

Now we need to find a rich sponsor, or DC person, who can fly us all onto his/her place for a smoked turkey showdown. 'Cause I'm not smoking 5 or more turkey on my Webber Kettle.:LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom