Filled Cake Doughmuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We've all had yummy, yeast raised filled pastries, as in Bismarck, Long Johns, Cheese Danish, etc. But have you ever had a filled Cake Doughnut. This is my creation, and tastes great. These doughnuts are filled with rene patisserie, as it goes so well with the nutmeg flavor of the doughnuts.

The Chief's Filled Doughnuts

Doughnut Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour

½ cup white sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 dash ground nutmeg

2 tablespoons melted butter

½ cup milk

1 egg, beaten

1 quart oil for frying

Mix together all ingredients except the butter, milk, and egg. Add the butter and mix well. Beat together tho the egg and milk. Mix into the four mixture. Knead for three minutes.

Creme Patissiere

Ingredients:
2 cups whole milk
1 tsp. real vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbs. cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt; for table salt, use half as much by volume
Yolks from 4 large eggs, straight from the fridge
2 tbs. unsalted butte, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Put milk and vanilla into a saucepan over medium-low heat. beat the sugar, egg yolk, and cornstarch intil smooth and creamy. Whwn the milk begins to simmer, remove a half cup, and slowly whisk it into the egg yolk mixture. Now drizzle the egg mixture into tyhe simmering milk while whisking vigurously. When the mixture begins to thicken, remove from the heat and pour into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, touching the to of the pastry cream. This will prevent a skin from forming on top. Chill in you fridge for a half hour.

Divide your dough into 3 equal portions. Roll out one portion of doughnut dough to an eighth inch thickness. Cut into circles with a biscuit cutter. Save the scraps to roll into more doughnut bottoms.

Roll the second dough-ball into a 1/4" snake. Brush the pastry circles with egg wash. Cut the snake and place as a rim on the doughnut circles. Scoop pastry cream into the middle of the doughnuts. Brush the pastry circles with egg wash. Roll out the third dough-ball as you did the first. Cut with the biscuit cutter and place the rounds on top of the doughnuts. Let sit for 5 minutes as you heat the cooking oil to 350' f. Gently place the filled doughnuts into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Flip and fry until done. Remove to a paper towel lined cooling wrak. Enjoy.

These are kind of trick, and need to be made on a floured surface so that the can be lifted with a cake turner and into the hot oil. But the are so worth it if you love good doughnuts,

Seeeeya; Ccief Longwind of the North

There are cake donuts, raised donuts...and then there are pączki. Although they are a yeast dough, they're heavy like sinkers. Now I'm not talking about what grocery stores pass off as pączki these days. I'm thinking of the old-fashioned Polish donut my great aunt used to make each year around this time. I know she used mashed potatoes in the batter. I'm thinking a recipe like this (I still haven't run across her recipe in my Mom's recipe boxes):
http://www.grouprecipes.com/18995/paczki---little-pillow-polish-doughnuts.html

There are cake donuts, raised donuts...and then there are pączki. Although they are a yeast dough, they're heavy like sinkers. Now I'm not talking about what grocery stores pass off as pączki these days. I'm thinking of the old-fashioned Polish donut my great aunt used to make each year around this time. I know she used mashed potatoes in the batter. I'm thinking a recipe like this (I still haven't run across her recipe in my Mom's recipe boxes):
Paczki - Little Pillow Polish Doughnuts Recipe

I love paczki. Here's a few recipes that look very goog :

https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/paczki/

https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/polish-paczki-donuts-recipe/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw9x5KFyvxY

Seeeeya Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom