Fig Newton Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've read numerous recipes on the net but this one is perfect!
I've never understood why everybody else cuts all the cookies first!? :wacko: Why not cook/bake the whole bar THAN cut up the cookies. ;) Sheesh! :chef:

I will be making this recipe today. :yum:

TY Sir! :)

I've read numerous recipes on the net but this one is perfect!
I've never understood why everybody else cuts all the cookies first!? :wacko: Why not cook/bake the whole bar THAN cut up the cookies. ;) Sheesh! :chef:

I will be making this recipe today. :yum:

TY Sir! [emoji2]
Because the traditional Fig Newton is not a bar cookie - it's a rolled cookie. But this recipe does look a lot easier.

My go-to for anything like that is Stella Parks on Serious Eats. Also known as Bravetart, she's won numerous awards for her book, Bravetart: Iconic American Desserts.

https://www.seriouseats.com/homemade-fig-newtons-recipe
I made these once a few years ago. If you use this recipe, be sure to keep the dough cool. I made them in the early fall on a pretty warm day. Even though I put the dough in the fridge frequently between steps, it got very soft and difficult to handle.

Rick, I have eyed that recipe but haven't made it yet. Now I know I will make it. All of her baked goods that I made (mini banana bread, mini gingerbread, pineapple upside down cake) have been winners. And I know that Ross is a fan of her chocolate cream pie, which is also on my must make list.

Rick, I have eyed that recipe but haven't made it yet. Now I know I will make it. All of her baked goods that I made (mini banana bread, mini gingerbread, pineapple upside down cake) have been winners. And I know that Ross is a fan of her chocolate cream pie, which is also on my must make list.
Ahhhhhh, chocolate cream pie, huh? That will be my next endeavor. :yum:

@Ross, Save yourself some time and effort by cutting the dough in half, use your fingers to shape the first half in the 8x8 pan then put that in the freezer. Now, repeat it and spread the 'jam' over the second half then flip the first half over pressing it down a little then bake as instructed. Voilà, no measuring, cutting or rolling any dough.
I really don't understand why she rolls, measures and cuts the dough in the first place? Doesn't make any sense to me.

BTW, I have an egg-less chocolate pudding recipe which isn't bad at all. I never did like tempering egg(s).

Last edited:
A wonderful pie.
She has a couple of versions, this is the one I use, too often. I often just make the filling as a pudding.

https://www.dessertfortwo.com/chocolate-cream-pie-2/

Also... I use prepared pie crust. I don't care for crumb crusts.

Hope you enjoy it.

Ross
I made one last week with no egg in it and used a Pillsbury store bought crust and it was fantastic... Think I'll make another one this week. I do have one pie crust left over. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom