February 1, 2023 what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this dried pasta at a gourmet shop a coupla towns up from us
IMG_2532.JPG
I remembered watching a Pasta Grannies video on You Tube about this pasta and thought we'd give it a try... it was a bit spendy ...
IMG_2548.JPG
The pasta took about 30 minutes to cook, just enough time to bake off the meatballs and heat the bread.
DELICIOUS!!!

Tuesday night I made a type of vada, using the leftover chickpea barley porridge, adding some sooji, or coarse semolina to stiffen it even more, then, instead of deep frying it (the usual way those are cooked), I brushed a small amount of oil on the surface of them, then cooked them in a NS skillet. Turned out great! I also cooked some bok choy, that I harvested from my hydro - started with a generous 3 c, and it cooked down to a generous cup.
Sort of a vada, made from the leftover chickpea barley porridge, with some semolina added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

7 outer stalks from the bok choy in the hydroponics. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Those bok choy stems, chopped up to about 3 cups. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The bok choy, cooked about 90 sec, with a tb of nam prick pao ready to stir into it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Bok choy, cooked with a tsp of soy sauce, and a tb of nam prik pao added for flavor. Cooked down to about a cup, from 3 c. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tonight, a friend came over, and I made some guacamole, with some avocados I had to use today, plus a Mexican omelette, with some ham, roasted green chiles, from the freezer, and some queso fresco. Plus I gave him the two leftover vadas from last night, to reheat.

I made Shrimp Destin tonight. I usually use Barilla pasta, but Pastene was on sale. Orzo is orzo, right? Wrong!! While Pastene orzo is fine for soup, it messed up the shrimp dish. The pasta absorbed the broth unevenly, seemed overcooked and mushy, stuck to the pan...and my teeth. It still tasted fine; the only part getting pitched is what stuck to and burned onto the bottom of my Staub. :confused:

20230201_191735.jpg

2/1/2023 was homemade Mongolian beef and fried rice. Grapefruit beer.
mongolian_beef_fried_rice_020123_IMG_0655.jpg

Back
Top Bottom