Favorite Pita Pocket Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My wife introduced me to this sandwich, and I have to say, it's a great sandwich. it should be famous:yum:!

Pita-Pocket Sirloin Steak Sandwich

Ingredients:
Fresh Bean Sprouts, washed
Ripe, Haas Avocado
Ripe, meaty tomato
Sirloin Steak
Mayonnaise
Coarse, spicy, Stone-Ground Mustard (optional)
Steak Sauce (optional)

Wash, and blanch the beans sprouts. Place in the refrigerator to cool.

Pan-fry, or grill the steak to medium rare. Chill in the fridge for ten minutes. While the steak is chilling, cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the avocado meat from the peeling. Slice sideways, and sprinkle with lemon juice. Thinly slice the tomato.

Slice the pita bread round into two halves. Use a butter-kife, or spoon to gently open the pita into a pocket. Remove the steak from the fridge and slice on the bias, thinly across the grain.

Spread the inside of the pita-pocket with mayo, and the mustard, or steak sauce. You could also add horseradish if so desired. Place a few slices of the steak into the pocket, followed by the tomato, avocado, and bean sprouts.

A young man, who didn't know how to cook, asked me to help him make a special meal for his mother's birthday. He didn't have a lot of coin. I knew that I could purchase one sirloin steak, with the other ingredients for relatively cheap, and make for him, his mother, and his two siblings a memorable meal to fill them, and one that tasted great.

The meal was a huge success, everyone was filled, and loved the sandwiches. The only caveat was that there was no mayo in the house. I used the blender to make a quick home-made mayo. They all loved that too, and didn't know you could make your own mayonnaise until I showed them how.

Make this sandwich for your family, and/or friends. It will be a hit in your home too.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sounds good... and if you're not into steak (or vegan), replace it with falafel, and the M&M with tahini dressing (tahini, lemon juice, EVOO, garlic, salt, water).

Gyro here, too.

At home, I find it impossible to duplicate the meat without the benefit of the vertical spit. Instead, I cube the lamb, marinate, and make grilled kabobs. Then I put the grilled cubes in the pita with all the usual gyro toppings.

Gyro here, too.

At home, I find it impossible to duplicate the meat without the benefit of the vertical spit. Instead, I cube the lamb, marinate, and make grilled kabobs. Then I put the grilled cubes in the pita with all the usual gyro toppings.

We make schwarma on the rotisserie of my Weber charcoal grill.

36788-albums1069-picture7135.jpg

36788-albums1069-picture7137.jpg

This go round served on homemade flat bread. This bread could have been cut open to stuff like pita. Homemade tzatziki. The schwarma was a combination of lamb and beef

Gyro here, too.

Kenji's recipe calls for baking it in a loaf pan. When ready to serve, cut it into slices and brown them under the broiler. Tastes very good.

Back
Top Bottom