Farmers Markets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, Kathleen, I agree with you. There's a market in taxy's stomping grounds that is extremely popular. Later in summer it really is their own produce/products. But early in the year, you can tell by what's on the tables - they made a super early trip downtown to the central warehouse distributer picking up those beautiful fully ripe tomatoes - which were brought in during the night usually from Florida. (my BIL has a trucking company)

We have several farmer's markets throughout the summer each week. I love to go to them and am often dazzled by what I find. However, I have become cautious. Last summer I purchased some peaches. I got them home and found a "supermarket" sticker on one of the peaches. Since then, I have sometimes seen supermarket stickers, which really saddens me as I do wonder why. I go to the markets to support local farmers. You know?
Yes, I've seen that in some markets as well. They're usually careful to remove the stickers, but sometimes they miss a few. It's not all that uncommon, really. Some markets will buy from local grocery stores if they're running low on one or two of their own products.

Our local farm market sits on its own land. Many acres of planting ground. They grow their own tomatoes, peppers, corn, 2 types of green beans, pumpkins (for Fall harvest), strawberries (in Spring), and many more options, and we're welcome to go out and browse their fields and pick our own fruits and vegetables.

Our local farm market sits on its own land. Many acres of planting ground. They grow their own tomatoes, peppers, corn, 2 types of green beans, pumpkins (for Fall harvest), strawberries (in Spring), and many more options, and we're welcome to go out and browse their fields and pick our own fruits and vegetables.
It's the same with the farmers market that sets up every Saturday downtown in my city. The primary farm is located about an hour south of here. They have a Facebook page where they post pictures of the produce as they're planting and harvesting. They even have a harvest festival with a corn maze and other activities.

It's the same with the farmers market that sets up every Saturday downtown in my city. The primary farm is located about an hour south of here. They have a Facebook page where they post pictures of the produce as they're planting and harvesting. They even have a harvest festival with a corn maze and other activities.
That sounds like loads of fun! I love harvest festivals. And it's good they stay accountable with their own products.

Our small open Market's have regular vendors. All are local farmers who are very proud of their products. Some have webpages, all have business cards and will take orders. Not at all like big 'downtown open air markets'.

Since this past Saturday was the first of the month, there were some special events going on at the market: A car show, a new exhibit with free entry at the art museum (the market is on the sidewalks around the two sides of the museum) and a band. Portsmouth is a pretty old city (in American terms) and we play that up, so there are historical reenactors greeting everyone.

This is how the market manager described it: "We always hear people say "you never know what you'll see at the Portsmouth Olde Towne Farmers Market," and it's absolutely true, as these photos show! 😁 If you couldn't make it yesterday, you missed a real slice of modern Americana, with everything from knitting circles to antique Chevys (w/matching kilts) to purse dogs to microgreens to Jamaican mocktails, Irish Dexter burgers, art bicycles, Colonials next to a '65 Corvair, people dancing to a Navy vet's music, a Pug in a stroller, Sri Lankan pastries, Portsmouth plant ladies, Tongan art, duck eggs, cinnamon bread, bagpipes, you name it. ❤️ But that's okay, because we do this EVERY Saturday, and all your friends (old, and new!) will be waiting for you next week at the downtown of our community, and the crossroads of Hampton Roads! 🛻
Portsmouth Olde Towne Farmers Market

Since this past Saturday was the first of the month, there were some special events going on at the market: A car show, a new exhibit with free entry at the art museum (the market is on the sidewalks around the two sides of the museum) and a band. Portsmouth is a pretty old city (in American terms) and we play that up, so there are historical reenactors greeting everyone.

This is how the market manager described it: "We always hear people say "you never know what you'll see at the Portsmouth Olde Towne Farmers Market," and it's absolutely true, as these photos show! 😁 If you couldn't make it yesterday, you missed a real slice of modern Americana, with everything from knitting circles to antique Chevys (w/matching kilts) to purse dogs to microgreens to Jamaican mocktails, Irish Dexter burgers, art bicycles, Colonials next to a '65 Corvair, people dancing to a Navy vet's music, a Pug in a stroller, Sri Lankan pastries, Portsmouth plant ladies, Tongan art, duck eggs, cinnamon bread, bagpipes, you name it. ❤️ But that's okay, because we do this EVERY Saturday, and all your friends (old, and new!) will be waiting for you next week at the downtown of our community, and the crossroads of Hampton Roads! 🛻
Portsmouth Olde Towne Farmers Market
I thoroughly enjoyed going through all those photos. Thanks for sharing. Wish I lived closer!

Back
Top Bottom