English Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've made English muffins a few times. It wasn't important to me that they be perfectly round, so I formed them into balls and flattened them. Whatever shape they ended up was fine with me.
I thought of that but was afraid I'd crush the nooks & crannies. I gather it's safe to squash, so may try your free-hand method.

heehee - I have a box of old tuna can 'rings' hanging around - just for this reason...
our kids liked Eng Muffins at (weekend) breakfasts and liked to 'help out' with the ring&griddle operation.

"mold rings" are available in many diameters - nice SS, bit pricey if you need a raft of them to griddle Eng Muffins....

check the Asian section - stuff like bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, etc, still come in three pc cans - i.e. removable top&bottom - side opener recommended....
and the cat food aisle - some still come in the 3 pc can.
....not quite 4" dia - but may work for you.
You only need a bunch of rings for English muffins if you let them do a second rise, which I do. If you are just using the rings to cut the dough, not to keep them from spreading during a second rise, then all you need is one ring. I have a feeling that it's the method that uses a second rise that gives the nice nooks and crannies.

there's a one step method?
newfangled garbage . . .
shortcuts general just wind up being quality cuts - I've never done them except the make / rise / cut / rise "overnight" style . . . .

there's a one step method?
newfangled garbage . . .
shortcuts general just wind up being quality cuts - I've never done them except the make / rise / cut / rise "overnight" style . . . .
I didn't know that either. It's a one rise process in the King Arthur recipe that Andy shared.

I didn't do them overnight. The recipe I have uses half the flour at first. When that sponge collapses, after about an hour or two, you add the rest of the flour and shape your muffins. Then you let the shaped muffins rise.

Because of advertising, most people think of Thomas' English Muffins when the subject comes up. We're guilty of that for sure. About 5 years ago I started making my own. I thought they were pretty good but SO and our granddaughter passed on them because they liked Thomas' "nooks and crannies". OK. I can live with that.

Recently, we hav been seeing another brand in the market. Bay's English muffins. They are in the refrigerator case with the pie crusts and pillsbury tubes of dough for cookies, biscuits, etc. I saw a review somewhere that really liked these Bay's muffins so we bought some. They come in a six pack like Thomas'. They are pre-sliced and are in a resealable package. Lots of "nooks and crannies".

They are really good. Flavor is on a par with or better than Thomas'. Anyone else tried these?
All I eve r buy is Bay's. My grandmother insisted they were the only good ones, and I took her advice back in the 1970s. The chew and flavor are great. Thomas's just tastes like bread by comparison.

I bake a lot of bread, but not English muffins. Orowheat does them well, and all that fiddling to get a muffin seems a bit much.
I agree with Silversage that Thomas' tastes like bread--Wonder bread to boot!

I buy Thomas' Light Multi-Grain English Muffins at the dead bread store down the street but the price in the local supermarkets is way too spendy for me and they never seem to offer them on sale.
I literally don't recall Thomas' english muffin ever NOT be "buy one get one free." Thats why they are almost always in my freezer.

I think I saw Bells brand at the Milton Fruit Center the other day. I'll take a closer look when I go there next.

I literally don't recall Thomas' english muffin ever NOT be "buy one get one free." Thats why they are almost always in my freezer.

I think I saw Bells brand at the Milton Fruit Center the other day. I'll take a closer look when I go there next.
Thomas’ does offer various BOGO’s and specials but for some reason they always exclude the high fiber lower calorie items.

When it comes to English muffins, in my kitchen, they are all just a vehicle for some other flavorful food so price is usually the determining factor.

I like having them in the freezer for a burger, garlic toast, poached egg, etc…

if you see them, try the Bay's - having eaten Thomas for decades,,,, I've switched.
they keep well - #1 they're refrigerated, #2 the wrapper self seals.

our use is similar - EggMcMuffin with sausage to eggs Benedict to cream cheese & smoked salmon to butter&jam. butmethinkstheystilltaste/crunchbetter.....

Ditto Aunt Bea. For me English Muffins are handy to have in the freezer. Doesn't mean I don't want to try making them. Try anything once (almost, don't get carried away now) twice if I like it. ;)

Also forgot to mention they are the base of one of my favourite 'go to' munchies in the freezer. Not sure I didn't post the recipe for 'Olive Cheese Melts'.

English Muffins are on my "gee, I should try to make that" list. Does anyone have a TnT recipe that they love?
I already shared mine here, in this thread. I learned to make them when we didn't have an oven, so the electric skillet got used to make them.

English Muffins here are plentiful. Seems like we have many bread companies making them. I buy whatever looks fresh.

Okay you guys got me! I had to go out and buy some Bay’s English muffins. Like many others I swore buy Thomas’s.
What a nice surprise! They really are better!!
Thanks for teaching me something new again.

English Muffins are on my "gee, I should try to make that" list. Does anyone have a TnT recipe that they love?
Same problem here. I have a set of rings that was a Christmas gift 2 years ago, they are still in their box. I have great intentions; honest.

This year for Christmas I asked for and received good orange marmalade (which I adore but cannot buy locally). I would up with 2 jars of Frank Coopers, 1 jar of Roses and 1 jar of Duerr's and a tin of rind to make my own.

I'm going to have to get serious about the muffins...

English Muffins here are plentiful. Seems like we have many bread companies making them. I buy whatever looks fresh.
My husband used to get day-old bread products from a bakery near where he used to work. That one bakery has contracts with a lot of different companies. They put the same muffins, buns, etc., in different bags and deliver them to different stores.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom