Electric stove tops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
My new house has a electric stove top, glass with a vent in the middle.
It's a little old. Still usable. Sits flat to the counter

Can cast iron be used on them.
What are the cooking rules? besides "Don't get stupid and walk away from them!" :LOL:
Complete newbie with them.

Munky.

there's multiple 'technologies' used for smooth glass cooktops.

regardless - the only 'danger' type issue is scratching the glass with a metal pan. the scratches can induced stress points in the glass, leading to damage / shattering / cracking / whatever.

for old cast iron, run your fingers around the edges/ridges to check for sharp 'bumps' - smooth out any 'bumps' using wet/dry 200-300 grit sandpaper.

other than that, you may "Cook When Ready, Gridley"

I have been told that one needs to be cautious of a pot as heavy as a water bath canner. Apparently, it can sometimes crack the glass by sheer weight.

I have an old glass stove top. I'm not sure how old, but it was here when we bought the place and that was in 2007.
I use my cast iron dutch oven, pots, grill pan, and fry pans. I'm just careful to lift, not drag them and I've had no problems.
I also have a 7 quart canner that I use, and although it is heavy when full, again there has been no problem.
The glasstop will need cleaning (no matter how careful you are, there will be spills and little messes). I use Ceramabrite and a nylon scrubby pad.

Just keep the glasstop clean and be careful with heavy pans, and I think you will enjoy cooking on it. I do!

Doing a happy dance here.:ohmy: (You don't want to see it, trust me) :LOL:

I absolutely love cast iron pans, have been slowly building up a nice comfortable collection over the years.I've taken very good care of every one.
Some of them are stored for safety in the original boxes.
Really glad that I won't have to give them up to someone who wouldn't appreciate them the way I do.
Now I just have to get used to not dragging the pans around the stove top.
Bad habit! I've always had gas and tough grates.
It's just another learning curve.

Thank you all for the very useful information. :chef:
Munky.

Yes, you can use cast iron in it, just don't DROP cast iron on it.

Hint not from Heloise: Don't buy that expensive glass stove top cleaner. Liquid cleanser is the same thing at a much lower price.

I use liquid Barkeepers Friend for cooktops on mine. Works great.
Helps that I can put paper towels between the pan and my cooktop, keeps the splatter and mess off the range.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom