Eating based on the food pyramid vs Mediterranean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"My doctor sends me for an MRI to examine the middle part."

I managed to control my issue with a change of diet, if it persisted capsule endoscopy was the next diagnosis.

Capsule endoscopy:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/capsule-endoscopy/about/pac-20393366

"Capsule endoscopy is a procedure that uses a tiny wireless camera to take pictures of your digestive tract. A capsule endoscopy camera sits inside a vitamin-size capsule you swallow. As the capsule travels through your digestive tract, the camera takes thousands of pictures that are transmitted to a recorder you wear on a belt around your waist.

Capsule endoscopy helps doctors see inside your small intestine — an area that isn't easily reached with more-traditional endoscopy procedures. Traditional endoscopy involves passing a long, flexible tube equipped with a video camera down your throat or through your rectum." END.

"Just because someone questions something doesn't mean there's a problem with it. Some people are just out to confuse other people and make money by solving "problems" they themselves promote. You have to be very careful about what you choose to believe."

Never accept information or opinions as gospel. Scientists, researchers, medical profession are not gods. Question everything and cross reference the source of the information. Scientific papers are peer reviewed and sometimes retracted. https://retractionwatch.com/

The bacterium Helicobacter pylori bacteria and the proof of a simple treatment is a prime example of the pharmaceutical industry trying to discredit medical research.

Robin Warren
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Warren

"John Robin Warren AC (born 11 June 1937, in Adelaide) is an Australian pathologist, Nobel Laureate and researcher who is credited with the 1979 re-discovery of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori, together with Barry Marshall. The duo proved to the medical community that the bacterium Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori is the cause of most peptic ulcers."

"At the University of Western Australia, with his colleague Barry J. Marshall, Warren proved that the bacterium is the infectious cause of stomach ulcers. Warren helped develop a convenient diagnostic test (14C-urea breath-test) for detecting H. pylori in ulcer patients."

"In 2005, Warren and Marshall were awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine." END.

Glyphosate.

https://www.env-health.org/campaign...to-protect-health-ban-the-popular-weedkiller/

"On the other side of the Atlantic, more than 100,000 people have already filed lawsuits against Monsanto (now Bayer) in the US, alleging that exposure to the glyphosate-based Roundup causes cancer. So far three cancer lawsuits have gone to trial, with juries returning verdicts of $2.424 billion against Monsanto for compensation and for failing to warn consumers that exposure to Roundup can be associated with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. In the meantime, Bayer just announced that it aims at moving away from using glyphosate for residential use in the US from 2023." END.

The reality is humans evolved with plants and animals and selectively breed plants and animals for human consumption. Broad acre farming, the use of pesticides and crop dusting are relatively new technologies in the evolution of the human race. No-one can say for certain what the long term effects are of pesticides. In my region, using pesticides to control fruit fly is banded. Commercial orchards must use pheromone traps.

It might seem to make sense, but that's not how the digestive system works. Everyone's body breaks down food into basic chemicals and uses those as needed to make new cells for different purposes. It doesn't matter what people are used to eating.

Well, yes and no. Yes, that's how the body works, but no - people are definitely products of their environment - as in evolution. The body changes.

I have inflammatory bowl disease

We also have IBS and various stomach issues. That's how I know about this.

This is the Mediterranean Diet:

• Eat: vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, potatoes, whole grains, herbs, spices, fish, seafood, and extra virgin olive oil
  • Eat in moderation: poultry, eggs, cheese, and yogurt
  • Eat rarely: red meat, sugar-sweetened beverages, added sugars, processed meat, refined grains, refined oils, and other highly processed foods
(from this: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mediterranean-diet-meal-plan#the-basics)

Do people know what moderation means? Probably not. My definition might be different than your definition and different yet again from how many ounces/week of any food prescribed by this lifestyle/diet.

Do I eat mediterranean? YES I eat completely mediterranean, without the
processed food (refined grain, oil, sugar), and animal products. Every single things I eat is on this diet, and less.

This is the Mediterranean Diet:

• Eat: vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, potatoes, whole grains, herbs, spices, fish, seafood, and extra virgin olive oil
  • Eat in moderation: poultry, eggs, cheese, and yogurt
  • Eat rarely: red meat, sugar-sweetened beverages, added sugars, processed meat, refined grains, refined oils, and other highly processed foods
(from this: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mediterranean-diet-meal-plan#the-basics)

Do people know what moderation means? Probably not. My definition might be different than your definition and different yet again from how many ounces/week of any food prescribed by this lifestyle/diet.

Do I eat mediterranean? YES I eat completely mediterranean, without the
processed food (refined grain, oil, sugar), and animal products. Every single things I eat is on this diet, and less.
Olive oil and some animal products are part of the Mediterranean diet. Your extreme vegan diet does not qualify.

Gotgarlic, qualify for what? Was there a contest or competition or something?

Well, yes and no. Yes, that's how the body works, but no - people are definitely products of their environment - as in evolution. The body changes.

Evolution takes a *really* long time. Homo sapiens has not changed much.

We also have IBS and various stomach issues. That's how I know about this.
IBS rarely, if ever, causes severe malnutrition or requires surgery to treat.

Evolution takes a *really* long time. Homo sapiens has not changed much.

<snip>

I think diet based on genetics applies to me. My ancestors have lived in the subarctic and arctic longer than it took the Swedes to go from dark skinned to white. So, yeah, with long time evolution, I believe they were adapted to a diet suited to that climate.

I think diet based on genetics applies to me. My ancestors have lived in the subarctic and arctic longer than it took the Swedes to go from dark skinned to white. So, yeah, with long time evolution, I believe they were adapted to a diet suited to that climate.
You're right. I was thinking of the blood type diet, which has been debunked.

It's surprising how quickly the human body can adapt. Irish settlers in Appalachia worked in coal mines, and were often too poor to afford shoes. The kids had to go barefoot through the harsh winters. Within a generation, they adapted, growing a rich supply of blood vessels that kept their feet warm. Their feet also became wider to better support them in the snow. So, when required, we can adapt.

Seeeeya; Chef Longwind of the North

Chief, I think that kind of adaptation is because we keep a lot of "useless" genes around. It turns out that they aren't always useless. It's how animals can change their basic camouflage colouration in very few generations when their environment changes, either because of changes to the environment or they moved. A great example of this is the moths in England that got dark to match the sooty trees during the industrial revolution and then reverted to their previous lighter colour when they air got cleaned up. (That was the simplified version.)

I just saw an article in Experience LIfe magazine and thought of this post.

they also discuss the:

Latin American Heritage diet
Asian Heritage diet
Native American Heritage diet

and

the
African Heritage diet.

all based on the people with that background.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom