E-Reader Cookbooks for Kindle and Nook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the initial judgement. The appeal is still in the works. Could be years before Apple gives up.

So the price increase that caused all this took place several years ago. Hopefully when the dust settles we can expect to see prices drop. There is little excuse for selling e-books at higher prices than printed versions, given the much much higher cost of production and transportation of printed media, and it's not like any of the increased profit goes to the authors. By attempting to force Amazon (and by extension all other online sellers) to move to an "agency" model, the publishers were basically attempting to rake off all that cream for themselves.

They're trying to pull similar tricks on libraries - new library e-book contracts are being written with a limited amount of "reads" that each book is allowed, on the order of 28. The excuse is that library books wear out and get replaced, but e-books never wear out, so the publishers are allegedly trying to make up for presumed losses.

In the first place, books don't wear out after a mere 28 times read. Because this is so, quite often when a book finally wears out it is so old and so long out of fashion that it is never replaced at all. Even paperbacks, which admittedly don't last nearly as long as hardbacks, tend not to be replaced.

In short, publishers are doing their level best to really wring the last penny out of the consumer over the issue of e-books. In the long run they're fighting a losing battle. I expect to see more and more authors moving to self-publishing, which costs pretty close to nothing when done in e-format, and given the very low per-book-profit that the author actually receives, even if half the people who read their books pirated them, they'd still be making craploads more than they do when its funneled through the greedy fingers of publishers.

Its true that good publishers do more than just print a book; but I can see a niche market springing up for talented editors, where authors would hire an editor to perform that function.

I don't buy e-books so it doesn't matter to me either way. I can understand why people prefer e-books because it's easier to keep them than to have all the print books around. I don't keep my books. Once I read them, I donate them to the library.

And we thought we were terribly modern and sophisticated in the 1950s and '60s when we started eating Italian food (in the UK at least).:)

Twenty first century consumers are supposed to be obsessed with sweet stuff but those 17th century cooks could give us a run for our money

Last edited:
Novels about cooks?

Does anybody know novels about cooks?

When I think of cooks in novels only Jack London's "Seawolf" comes to mind but there the cook is only a minor bad guy... :(

Would anybody among you care for a novel about a cook?

Does anybody know novels about cooks?

When I think of cooks in novels only Jack London's "Seawolf" comes to mind but there the cook is only a minor bad guy... :(

Would anybody among you care for a novel about a cook?
There is a wonderful movie about a cook, Babette's Feast based on a novel by Isak Dinesen, pen name of Karen Blixen. The movie is in Danish and the subtitles are very good. Babette is the cook. I won't say anything more about the movie/novel, because it would be spoilers. Babette's Feast by Karen Blixen — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Babette's Feast

Hello taxlady,

yesterday I started reading a new book about J.D. Salinger and that will still take me some days...

Right afterwards I'll read the book you've recommended. I see the book has only 54 pages. I was once told by a reknown novelist a story required at least 150 pages to be considered worthy of getting printed as a book. If a publishing house publishes such a thin book after all it must be very good.

Hello taxlady,

yesterday I started reading a new book about J.D. Salinger and that will still take me some days...

Right afterwards I'll read the book you've recommended. I see the book has only 54 pages. I was once told by a reknown novelist a story required at least 150 pages to be considered worthy of getting printed as a book. If a publishing house publishes such a thin book after all it must be very good.
I have only seen the movie, but it is in my list of 10 favourite movies.

Back
Top Bottom