Drying herbs at home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlingardener

Sous Chef
We grow and use a lot of herbs. Mostly fresh in season, but we dry herbs for winter use. I find that whole leaf, air dried herbs keep their taste better than the powdered herbs from the store.

I store them in glass jars in the cool, dark pantry, and with an overabundance, can share with fellow cooks.

Do you dry your own, or buy from the grocery?

I usually buy dry herbs from the store. I don't grow many. I do buy some live herbs. I often freeze fresh herbs, especially if I don't think I will use them up before they will go off.

when I grow it, I dehydrate it at 95 deg F. I've tried air drying chives for instance, they dry in the air and turn straw colored. I can get them to stay green if I use the dehydrator. We live in a very humid place, and I blame that. In a humid environment they take a long time to get very dry and the leaves seems to rot or ferment somewhat before they dry.

Then I store them in glass jars sealed, in the basement spice shelf. Sage, thyme, summer savory, chives, rosemary, and also teas: lemon balm, peppermint, spearmint, blackberry leaves, raspberry leaves, and also lettuce.

I grow a lot of herbs. Most woody herbs, like bay, sage, rosemary, thyme and mint are perennials here, so I have no need to preserve them; chives are perennials here, too, unless we get a sustained period of below-freezing temperatures, which is rare. I do like to dry thyme, though, because it's much easier to remove dried thyme from the stems. I let it dry out in a vase with no water in it. I agree with you that they keep their flavors and colors better when they're dried and stored as whole leaves.

Mints I do all the time. Sometimes in the dehydrator and other times just hanging in bunches . Dill I prefer to freeze as it freezes very well and doesnt lose its flavor.

Larry, you are absolutely right--dill does keep its flavor if frozen. I chop our dill for freezing, as I do basil and parsley. Do you chop yours, or freeze "whole stem"?
Jennyema, we don't grow mint, since we don't like it much. You may have made me a convert to growing and drying mint. Which mints do you grow?

I have a patch of spearmint, I've already cut and dried, which is now a foot tall again. If cut, it would fill a 9 tray excalibur dehydrator and fill a quart jar dry. I have at least 3 qts of it. For teas. If I knew one person that would appreciate it, I'd give it away. SE Wisconsin (PM me if you are in the area and want it)

I freeze dill, parsley, chives, and sometimes cilantro. I freeze those in "bouquets", rolled up tightly in waxed paper and then into a plastic bag. I "slice" off the tops of the bouquets to use the herbs. They don't usually need any more chopping than that. Then I put what's left back in the freezer. This works even better with curly parsley than with flat leaf parsley.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom