Dry roux gumbo...success

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
I used Isaac Topus gumbo recipe in the last (YouTube it) and always stirred roux for 45 minutes or more. I was afraid of high heat and burning it. This time I used the Americas Test Kitchen dry roux method, came out excellent. Cup of all purpose flour in a stainless steel skillet, 425f oven for about 45 minutes, stirring often. My days of stirring roux for 45 minutes are over.

Attachments

• PXL_20220928_213808114.jpg
    PXL_20220928_213808114.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 3
I just looked at the ATK process and I'm surprised there is no fat involved in the roux.
I was surprised about that too. But, I think it's because the fat is used, when pan frying roux, to allow the heat to get higher than it would with a water based liquid. It would get plenty hot enough in an oven. Flour has to get to some minimum temperature to lose its raw, pasty flavour. That temperature is above the boiling point of water. I don't remember what that temperature is.

Nice! Just curious if you noticed any difference in the flavor with the dry roux technique vs. the traditional.

We didn't notice a difference. I kept tasting the broth, so I wouldn't be influenced by the andouille and chicken. Nice deep smoky flavor. I will say toasting the flour smelled like burned popcorn, stunk up the kitchen good.

We didn't notice a difference. I kept tasting the broth, so I wouldn't be influenced by the andouille and chicken. Nice deep smoky flavor. I will say toasting the flour smelled like burned popcorn, stunk up the kitchen good.

Nice. I may have to try this one out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom