Dough - buy it or make it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you make your own dough or buy it at the store?

• Make it

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Buy it

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
i make it and i buy it. depends on the mood i am in. it is hard for me to make it as i am only baking for myself. hate to use all the indg. to end up throwing part of it away.

You don't have to throw it out, Babe. I regularly make 2 loaves and immediately freeze one. I slice the other and keep out a few slices, and freeze the rest. The multigrain and whole wheat breads I make most are fine when thawed out, and especially make great toast, so I take it from the freezer one slice at a time, unless I need more.

If I'm having company, I make rolls, or a fresh loaf. Even using organic, straight from the farmer flour that costs $1.50 per pound, I am saving money plus I don't worry about the flour issues I have with "regular" flour.

If I have the time I'll make my own bread or pizza dough but AP is what I'll use for pizza.

For yeast i use the stuff in the jar but the packets work too, pre-measured makes it easy.

If i get commercial I use it for sandwhiches or toast

Make ALL the bread products we eat and have been doing so for more years than I can count. Hamburger/hot dog buns, rolls, all types of breads, pizza, pita, English muffins, you name it. Do some by hand, use the bread machine as well as the KitchenAid mixer.

I make it if I have time, and particularly on special occasions, such as the holidays. But I also use frozen pie crusts and have found them to be acceptable. In fact, some are pretty good. Better a frozen crust than no pie at all!

268614319_tmYsC-S.jpg

Lemon Chess Pie in Frozen Crust

I've created my goto recipes for my hearth bread and pizza dough over the past year. I make about 15# of bread dough when I bake and 8# of pizza dough when my freezer gets low. I started out with a Kitchenaid, then to my Cuisinart food processor, to doing it by hand, to an Electrolux DLX. I built a Wood Fired Oven last summer, and it bakes some fantastic bread, although I've found I can get similar results with my home oven with a stone on the bottom and one on the top and a spritzer bottle. Anyway, I'll roll 6-10 pizza balls, bag & freeze immediately. Then I pull them out a day ahead of time for use. It's very convenient and they rise nicely. For bread, I'll bake 8-10 loaves and a dozen or so buns from a single batch. Leave one loaf out and freeze the rest. I use Caputo 00 flour for my pizza dough and a mix of Caputo 00 and Hi Gluten flour for my bread dough.

I always make it - I make french bread about twice a month, pizza dough once a month and dinner rolls about twice a week. I couldn't afford to buy that much dough at the store

So many companies do such a better job than I do. So I buy it, be it bread (quick or yeast), pie, etc, I buy it. For years my husband and I got into making it ourselves, but it was simply too inconsistent in results. So now I buy.

I don't make baguettes because I can't make them to suit myself. I like the REALLY hard crust (the kind that will tear the roof of your mouth if you're not careful) and that is nearly impossible in a home oven.

Otherwise, I really enjoy making and baking breads and rolls and coffee cakes. I have always liked working with yeast doughs. My favorite breads to make are Jewish Style Rye and Challah -- with a side of Cinnamon Swirl. :)

I am too lazy too make bread at home. As for pizza dough, I buy it at the store. Whole foods sells great quality pizza dough. I sometimes decide to make my own pizza dough, but most of the time I just hate cleaning up the mess.

I buy my pizza dough - amazingly it comes with pizza sauce, Italian sausage, onions, peppers, and olives on it and gets delivered :glare:

Back
Top Bottom