Do you think this works as well as the ad says it does ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I got this grape leave stuffer yesterday, and tried it out today.
Basic Use:
-Place leaf on device
-Make a well by pushing leaf into the the depression
-Put stuffing in well ( dont overfill)
-Roll by sliding the moveable piece
Pros:
- Relatively easy to use ( although there is a slight learning curve)
- Rolls are relatively tightly packed
- Rolls are uniform in size and shape ( for the most part)
- Possibly good for people with limited dexterity
Cons:
- Rolls are smaller than hand rolled
- Less filling inside these rolls than hand stuffed ( part of the learning curve)
- Not any quicker than hand rolling

Learning curve:
- Leaf selection ( a leave that is more solid is better than one with a lot of indents )
(the less it looks like a Maple leaf shape, the better)
- Placement of leaf (Roll towards the stem)
- Amount of filling ( Not too much , or it doesn't roll properly)

All in all, Id give it a B+
Not a must have , a one trick pony, but for 10$, so far its worth it
I think kids would get a kick out of using it ( big plus, although my kids are in their 20's)
Will I use it again, yeah probably
Will it hold up over time? Maybe , not the most sturdiest device.

Attachments

• IMG_4058.jpg
    IMG_4058.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4059.jpg
    IMG_4059.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4060.jpg
    IMG_4060.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4061.jpg
    IMG_4061.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4062.jpg
    IMG_4062.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4063.jpg
    IMG_4063.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 73
Seems like it would tear the leaves.

Concerns me it makes them small. The right amount of leaf to stuffing is important to me.

Now I'm all hungry for grape leaves. At work and luckily there's a good Greek restaurant within a half a mile.

Seems like it would tear the leaves.

Concerns me it makes them small. The right amount of leaf to stuffing is important to me.

Now I'm all hungry for grape leaves. At work and luckily there's a good Greek restaurant within a half a mile.

Surprisingly, it didn't tear the leaves, although leaf selection is important ( certain sizes and shapes do work better than others, but not much of an issue.

As far as stuffing to leaf ratio, definitely a potential issue, as you are limited how much you can put in to get a good, tightly wrapped roll.

Ive been gobbling them up all day, so Im pretty happy with it. For 10$ Im not disappointed , if I paid more, then maybe I'd be.

Again, if you have little kids, its kinda technically easy and I think they would get a kick out of doing it.

Well, I hit the Greek restaurant. I know many people of that heritage who rave about the place. It was on diners, drive ins and dives.

The grape leaves were ok. The chicken shawarma was dry as the day is long. I don't eat Greek food much, when I have meat is usually completely dry. Is that how it's supposed yo be?

When I was 19 I had a girlfriend who's grandma was Lebanese. I had grape leaves over there for the first time ever. I loved them, didn't think I would either. I've never had grape leaves that even come close to as good as those were.

No, Greek food should not be dry. Many of the recipes I've seen end with drizzling dishes with olive oil for extra moisture and richness. When food is dry, usually it's either overcooked or the cook used the wrong type of meat for the dish; for example, using a pork loin for long cooking when the more fatty pork shoulder should be used.

I tend to think of Greek food as succulent. I can only remember having meat that was a bit dry once. I have been eating Greek food since the 1970s. Dolmas vary a lot, but I have never had any I didn't like, though some were really, really good. Actually the best ones I remember having were made by an Armenian lady.

Back
Top Bottom