Do you think good hummus is underrated or overrated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love hummus but avoid premade. Typically they skimp on important ingredients that provide great flavor; tahini & olive oil

I haven't made hummus in a long time. But, I liked using canned chickpeas rather than cooking them, because the canned chickpeas I got had almost no skins left on the chickpeas. You might see one or two skins floating in the liquid and usually none on the chickpeas themselves. I thought that was standard.
I've never really paid attention to whether or not canned chickpeas had skins on them. I just know that the one time I skinned them, there were a lot of skins and the hummus had a very different texture.

Although this doesnt have to do with Hummus ( or chickpeas) , when I make my own soy bean tempeh, one of the steps is removing the outer skins after soaking. It doesnt have to neb %100, but a large majority of the skins need to be removed. It's a real treat removing them. They do loosen after soaking over night. I then rub the beans ( while submerged in water). Then I stir the liquid ( usually a few inches above the bean level) and being lighter, less dense, and just the way they are shaped, the move with the swirling water, and I can then scoop them up with a spider. Have to do it multiple times to get the bulk of the skins out.

I love hummus but avoid premade. Typically they skimp on important ingredients that provide great flavor; tahini & olive oil
It depends. The supermarket where I get my groceries have about half a dozen different brands, plus their own brand - and each one has a number of different types / consistencies / flavours / additions - in different size tubs, from 150gm to 1kg.

As I am no longer able to make the many things I used to, I buy ready-made hummus, and am able to chop and change which ones I buy. The only ones I do not buy are those that are too hot/spicy, due to stomach problems. I like them - my stomach does not.

I was very skeptical of buying ready made hummus. But, there is a small company that makes a lot of Middle Eastern foods and they make good hummus. Could I make better hummus? I'm sure I could. Do I have the spare spoons to do that? Not so much. I really should consider adding a bit of garlic and black olives. Those are easy enough to whiz up by machine. Now, I just need to find some tasty black olives that are already pitted. I can usually only find bland, e.g., California, "Spanish style", black olives that are sold pitted. Hmm, I can find tasty green olives that are sold pitted. I should try adding that.

@taxlady, if you can find Lindsay green olives over any other kind of green olives, you might like them better. To me they are less 'bitey' than other green olives. The vinegar isn't as strong, to my taste buds and they are my favorite kind of green olives.

I was very skeptical of buying ready made hummus. But, there is a small company that makes a lot of Middle Eastern foods and they make good hummus. Could I make better hummus? I'm sure I could. Do I have the spare spoons to do that? Not so much. I really should consider adding a bit of garlic and black olives. Those are easy enough to whiz up by machine. Now, I just need to find some tasty black olives that are already pitted. I can usually only find bland, e.g., California, "Spanish style", black olives that are sold pitted. Hmm, I can find tasty green olives that are sold pitted. I should try adding that.
In my experience, only bland olives are sold in cans. The good stuff, Kalamata for example, are sold in jars. Around here you can get them pitted and pitted and sliced. Look in the pickle and condiment section of your market.

This thread led me to aquafaba.

The idea of making something from nothing always appeals to me.

Do any of you have any experience with whipping the liquid from canned chickpeas into aquafaba?

This thread led me to aquafaba.

The idea of making something from nothing always appeals to me.

Do any of you have any experience with whipping the liquid from canned chickpeas into aquafaba?
I have done it and it works. It whips up like egg whites. In my opinion, it takes a lot to mask its flavor. Not that it tastes bad, it's just that even after adding her ingredients to make it taste good, it usually still has that underlying bean liquid flavor. I've done it several times, never quit got the results I was hoping for, so haven't done it since. For savory recipes it may be better. Maybe someone else had a more positive experience than I did.

Back
Top Bottom