Do you think good hummus is underrated or overrated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my mind, there is no good or bad hummus. It's just bland, mashed up beans. I don't particularly care about it one way or the other. If it's the only snack on the table, I'll have some, but if there are other offerings, I'll pass it by.
I'm not a fan of most middle eastern foods. There is just sonething in the flavor profiles that just doesn't tickle my taste bids.

My answer is "no". I don't think it's overrated or underrated.

I like hummus. I really like the hummus recipe from Joy of Cooking. It's pretty standard, but there are black olives added. The olives go into the food processor with the chickpeas. It does make the colour of the hummus a bit greyish (or purplish if you use Kalamata olives), but it adds a really nice, interesting flavour.

In my mind, there is no good or bad hummus. It's just bland, mashed up beans. I don't particularly care about it one way or the other. If it's the only snack on the table, I'll have some, but if there are other offerings, I'll pass it by.
I'm not a fan of most middle eastern foods. There is just sonething in the flavor profiles that just doesn't tickle my taste bids.
Agree with Silversage 100%.

My answer is "no". I don't think it's overrated or underrated.

I like hummus. I really like the hummus recipe from Joy of Cooking. It's pretty standard, but there are black olives added. The olives go into the food processor with the chickpeas. It does make the colour of the hummus a bit greyish (or purplish if you use Kalamata olives), but it adds a really nice, interesting flavour.
I've made it with Kalamata olives and really like it that way. Also with roasted red peppers (no olives). Also good.

I mostly use hummus for sandwiches, for the creaminess, then add the olive relish or sliced tomatoes. It's also good on a 'not meat' hamburger. I use it when I don't have a tofu cream sauce for sandwiches.
I have a friend that dilutes the hummus and uses it for a salad dressing on lettuce/tomato/etc salad or a potato salad. It works well on both. I think she adds pickle brine, water/vinegar, and spices.

I mostly use hummus for sandwiches, for the creaminess, then add the olive relish or sliced tomatoes. It's also good on a 'not meat' hamburger. I use it when I don't have a tofu cream sauce for sandwiches.
I have a friend that dilutes the hummus and uses it for a salad dressing on lettuce/tomato/etc salad or a potato salad. It works well on both. I think she adds pickle brine, water/vinegar, and spices.
Leftover hummus is also a nutritious addition to tomato based ‘cream’ soups and pasta sauces.

Leftover hummus is also a nutritious addition to tomato based ‘cream’ soups and pasta sauces.
It's funny you should say that. I never heard of hummus used for this before until yesterday, when my wife said she saw someone mention it in one of her Vegan forums. Honestly, I made a face when she told me, cause it doesnt sound like something I'd do, and now Im seeing it again. Maybe I should try it.

Depends on the hummus. I've had good ones and too many meh from the factory brands. And even a few losers at restaurants too though most have been worthwhile.

The best hummus I ever had was from a restaurant in NYC called Hummus Kitchen ( on 9th st up near the theater district). I couldn't believe what I was eating. I've had hummus so many times in my life and made it countless numbers of times, but nothing compared to this. Mine was good, theirs was great. I also loved that they served it toped the a drizzle of Olive oil, and a few mixed olives on top. It became one of our go to places every time we visited the city, but no other time was like that first experience. Im not sure if I just got used to it, or they changed up their recipe. Still good, but not ass outstanding as I remembered.

I'm starting to make my own hummus, so I enjoy what others have added. I tried to add red pepper to one of my recipes, but I think I added too much. It was not great. Frank adds cayenne to his which gives it a nice perk. Not much, just a bit. I really like hummus, but it has to be good meaning no stale ingredients. One of the best wraps I ever had used hummus with cucumbers, peppers, tomato, etc. It was just amazing.

The best hummus I ever had was from a restaurant in NYC called Hummus Kitchen ( on 9th st up near the theater district). I couldn't believe what I was eating. I've had hummus so many times in my life and made it countless numbers of times, but nothing compared to this. Mine was good, theirs was great. I also loved that they served it toped the a drizzle of Olive oil, and a few mixed olives on top. It became one of our go to places every time we visited the city, but no other time was like that first experience. Im not sure if I just got used to it, or they changed up their recipe. Still good, but not ass outstanding as I remembered.
Cooks Illustrated had an article about and recipe for hummus a year or two ago. Apparently the key to the best hummus is to peel the skins off before puréeing it. You boil canned chickpeas with baking soda and it loosens the skins, but it's a huge pain imo to separate the beans from the skins. The hummus was amazingly smooth, though. It's not worth the effort to me, but that's probably what good restaurants do.

The Middle Eastern store where we get takeout from puts minced peppers with a little pickled pepper juice on their hummus. It's really good.

I've made various types of hummus, usually with a lot of seasonings in them, rather than the bland, traditional type. I actually made some to snack on for today, with some garlic, a few anchovies, and kalamata olive paste - one of my favorites. I've also made a variety with some roasted, peeled red bell peppers, and some roasted garlic. It's all according to your own personal taste. And here's something I do a lot - I use channa dal, from the Indian market, which is a type of chickpea, that has been split and hulled, making for a very smooth hummus (I've also made bean dips with many other lentils and beans). Even in a Vitamix, canned chickpeas will have some texture, unless cooked more, and skinned, as GG noted that recipe by ATK says to do. I don't go that far with them, but I pressure cook dried ones about 50 minutes, which gives a very soft chickpea, which grinds up smooth in the VM, even without skinning it.

I haven't made hummus in a long time. But, I liked using canned chickpeas rather than cooking them, because the canned chickpeas I got had almost no skins left on the chickpeas. You might see one or two skins floating in the liquid and usually none on the chickpeas themselves. I thought that was standard.

Back
Top Bottom