Disappointed in an old favorite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
my Dad introduced me to the Cadbury Carmelo bar when I was about ten years of age. It was love at first bite. I then tried other Cadbury bars, and loved the unique flavor of the milk chocolate, with its pronounced dairy flavor. Well, I jus had a bit of Cadbury a Dairy milk bar, very sweet, and doesn't taste nearly as good as it used to. The chocolate is meh, at bI believe Hershey's now has rights to produce under the Cadbury brand in the U.S. I'd heard that The original Cadbury changed their chocolate recipe, ot make it cheaper to produce. I won't be tempted by Cadbury products anymore. First, they downsize the Carmelo, then raise its price, then produce a lower quality chocolate. And if Hershey's is the U.S. maker, they didn't improve anything.

I'll just stick with Lindt, Dove, and a few other brands when I want that rare chocolate fix. I'd rather have a small amount of high quality chocolate than a bunch of the lesser quality cholates.

What's the name of that chocolate candy that has raisins, and nuts in a thick, square bar. I always enjoyed those, along with Maple Bun candies, and Ritter Sport dark chocolate with hazelnuts.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What's the name of that chocolate candy that has raisins, and nuts in a thick, square bar. I always enjoyed those, along with Maple Bun candies, and Ritter Sport dark chocolate with hazelnuts.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chunky

Last edited:
my dad introduced me to the cadbury carmelo bar when i was about ten years of age. It was love at first bite. I then tried other cadbury bars, and loved the unique flavor of the milk chocolate, with its pronounced dairy flavor. Well, i jus had a bit of cadbury a dairy milk bar, very sweet, and doesn't taste nearly as good as it used to. The chocolate is meh, at bi believe hershey's now has rights to produce under the cadbury brand in the u.s. I'd heard that the original cadbury changed their chocolate recipe, ot make it cheaper to produce. I won't be tempted by cadbury products anymore. First, they downsize the carmelo, then raise its price, then produce a lower quality chocolate. And if hershey's is the u.s. Maker, they didn't improve anything.

I'll just stick with lindt, dove, and a few other brands when i want that rare chocolate fix. I'd rather have a small amount of high quality chocolate than a bunch of the lesser quality cholates.

What's the name of that chocolate candy that has raisins, and nuts in a thick, square bar. I always enjoyed those, along with maple bun candies, and ritter sport dark chocolate with hazelnuts.

Seeeeya; chief longwind of the north

chunky-chocolate-bars.jpg

Chief, if you make a trip to Canada, try the Cadbury chocolate. It is probably still the good stuff.

About 10 or 15 years ago, I visited my sister in SoCal. I brought some Hershey's bars of milk chocolate with almonds and toffee. So, delicious. My sister was absolutely surprised that a chocolate bar made by Hershey was so good. I tried buying one while I was there. It wasn't nearly as good of chocolate. I don't know if it is still the case that the Canadian versions taste better.

Sir_Loin, and Mrs. Moffet, Chunky, that was it. And Canada has the Nestle Aero Bar, also much better than the Hershey version. I also used to like the little Ice Cube chocolates. Though I don't think Mars/M&M chocolate is as good as many others, it's pretty good, and has stayed consistent over the years. it''s pretty hard to beat a dark chocolate Milky Way, or Snickers, or even peanut M&M's. I wishthey still made Mars almond bars. For snacking around the house, it was Brach's Stars, or malted milk balls, non-pariels, double dipped chocolate coated peanuts, and chocolate coated raisins.

The best chocolate is hand made treats with white, milk, and dark coverture chocolate, tempered properly, and placed into a mold with various nuts, and cream fillings. The problem is finding good coverture chocolate.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, are there any horehound candy likes out there. I used to eat them as a young boy, as my great grandma loved sharing them with me. I thought they were horrid. But I pretended to love them, asit made her happy.

Seeeeya/ Chief Longwind of the North

Cadbury´s was bought out by Mondelez, an offshoot of Kraft.
No sooner had they made the purchase when they started fiddling with the recipes, adding bucketloads of sugar and scrimping on ingredients to make moe profit.
Such a shame, because Cadbury´s was not only a British icon, but also made some decent chocolate. Now they make chemically charged chocolate-flavoured sugar bars:mad:

Cadbury´s was bought out by Mondelez, an offshoot of Kraft.
No sooner had they made the purchase when they started fiddling with the recipes, adding bucketloads of sugar and scrimping on ingredients to make moe profit.
Such a shame, because Cadbury´s was not only a British icon, but also made some decent chocolate. Now they make chemically charged chocolate-flavoured sugar bars:mad:
this is true, I have an old friend who was a chief engineer at cadbury, retired now he started there 60 years ago. He said the buyer denied they changed the formula but everyone at cadbury Uk says its not the original recipe.
You can order imported cadbury on amazon.

Back
Top Bottom