Dinner, Saturday March 18th 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Porchetta spiced pork tenderloin. It cooked a little more than I wanted. Should have checked temp a few minutes earlier, but it was still tender and moist. Craig is working on seconds.

Potatoes are a version of Ina Garten's fennel, onion and potato gratin. I used ParmR instead of gruyere. They are umm, umm good!

Vegetables are a medley of corn, black eye peas, onions, red bells and green peas. I sauteed the red bells and onion in butter and EVOO, steamed the corn and black eye peas separately, then added the green peas at the very last. A high end restaurant makes something similar and they cook everything separate, then combine at the end so as not to muddy the individual flavors.
20230318_185741.jpg

On Fri. I mixed up a new WonTon filling recipe, Sat. started filling them, late in the day.

So supper consisted of a couple of test Wonton and a bunch of grapes.

I think I mis-measured the ginger... woof! still good but... woof!
Also tried my hand at their way of hand chopping/grinding meat. Not bad, like it especially for chicken as I don't particularly like ground chicken.

Actually no, medtran, they don't mention frozen. Nor did I even think to do it. Just realized I didn't mention the site. It is Woks of Life. They give specific instructions and there is even a video. Grind meat by Hand
I have only done the chicken. Would/will try it with pork, but I think I like ground beef OK being done by the store.
I did once use my hand grinder (you know, attach to the table old fashioned kind) on some scrap beef tenderloin after having sectioned up a huge tenderloin. OMG was that deliciously hamburger tender! WOW.

Actually no, medtran, they don't mention frozen. Nor did I even think to do it. Just realized I didn't mention the site. It is Woks of Life. They give specific instructions and there is even a video. Grind meat by Hand
I have only done the chicken. Would/will try it with pork, but I think I like ground beef OK being done by the store.
I did once use my hand grinder (you know, attach to the table old fashioned kind) on some scrap beef tenderloin after having sectioned up a huge tenderloin. OMG was that deliciously hamburger tender! WOW.
Thanks. I bookmarked and will try next time I need chicken or pork like that. Still think I'd do it partially frozen though.

I have ground a fair amount of meat using one of those old, hand crank, meat grinders. Thanks for this link. I saved it to CMT. I am sure it will be a different texture.

Doing it by hand is probably why the Brits call it "mince". They were doing mincing meat before the meat grinder was invented in the 1840s.
Thanks. I bookmarked and will try next time I need chicken or pork like that. Still think I'd do it partially frozen though.
Yeah, I think I will partially freeze it before trying that. It sure looked like having the meat wiggle less would help.

I think part of the point of only cutting it thru 'almost' to the bottom is to keep easier to turn several times.
Freezing is more so that you can make super thin cuts, all the way thru.
Don't forget, this is only cutting 1/4" spaces. IMHO
Not saying of course whether or not the freezing will make it easier, but I'm not too good at timing... I'll only remember the damn thing is in the freezer when I turn the burner on. :mad:

I think part of the point of only cutting it thru 'almost' to the bottom is to keep easier to turn several times.
Freezing is more so that you can make super thin cuts, all the way thru.
Don't forget, this is only cutting 1/4" spaces. IMHO
Not saying of course whether or not the freezing will make it easier, but I'm not too good at timing... I'll only remember the damn thing is in the freezer when I turn the burner on. :mad:
I set a timer. Otherwise, I would freeze things solid before I remembered. Partially freezing makes the meat stiff. It doesn't wiggle while you are trying to cut it. In that video, there was a part where the meat was visibly wiggly and making it harder to cut correctly.

I have so many timers and alarms set - take this pill now, take out of freezer, get ready for appointment, alarms goes off and dog asks to go out, cat throws up - spill coffee across table just barely missing the computer -

and poof... what alarm? oh, when did it go off?
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
how long to forget.jpg and my number is 1 and 4!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom