Dinner 7-30-2019 ~ National Cheesecake Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I wonder if salt and pepper, AKA Joey, is baking one of his beautiful creations today. Besides National Cheesecake Day, you could also celebrate National Whistleblower Day or National Father-in-Law Day (I had a really good one :heart: ).

The only cheese around here today will be on our dinner plate salads. Hot HOT outside, so we'll enjoy cool plates full of mixed greens, assorted veggies, and bits of leftover steak from yesterday, some grilled chicken that Himself did for future meals while cooking the steak, and maybe some small shrimp from a bag of peeled-but-raw shrimp in the freezer.

What are you fixin' up to fix up for tonight's meal?

We finally have a NICE day, 73 deg F, woo hoo.

I made up a spaghetti sauce that has a nice fennel aroma from the seeds.
Then I cooked up a spicy bean recipe from one of the members here, it turned out so good and this is the 2nd time I'm making it. (no chili powder but it uses ginger and ground mustard)
Then I made up some carrot cake balls, as a sweet treat for my sweetie.
I washed up 2 pails of garden kale and one pail of 3 kinds of salad lettuce.
Cooked down the kale chopped it up, either to eat by itself or put into a soup/stew.
Picked cucumbers to go in the ice cold cooler, more tomorrow, time to make pickles.
Yay cooler weather!

Stopped @ Steak N Shake, after a movie, and had a taco salad (me) and a bacon cheeseburger for Jeannie.. We were so into talking about the movie, we let our food, well the burger, get cold.. :ermm:

Ross

I went to lunch with my "Lunch Bunch" ladies today, so I'll be eating the leftover pizza for dinner. My poor Souschef had periodontal surgery on his gums today, so he'll be having clear broth and watermelon. He's not suppose to have solid food for two weeks, so this should be velly interesting.

DH had offered to take me out to dinner tonight, since it's my last night before surgery and I'll be laid up for a while. I'm not feeling up to it, though, so we're going to order pizza from our local pizza place.

I went to lunch with my "Lunch Bunch" ladies today, so I'll be eating the leftover pizza for dinner. My poor Souschef had periodontal surgery on his gums today, so he'll be having clear broth and watermelon. He's not suppose to have solid food for two weeks, so this should be velly interesting.
Ooh, nothing solid at all? I had my mouth wired shut for six weeks after a car accident that broke my jaw. I had things like fish and rice, mashed potatoes and gravy and spaghetti with tomato sauce - no veggies or meat. Can he have foods like that?

Sorry, Sous Chef :( I know how challenging that is.

Oh my I had that too! It’s miserable. I pray for fast healing. I ate lots of smoothies. One thing to remember is that he will be very sensitive to cold things.

I saw this recipe on another Social Media Site,
and thought that DH might like this … just minus the Mayo though.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes...ehid=ae7903e14d8a1ee6d4b56302e4fcd2dccc45140e

We'll see what happens :chef:

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

I changed it up a touch:
omit Mayo :doh: (DH HATES that)
used 1 c diced cooked CB/S Chicken Thigh
1/2 C diced Ham
3/4 C shredded Swiss (that's all I had)
2 Green Onions, rough chopped
2 Tbsp homemade Honey Mustard, made with Spicy Brown Mustard

It was okay, but DH doesn't want it added to the regular rotation :rolleyes::LOL:

It was hot today for Mass residents so I cooked outside. Did roasted beets on my grill and cheesesteak/peppers/onions on the camp stove. Enjoying my outdoor “kitchen” very much. The onions were from my garden. One is called Ailsa Craig, a sweet onion that weighs about 1lb. I also cooked a couple potato onions which are good storage onions. I still have five left from last August harvest!

It was hot today for Mass residents so I cooked outside. Did roasted beets on my grill and cheesesteak/peppers/onions on the camp stove. Enjoying my outdoor “kitchen” very much. The onions were from my garden. One is called Ailsa Craig, a sweet onion that weighs about 1lb. I also cooked a couple potato onions which are good storage onions. I still have five left from last August harvest!

https://www.rareseeds.com/ailsa-craig-onion/

bbq-I've heard about the renowned Ailsa Craig. That's awesome.
Onion-People-Sasha-2-(1).jpg

I might have to try that next year. Great work.

The whole episode with my eye irritation from new eye drops has, surprisingly, exhausted me. So, we put out bread and cheese and cold cuts and some lettuce and condiments. Then we just made ourselves various sandwiches and called it supper.

Last edited:
Air Fryer Pork Loin Chop on a bed of Fried Apples, Mashed Maine Spud

w/ Creamed Corn Gravy, Cut Asparagus...

Not too pleased with the Chop in the Air Fryer.... seared it off first, but still, the Fryer pulled a lot of the moisture out of the Chop.... maybe I'll try it one more time, Panko-coated...

IMG_1225.jpg

Last edited:
Part of the reason I grew them was their reputation that they grow up to 5lbs. Not sure what you would do with such a massive onion. If you check out the reviews here https://www.dixondalefarms.com/product/ailsa-craig/long_day_onions#reviews. People raved about how long the onions stored through the winter.
They are long-day onions, so we can grow them here. We simply must try next year. I've had one pound onions, walla walla and candy, and they started to sprout after 3 months of storage, so we chopped and chopped and froze them. We've also chopped, caramelized, and pressure canned onions. Good luck bbq, I'll look for your pictures and to hear how the storage time worked for you.

Pressure canning onions sound interesting. I do have one but only used it for tomatoes.

Does anyone have a "cold celler"? I have a room underneath my family room that is sort of unheated. It doesn't get below freezing, usually in the high 30s, low 40s. I keep my onions/potatoes there.

In the past, my onions sprouting were like this:

Long Red of Tropea - sprouted Sep/Oct
White Onions - Dec/Jan
Yellow/Red - March/April
Yellow Potato Onions - still going strong in August!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom