Dijon mustard vs mustard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Relish is a pretty wide description. Probably for the US, it´s a cucumber/dill pickle mixture with added sugar and a few spices, although I´ve had some pretty amazing corn relish.However, it could also include piccalilli (chow-chow) or what we Brits call a "pickle" (Branston pickle, for example)

The "relish " idea could also be extended to include chutneys.
In this case, people are referring to dill cucumber pickle relish. Sweet pickle relish is made with bread and butter pickles, which are made with sugar. So the sugar is already in the pickles - it's not added separately.

I know there are many things called relish, but Larry, Ross ? you seem to be referring to a specific savoury relish. What is in it?

I think it's just like sweet relish, but without the sugar or other sweetener. I grew up with the savoury one and really prefer it. I haven't seen the savoury one in Quebec, with one exception. I used to be able to get a really nice savoury, pickle relish at the health food store. The brand was Cascadian Farms. But, since they were bought by some big corporation, I haven't seen that relish again.

On the topic of relish, there's a famous place in Jersey that sells deep fried hot dogs, but their relish is what sets them apart. It's bright, bright green, almost glowing like it's radioactive.

As far as mustard goes, we have spicy brown, dijon - both wholegrain and smooth, yellow, Coleman's powder, Chinese yellow, horseradish, Dusseldorf style, Polish, curry, truffle, raspberry, and cranberry.

The last three I received in a Christmas gift basket and have yet to try them. I can't quite picture what raspberry or cranberry mustard might taste like.

And I bought the Dusseldorf mustard because it comes in these little beer mug looking glass containers. My wife loves drinking juice from little, funky glasses for some reason.

On the topic of relish, there's a famous place in Jersey that sells deep fried hot dogs, but their relish is what sets them apart. It's bright, bright green, almost glowing like it's radioactive. ...

All the supermarket, pickle relish I see here in Greater Montreal is like that, and sweet. I don't eat food that colour and I really dislike sweet, pickle relish.

My use of Sweet Pickle Relish aside from the prestated Hot Dogs 'n Hamburgers is in mixed salads (pasta, egg, tuna, etc), cream cheese, and ... something else for which my mind is blank this morning.

Also most 'other' forms of relish are what I would call chutneys or chow-chows.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom