Dijon mustard vs mustard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
what is the difference? I already have 2 jars of mustard in the frig but a ham glaze recipe calls for Dijon mustard. Will I ruin my ham glaze recipe by using mustard instead of Dijon mustard?

No, you won't ruin it at all.

Different mustards have slightly different flavors and textures. So if you use a different mustard, it will taste slightly different from the same glaze made with Dijon. But it will still be good ham glaze. Use any mustard you like.

I wouldn't say there are only slight differences in flavor among different types of mustard, but I do agree that you can use any mustard you like on ham.

what is the difference? I already have 2 jars of mustard in the frig but a ham glaze recipe calls for Dijon mustard. Will I ruin my ham glaze recipe by using mustard instead of Dijon mustard?

Just two? I have regular yellow mustard, Dijon mustard, horseradish mustard, spicy brown mustard, and whole grain mustard, plus dry mustard in my spice rack. They all have specific uses.

The major difference between yellow mustard and Dijon mustard is wine, usually chardonnay, in the Dijon. It's a French thing.

Last edited:
A Dijon mustard is a good deal spicier than a classic US Yellow mustard, and doesn´t have added spices like turmeric or paprika in it. English mustard will be stronger still; I´ve yet to taste a hotter mustard than Colman´s. German mustard might be sweeter and darker; Ancient mustard will have beer, or wine in it.Finally, some mustards are smooth, others have whole mustard seeds in them.
As GG says, you can use which ever mustard you like; they´ll all work, just give a slightly different flavour profile to the finished ham.

Are the 2 jars you already have different? That stuff will keep for donkey's years. I typically keep Yellow Mustard and Dijon Mustard on hand.

Yellow mustard for Hot Dogs and Hamburgers and Dijon for practically everything else.

oops, forgot I also have Keene's Powdered Mustard in the cupboard.

I haven't had yellow mustard in decades. We usually keep spicy brown mustard on hand , until a few months ago, we were in West Virginia and got a hot dog with yellow mustard and savory pickle relish on top.

I was pleasantly surprised how good the combo tasted together, Not that a spicy brown would have taste bad, but just hadn't had it before. Also, naive me didnt realize relish could be savory. I always thought of relish being sweet.

I now have a bottle of yellow mustard on hand, and have been making savory relish with all the pickles I have from the summer.

Just shows and subtle changes could make a difference

I love mustard, and have many. Dijon grainy is my everyday go-to mustard,
Polish mustard, that's the spicy one.

I haven't had yellow mustard in decades. We usually keep spicy brown mustard on hand , until a few months ago, we were in West Virginia and got a hot dog with yellow mustard and savory pickle relish on top.

I was pleasantly surprised how good the combo tasted together, Not that a spicy brown would have taste bad, but just hadn't had it before. Also, naive me didnt realize relish could be savory. I always thought of relish being sweet.

I now have a bottle of yellow mustard on hand, and have been making savory relish with all the pickles I have from the summer.

Just shows and subtle changes could make a difference

Exactly...
We use classic yellow for hot dogs and burgers. Sweet relish for hot dogs and mac salad, savory relish for burgers, potato salad, etc.
Just enough of a difference to enjoy that difference.

Ross

I know there are many things called relish, but Larry, Ross ? you seem to be referring to a specific savoury relish. What is in it?

I know there are many things called relish, but Larry, Ross ? you seem to be referring to a specific savoury relish. What is in it?

The one I had just tasted like ground up dill pickles , nothing special, just never had a pickle like that before. Its possible there was more in it.

I made some home made by grinding up a pickle to relish consistency , but because im using homemade pickles that are a little softer than I like, also ground up some raw cabbage and mixed it in to add a little Crunch and t worked perfectly.

There is a Mustard Specialty shop somewhere in Ontario, near Ottawa. Saw it on a show once. Think it was all homemade mustards.

found it, Mrs McGarrigles Fine Food & Mustard.

Last edited:
1st pic is the WV Dog, Yellow mustard with savory pickle relish
(tasted better than it looks. Was a side of the road join, and tightly wrapped in foil). The next place was a sit down

2nd pic was just outside of Knoxville TN, Cabbage slaw, Sweet relish, Yellow mustard.

I musts say, for someone who doesnt like sweet relish ( me), it really tasted pretty good.

Funny how I remember places by the food I ate there. Found both these pics in seconds. Both fond memories.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.04.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.04.02 PM.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.05.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.05.47 PM.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 16
Well Said, like poetry.

Never been to either of these, but on my to do list.

National Mustard Museum
https://mustardmuseum.com

Crap! There used to be a Mustard Store in NYC, Never got a chance to go and now Permanently Closed. You Snooze, You Loose.

https://www.glenwoodnyc.com/manhattan-living/maille-boutique-upper-west-side/

We, in Springfield, MO have our own mustard company.

From Google.......

French's mustard factory, Springfield, MO
Many of Reckitt Benckiser's most well-known food products are manufactured in Springfield, at the company's plant at 4455 E. Mustard Way. As the address suggests, the plant manufactures French's Mustard. It also produces Frank's RedHot sauce, Cattleman's barbecue sauce and French's French Fried Onions.

Ross

I can two kinds of mustard, a whole seed dijon and a yellow mustard. When I open a jar of the whole seed dijon, I put some in my nut/coffee grinder cup, with vinegar and a little salt, and blend it smooth, and keep that in the fridge for a third kind, a smooth dijon.

Relish is a pretty wide description. Probably for the US, it´s a cucumber/dill pickle mixture with added sugar and a few spices, although I´ve had some pretty amazing corn relish.However, it could also include piccalilli (chow-chow) or what we Brits call a "pickle" (Branston pickle, for example)
The "relish " idea could also be extended to include chutneys.

Back
Top Bottom