Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I should probably also mention that I'm currently taking a short course of prednisone for an eczema outbreak. And I just read that steroids can cause spikes in blood sugar because it makes the liver insulin-resistant, so that triggers the pancreas to stop producing insulin, therefore resulting in higher blood glucose.

However, my first dose of the prednisone was today, so I don't think I've been on it long enough to cause my sugar to rise so high, unless just one dose can cause the spike.

It's most likely because I haven't eaten much today. So before I left for the store, I drank a low-sugar nutrition shake and when I got back, had a Thomas' English Muffin (multigrain). So hopefully that helps.

I need to find a balance. Because it's obvious I can't eat only tiny amounts, yet I need to lose weight at the same time.

:blink:

It's enough to make you go bonkers.

Oh, I should probably also mention that I'm currently taking a short course of prednisone for an eczema outbreak. And I just read that steroids can cause spikes in blood sugar because it makes the liver insulin-resistant, so that triggers the pancreas to stop producing insulin, therefore resulting in higher blood glucose.

However, my first dose of the prednisone was today, so I don't think I've been on it long enough to cause my sugar to rise so high, unless just one dose can cause the spike.

It's most likely because I haven't eaten much today. So before I left for the store, I drank a low-sugar nutrition shake and when I got back, had a Thomas' English Muffin (multigrain). So hopefully that helps.

I need to find a balance. Because it's obvious I can't eat only tiny amounts, yet I need to lose weight at the same time.

:blink:

It's enough to make you go bonkers.
One thing to keep in mind is that eating protein and carbs together keeps your blood sugar more steady than eating one or the other alone. For example, have some peanut butter or cream cheese on your English muffin, or some veggie or tortilla chips with hummus, or a quesadilla with chicken and cheese. Pinwheels are easy to make: spread a tortilla with seasoned cream cheese, layer on ham and cheese, or thinly sliced roasted chicken and cheese, shredded lettuce and roasted red peppers, roll up and refrigerate. Slice and eat.

You need to reduce your calorie intake but don't go overboard. It took time to put on the weight; it will take some time to take it off. Losing one pound per week is considered a healthy rate.

Have you ever tried yoga? It emphasizes strength, flexibility and balance, and I found it to be very relaxing as well. At the beginning level, it's not physically demanding, and you can proceed at your own pace. I took one class a week for years and did some of my own practice in between. You can also find videos and apps online. I really should get back to it.

I also have a guided meditation app where I can set it for a specific amount of time. I do 30 minutes at bedtime, but I can also do five or ten minutes during the day if I want to. Might be worth a try to help get your anxiety under control.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is that eating protein and carbs together keeps your blood sugar more steady than eating one or the other alone. For example, have some peanut butter or cream cheese on your English muffin, or some veggie or tortilla chips with hummus, or a quesadilla with chicken and cheese. Pinwheels are easy to make: spread a tortilla with seasoned cream cheese, layer on ham and cheese, or thinly sliced roasted chicken and cheese, shredded lettuce and roasted red peppers, roll up and refrigerate. Slice and eat.

You need to reduce your calorie intake but don't go overboard. It took time to put on the weight; it will take some time to take it off. Losing one pound per week is considered a healthy rate.

Have you ever tried yoga? It emphasizes strength, flexibility and balance, and I found it to be very relaxing as well. At the beginning level, it's not physically demanding, and you can proceed at your own pace. I took one class a week for years and did some of my own practice in between. You can also find videos and apps online. I really should get back to it.

I also have a guided meditation app where I can set it for a specific amount of time. I do 30 minutes at bedtime, but I can also do five or ten minutes during the day if I want to. Might be worth a try to help get your anxiety under control.

Tortilla roll-ups and wraps are a favorite thing of mine. In fact the pinwheel ingredients you mentioned are an exact replica of the ones I've made several times. I usually throw some protein in with the wraps. Last night, for example, I had a wrap with shrimp, as well as veggies and other stuff tossed in.

Yes, I've tried yoga, but with my bursitis and joint pain, it's hard for me to do a lot of the positions. I have to sort of go at my own pace and I have to go slow or I'll pull something and won't be able to walk for 3 days :LOL:

I'm sure it would be good for my anxiety, no doubt.

Um, perhaps I'm seeing things? Someone posted that they have a recipe guide that may help, but when I clicked on the link, I see no such post. So they must have deleted it. Which is a bummer.

Back
Top Bottom