Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who is they? I don't believe the medical establishment recommends the keto diet, except for children who suffer from seizures. It's very trendy, but there are no long-term studies showing that it's safe and effective and there are some downsides.

This is just one source I read: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...mate-low-carb-diet-good-for-you-2017072712089
That's a good question! Those people preaching the advantages of the keto diet are medical doctors or whatever, being paid by whoever is paying for those 3 hour long advertising spots on the PBS stations around here. A while back - 1 1/2-2 yrs ago maybe - about half of the weekend PBS shows were keto diet shows, at least around here! I asked myself, who is benefiting from this enough to do this "advertising"? One answer - meat, and processed meat producers! Of course, a huge industry has spawned from it, but that's another story, like when they label bottle waters gluten free - do do they label them "keto friendly", as well?

That article said about the same things they (in this case, the medical establishment) said way back - that there are dangers, and no long term studies proving its safety, or any of those advantages touted.

Here's another Harvard article on keto:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-you-try-the-keto-diet

Hi Linda,

My wife was diagnosed 5 years ago with type 2 diabetes. At the time her blood sugar was in the high 200's and A1c was over 9. She was put on a Gliperide/ Metformin combination, a blood pressure med, and a statin. She also had symptoms of neuropathy in one foot--something she had never mentioned.

We had seen first hand how bad type 2 can be and I wanted to do everything that was possible to help her not share in that fate. I should mention at this point I'm the chief "galley slave"in our house. I tried to find out as much as I could before the meeting with the dietician a few days later, because it was all new and food seemed to now be the enemy.

The plan she followed was a counting carb diet, I believe it was 45 per day, and using plate proportions of mostly veg and limiting meat to 3 oz portions, things all recommended by the dietician. I also went on the exact same diet as she did for two reasons. First I wanted te be supportive and make it easier for her and secondly I'm too darn lazy to make 2 separate meals. Most of our food was home made and made from scratch, which was pretty much how it was before--it was just different foods and prep. For example we found that she could still have homemade pizza with a very thin crust, or some bread by using 50/50 white and whole wheat flour and have her glucose stay within reason.

I should mention we used the USDA Nutritional Data base as our reference for carb information. I have not compared this to Cronometer, so I can't say how it compares.

We had settled into a routine, at least food was no longer the enemy.

18 months later, about 40 -50lbs lighter Her A1c was 5.1 her avg glucose readings were under 100. Her meds had been adjusted to a Glipizide/Metformin combo and I would have to ask about lower dosages of the other two. She'd had a few episodes of hypoglycemia so that's what had led to med changes.

6 Months after that she had been eating a whole food plant based diet (vegan) for a couple of months. I had sort of found my way to eating that diet after my own medical problems and had encountered something about it possibly having a positive effect on neuropathy and I asked if she'd want to try it for a couple of weeks to see. She said she'd give it a go. After a few months it was time for her check up and this time the doctor took her off all her medications. Her numbers are about the same to this date, and she no longer even checks her glucose levels.

Did the WFPB diet get her off the meds? Not per se. She did take a few more pounds off, but what really did it was this: At her check up 6 months previously the dr asked what's you blood sugars run, she said " about 100" I knew they weren't that high, so when she had her next appointment we took our records--we kept a log. Again she was asked the question, she gave the same answer-- then I showed him the log. We had data--it was good enough to take her off the statin and glip/metformin meds. Blood pressure was really good and it was the next visit she was taken off that med as well.

She now has maintained her weight and has stayed off meds, and luckily her foot has improved, though there is some numbness. She now eats a vegetarian diet with a little cheese on her pasta or pizza. She isn't strict about the vegetarian, but has only had couple of salmon patties in the past few years---so it really is very little.

Now our dr literally says, " You don't have it" when refering to her diabetes.

I don't know if you're familiar with the theory that insulin resistance can be caused by fat build up in the muscles, if not Neal Barnard MD has a good explanation and you can find that at PCRM.org or on youtube--if your aren't familiar and are interested.

To sum up this the ADA/ dietician recommended guidelines worked for my Wife. The WFPB diet may have helped, but if one's goal is maintenance it's a good place to start. At first it was hard enough getting into the swing of it. I can't emphisize enough, it most likely her weight loss and reduction in fat in her diet that was probably the most helpful. She recently lost another of her sisters to complicatons from type 2 and has two remaining siblings. One has type 2, the other doesn't--the difference between the two isn't luck it's lifestyle( at least in her family)one is over weight and has been for decades the other has always been active and stayed trim.

The best of luck to you.

Bob

Hi Linda,

My wife was diagnosed 5 years ago with type 2 diabetes. At the time her blood sugar was in the high 200's and A1c was over 9. She was put on a Gliperide/ Metformin combination, a blood pressure med, and a statin. She also had symptoms of neuropathy in one foot--something she had never mentioned.

We had seen first hand how bad type 2 can be and I wanted to do everything that was possible to help her not share in that fate. I should mention at this point I'm the chief "galley slave"in our house. I tried to find out as much as I could before the meeting with the dietician a few days later, because it was all new and food seemed to now be the enemy.

The plan she followed was a counting carb diet, I believe it was 45 per day, and using plate proportions of mostly veg and limiting meat to 3 oz portions, things all recommended by the dietician. I also went on the exact same diet as she did for two reasons. First I wanted te be supportive and make it easier for her and secondly I'm too darn lazy to make 2 separate meals. Most of our food was home made and made from scratch, which was pretty much how it was before--it was just different foods and prep. For example we found that she could still have homemade pizza with a very thin crust, or some bread by using 50/50 white and whole wheat flour and have her glucose stay within reason.

I should mention we used the USDA Nutritional Data base as our reference for carb information. I have not compared this to Cronometer, so I can't say how it compares.

We had settled into a routine, at least food was no longer the enemy.

18 months later, about 40 -50lbs lighter Her A1c was 5.1 her avg glucose readings were under 100. Her meds had been adjusted to a Glipizide/Metformin combo and I would have to ask about lower dosages of the other two. She'd had a few episodes of hypoglycemia so that's what had led to med changes.

6 Months after that she had been eating a whole food plant based diet (vegan) for a couple of months. I had sort of found my way to eating that diet after my own medical problems and had encountered something about it possibly having a positive effect on neuropathy and I asked if she'd want to try it for a couple of weeks to see. She said she'd give it a go. After a few months it was time for her check up and this time the doctor took her off all her medications. Her numbers are about the same to this date, and she no longer even checks her glucose levels.

Did the WFPB diet get her off the meds? Not per se. She did take a few more pounds off, but what really did it was this: At her check up 6 months previously the dr asked what's you blood sugars run, she said " about 100" I knew they weren't that high, so when she had her next appointment we took our records--we kept a log. Again she was asked the question, she gave the same answer-- then I showed him the log. We had data--it was good enough to take her off the statin and glip/metformin meds. Blood pressure was really good and it was the next visit she was taken off that med as well.

She now has maintained her weight and has stayed off meds, and luckily her foot has improved, though there is some numbness. She now eats a vegetarian diet with a little cheese on her pasta or pizza. She isn't strict about the vegetarian, but has only had couple of salmon patties in the past few years---so it really is very little.

Now our dr literally says, " You don't have it" when refering to her diabetes.

I don't know if you're familiar with the theory that insulin resistance can be caused by fat build up in the muscles, if not Neal Barnard MD has a good explanation and you can find that at PCRM.org or on youtube--if your aren't familiar and are interested.

To sum up this the ADA/ dietician recommended guidelines worked for my Wife. The WFPB diet may have helped, but if one's goal is maintenance it's a good place to start. At first it was hard enough getting into the swing of it. I can't emphisize enough, it most likely her weight loss and reduction in fat in her diet that was probably the most helpful. She recently lost another of her sisters to complicatons from type 2 and has two remaining siblings. One has type 2, the other doesn't--the difference between the two isn't luck it's lifestyle( at least in her family)one is over weight and has been for decades the other has always been active and stayed trim.

The best of luck to you.

Bob

Thank you so much for sharing this. It's stories such as these that give me hope that it can be beaten, it can be turned around. I'm still in the prediabetes stages and I'm hoping to prevent full blown diabetes from coming on. I'm still reading books, gathering information on the internet, etc, and have started to watch my carb intake. Baby steps for me because I have a lot of dietary habits I'm going to have to break.

There are a lot of paths people can take to turn around pre-diabetes. DH was diagnosed with it about a year ago. He is into exercise and fitness, so his path involves high-energy exercise - he follows an exercise plan where he runs and does calisthenics a few days a week and rides his bike a few days a week. He also walks our dog every day (weather permitting).

Recently we've been carb cycling. On his high-intensity workout days, we have pasta or rice. On low-intensity days, we don't, or he doesn't. I make an extra veg for him, or for us and have him eat most of it.

He was at the doctor last week and the doctor said he's sickeningly healthy [emoji38] His A1C is normal, his cholesterol levels are very good and his blood pressure is lower.

So you don't necessarily have to eliminate simple carbs to turn it around. Good luck.

Last edited:
That's a wonderful story, Bob.

Linda, you might want to look over information on the Mediterranean diet, too. It was originally touted as good for heart health, but doctors are finding out that it's very helpful for people in avoiding/improving glucose readings, too. It's heavy on plants, but not full-on vegetarian.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/diet/is-mediterranean-diet-best-diabetes/

The book I'm reading, the 2-Day Diabetes Diet (the strategy is similar to what GG mentioned about carb cycling) has a lot of Mediterranean influence on the foods and recipes listed. According to this book, of all the 'diets' out there, eating the Mediterranean way is the way to go.

There are a lot of paths people can take to turn around pre-diabetes. DH was diagnosed with it about a year ago. He is into exercise and fitness, so his path involves high-energy exercise - he follows an exercise plan where he runs and does calisthenics a few days a week and rides his bike a few days a week. He also walks our dog every day (weather permitting).

Recently we've been carb cycling. On his high-intensity workout days, we have pasta or rice. On low-intensity days, we don't, or he doesn't. I make an extra veg for him, or for us and have him eat most of it.

He was at the doctor last week and the doctor said he's sickeningly healthy [emoji38] His A1C is normal, his cholesterol levels are very good and his blood pressure is lower.

So you don't necessarily have to eliminate simple carbs to turn it around. Good luck.

Glad he's turned it around. I'm sure exercise would help me a lot, but exercise is a 4-letter word to me. So I try and walk when I can. That's about the extent of my physical activity.

But yeah. I'm trying to change my diet - again. Gotta cut back on those carbs and watch hidden sugars in other foods I eat.

Excellent tips and information from everyone, thanks again so much. I welcome any other comments/feedback/advice.

Shirataki Noodles are a great alternative to regular pasta. They can be found in both spaghetti and linguine shapes, and are relatively neutral in flavor. They are low carb, and nutritious.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Shirataki Noodles are a great alternative to regular pasta. They can be found in both spaghetti and linguine shapes, and are relatively neutral in flavor. They are low carb, and nutritious.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you for the suggestion. But I've tried those noodles and, for lack of a better way of putting it, I gagged so hard from the smell of those things (yes, I rinsed them) that I nearly tossed my cookies. I also did not like the texture. I couldn't handle more than a couple of bites.

I've also tried whole grain pasta. I know whole grain pasta isn't low carb like the Shirataki noodles are, but whole grain foods are better for me than white pasta, white rice, white breads, etc. However, again, it's a textural issue for me. So if I'm going to have pasta, it's probably going to be regular pasta. I just won't eat it very often. Things I can't give up, I'm going to have to limit.

Thank you for the suggestion. But I've tried those noodles and, for lack of a better way of putting it, I gagged so hard from the smell of those things (yes, I rinsed them) that I nearly tossed my cookies. I also did not like the texture. I couldn't handle more than a couple of bites.

I've also tried whole grain pasta. I know whole grain pasta isn't low carb like the Shirataki noodles are, but whole grain foods are better for me than white pasta, white rice, white breads, etc. However, again, it's a textural issue for me. So if I'm going to have pasta, it's probably going to be regular pasta. I just won't eat it very often. Things I can't give up, I'm going to have to limit.

Shirataki noodles are unpleasant smelling when opened. They need to be rinsed under cold, running water for a few minutes to remove the unpleasant aroma and flavor. Once rinsed, they are neutral in flavor. Other nodles that can be used are Soba Noodles (made from buckwheat), and cellophane noodles, (also known as glass noodles,and bean thread noodles). These noodles are especially good in Asian dishes. If you take the cellophane noodles out of the package, and plunge them into a wok-full of hot oil, they expand dramatically, turning into a lightly browned, mildly crisp noodle that makes a perfect bed for stir fry, to site upon. Cooked in water, they are lo mien noodles, and if cooked in hot oil, they become chow mien noodles.

These alternative noodles, especially the soba noodles are great with a good ragu.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Shirataki noodles are unpleasant smelling when opened. They need to be rinsed under cold, running water for a few minutes to remove the unpleasant aroma and flavor. Once rinsed, they are neutral in flavor. Other nodles that can be used are Soba Noodles (made from buckwheat), and cellophane noodles, (also known as glass noodles,and bean thread noodles). These noodles are especially good in Asian dishes. If you take the cellophane noodles out of the package, and plunge them into a wok-full of hot oil, they expand dramatically, turning into a lightly browned, mildly crisp noodle that makes a perfect bed for stir fry, to site upon. Cooked in water, they are lo mien noodles, and if cooked in hot oil, they become chow mien noodles.

These alternative noodles, especially the soba noodles are great with a good ragu.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I rinsed them. Which did reduce the smell. But I still couldn't deal with the texture.

Cellophane noodles, omg, that brings back memories of when we dropped the noodles into the wok and they puffed up in seconds, like they're supposed to do, but oil got splashed onto the stove and we nearly set the kitchen on fire, lol. Not funny then, but it's funny now thinking about it.

Oh my goodness! Just made myself a blueberry smoothie and it's so amazing. I used about 1/2 cup of wild blueberries (frozen), a low-sugar vanilla yogurt and a couple splashes of milk. Then, in keeping with the time of year, I couldn't resist dumping it into my son's mummy cup :LOL:

Attachments

• Blueberry Smoothie.jpg
    Blueberry Smoothie.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 185
Have you considered taking regular exercise along with reduced carb and sugar?

Regular exercise is one of the best ways to reduce your chances of health problems like heart disease or type 2 diabetes. But if you’re not an active person, starting an exercise plan and actually sticking with it can be incredibly difficult.

Studies have shown more than half of us ‘drop out’ of exercise plans after just six months, reverting to inactive lifestyles. And it’s therefore vital we find ways to make exercise more tolerable and enjoyable.

Have you considered taking regular exercise along with reduced carb and sugar?

Regular exercise is one of the best ways to reduce your chances of health problems like heart disease or type 2 diabetes. But if you’re not an active person, starting an exercise plan and actually sticking with it can be incredibly difficult.

Studies have shown more than half of us ‘drop out’ of exercise plans after just six months, reverting to inactive lifestyles. And it’s therefore vital we find ways to make exercise more tolerable and enjoyable.

Yes, I walk when I can. I'm not into heavy workouts or anything, though. I prefer relaxed exercise. Another thing I like doing is getting down on the floor and doing a lot of stretching and moving my limbs around. Feels good to do that, especially since I have hip bursitis and excessive joint pain.

I'm falling apart at the seams over here :ermm:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (I love the look on people's faces when they ask me what type diabetes I have and I answer "gestational") about 8 years ago. My primary put me on 10 units of insulin twice a day if my blood sugar reading was over 100. Then the insulin dosage started climbing until by 2018 I was shooting 100 units a day of 70/30 insulin! I had my first experience with hypoglycemia in 2018 and I had no idea WTF was going on. I started sweating and getting dizzy and sleepy and could barely sit up. Fortunately I was eating macaroni and sauce at the time, so after I went to lie down it soon went away. Afterwards I realized what had happened, so the next time it happened I was ready for it and I grabbed my meter and took a blood sugar reading. It was 48! That's when I went to a progressive insulin injection method. If my reading was 110 I shot 10 units, 120 I shot 20 units, etc. Then I ended up in the hospital with compression fractures of my T-12 and T-11 vertebrae. After eight hours on the operating table and enough hardware in my spine to start my own Home Depot, I ended up in a rehab facility to learn how to walk and take care of myself again. I bet none of you even missed me for the 12 or so weeks I was computerless, did you?

The doctor at the rehab facility had a different approach. If I was below 200, no insulin. Above 200, progressive increments by two units. They started testing me 3 times a day, then twice a day, and finally one fasting reading when I would wake up every morning. I still take my 500mg of metformin twice a day, but I haven't had a reading of 200 or above in over 10 weeks, so I have 5 vials of 70/30 insulin just waiting to expire. Once I get back to California, I will be seeking out the advice of an endocrinologist.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (I love the look on people's faces when they ask me what type diabetes I have and I answer "gestational") about 8 years ago. My primary put me on 10 units of insulin twice a day if my blood sugar reading was over 100. Then the insulin dosage started climbing until by 2018 I was shooting 100 units a day of 70/30 insulin! I had my first experience with hypoglycemia in 2018 and I had no idea WTF was going on. I started sweating and getting dizzy and sleepy and could barely sit up. Fortunately I was eating macaroni and sauce at the time, so after I went to lie down it soon went away. Afterwards I realized what had happened, so the next time it happened I was ready for it and I grabbed my meter and took a blood sugar reading. It was 48! That's when I went to a progressive insulin injection method. If my reading was 110 I shot 10 units, 120 I shot 20 units, etc. Then I ended up in the hospital with compression fractures of my T-12 and T-11 vertebrae. After eight hours on the operating table and enough hardware in my spine to start my own Home Depot, I ended up in a rehab facility to learn how to walk and take care of myself again. I bet none of you even missed me for the 12 or so weeks I was computerless, did you?

The doctor at the rehab facility had a different approach. If I was below 200, no insulin. Above 200, progressive increments by two units. They started testing me 3 times a day, then twice a day, and finally one fasting reading when I would wake up every morning. I still take my 500mg of metformin twice a day, but I haven't had a reading of 200 or above in over 10 weeks, so I have 5 vials of 70/30 insulin just waiting to expire. Once I get back to California, I will be seeking out the advice of an endocrinologist.

I actually used to be hypoglycemic. Dealt with low blood sugar for many years. Now it's doing a reverse.

However, my blood sugar readings are kind of up and down. Sometimes my fasting blood sugar is around 130'ish and sometimes it's around 115. The highest I've seen it so far is 174, but that was right after a meal. Kind of pointless to check my sugar right after I've eaten, but I wanted to see how high it goes just after consuming a normal plate of food. After a couple of hours, it slides back down, but rarely goes below 130. That's about where it's been hovering lately.

My doctor said I don't need meds yet. She's going to let me try and control this with diet (cutting back on carbs, eating more veggies and fiber, etc) and she wants me to lose weight as well. I need to anyway. I'm not obese, but I could stand to lose about 30 pounds. My doctor said losing just 10-15% of my weight could make a difference in my glucose levels.

Soooo... I'm cutting back on carbs and portion sizes and trying to toss in some 'powerhouse' foods, like the blueberries in my smoothie, adding extra veg as sides, etc. Had asparagus as a side yesterday and today for lunch I had salmon and whipped butternut squash. For snacks I usually keep hard boiled eggs handy and if I need a salty crunch, I go for my pork rinds. I love potato chips (crisps for those of you across the pond) but I have those only once a week.

When I was a personal trainer, sports nutritionist and senior fitness instructor, I studied all the "new" diet fads available and decided the best low carb diet was South Beach and the best overall diet was the Zone Diet (40-30-30), which I still follow. In addition to the Zone Diet, I also preach and practice serving sizes of 4oz of low fat protein, 1/2 cup of carbohydrates with less than 10% simple carbs, and 1 cup of vegetables. Corn and peas are NOT vegetables, they are carbohydrates! This is the same meal plan they used in the rehab center, which is one of the reasons I lost 60 pounds and manage to keep my blood sugar below 200 without insulin.

Back
Top Bottom