DeMeyere pan shuts down induction range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markk58

Assistant Cook
I have a DeMeyere Atlantis frying pan that turns my entire induction range off once it preheats to 350 degrees. That's right, it turns off the element it is sitting on, any other elements that are on at the time, and the oven too! I know that it happens at 350 degrees because when I preheat my pans I use a grill surface thermometer.

The base of the pan is about 1-1/2 to 2" smaller than the element, but I have used similar sized pans on that element and had no problems. I tried using a smaller element and the same thing happened.

In the past, this wasn't much of a problem, because all I had to do was turn everything back on and the range would restart and work normally. Last night, however, I had to give up and switch pans because the range shut down repeatedly.

I have 2 other Atlantis frying pans of different diameters and nothing strange happens when I use those.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this bizarre malfunction?

I have only a single induction hob (which I bought for use when I’m on the generator during power outages), so I’m no expert, but I have never run into this.

If I had to guess what the issue is I’d say there is something about this particular pan and its layers once it gets to 350 degrees. That it is providing some form of inductive load that is triggering your stove’s protection circuitry.

I would contact the pan manufacturer and discuss it with them.

I'd contact the manufactures of both the pan AND the range.

Do a www search for something like "induction cooktop, pan turns off"...you'll see a lot of hits.

I have a Thermador Freedom in the house and a Wolfe in the RV and another portable, forget the brand, I've never had this issue. I've heard folks complain that some pans cause noise, never heard of your issue. You might check with an electrician or whoever installed the range?

Back
Top Bottom