Dehydrating pastrami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadie33

Assistant Cook
My husband and I had some jerky the other day that tasted just like pastrami. It was so good! Now I want to dehydrate some pastrami, but wasn't sure how to do it. I looked it up on line and people agree it is good, but no one tells me how to do it. What temp how long, so I have to do something to it first?

Anyone here ever done?

We bought the pre sliced red pastrami. I've been doing some reading on dehydrating deli meat and it seems the lower the fat the better. I think we will cut off what bits of fat we can and to the rest. I guess we'll see what we get. I only have about 1/2 lb. I might throw some other stuff on the shelves like bologna and spam. Some people say they have done both, though they don't say how. I'm sure some will be done before others. I'll keep checking.

We bought the pre sliced red pastrami. I've been doing some reading on dehydrating deli meat and it seems the lower the fat the better. I think we will cut off what bits of fat we can and to the rest. I guess we'll see what we get. I only have about 1/2 lb. I might throw some other stuff on the shelves like bologna and spam. Some people say they have done both, though they don't say how. I'm sure some will be done before others. I'll keep checking.
Whats red pastrami?
Yes, the least fat the better. So you will need to trim your pastrami before drying it. Never heard of drying bologna or Spam?
The pastrami idea sounds great!

There is balck pastrami and red pastrami. Black pastrami is more lean and has to be sliced at the deli. Red pastrami usually comes pre sliced in a 10 lb bag at the deli. then you buy it by the pound. It is really fatty and tastes way better then black pastrami. Kind of looks like bacon, but different.

OH MY GOODNESS!! this stuff is amazing! I couldn't stop eating it. the bologna is good too. I had to pat it dry because of the grease, but it tasted good too. the bologna isn't quite finished.DSC_0410.JPGDSC_0413.JPGDSC_0418.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom