Dehydrate chorizo on a radiator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hueberttix

Cook
I put some sliced some cured Spanish sausage in a metal bowl, coating it with Paprika pepper (to draw out the oils) and left it a top of a radiator in order to encourage the oils out of it to dry age it quickly.

Every couple of hours, over an eight hour period, I wipe away the secreted oils, until there is little remaining.

The radiator heats the sliced sausage to an average of 28°C.

After that I leave them in the fridge.

I would like to know if it is safe to do this, food hygiene wise ?

Chorizo : https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-spicy-chorizo-ring-225g

The following day I had them, as usual, was without issue, but what do you think ?

The difference being that this is a supermarket grade cured meat, which still contains a lot of fats, water and oils, that can be dehydrated out to intensify its flavour.

Thus, a £2.50 tasting sausage can be turned into a £5 one.

The difference being that this is a supermarket grade cured meat, which still contains a lot of fats, water and oils, that can be dehydrated out to intensify its flavour.

Thus, a £2.50 tasting sausage can be turned into a £5 one.

if you look on the Sainsbury´s website:
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-spicy-chorizo-ring-225g
You will see tha this chorizo is produced by a family in Navarra, Spain, and they´ve been producing charcuterie for over 90 years. ALL Spanish sausages contain lots of fat, because that´s what helps the flavour. Additionally, you will not be able to "dehydrate" the oil/fat, because that´s not how oil/fat reacts.
In other words, I sincerely believe you´re wasting your time if you want a "drier" sausage - but hey, it´s up to you.

This was one of the first Chorizo's that appeared pre-packed in Sainsbury's. The quality varies, but is consistently better than from other supermarkets at this price point. However, with the influx from Mediterranean countries their selection suddenly shot up last Christmas period, with the prices to match.

I tried them all, and I can tell you that this one most certainly can be improved by allowing its water and fat (which is made up of water) content to seep out.

I am not looking to prove that, I know it works, I am looking for hygiene guidelines on the issue.

All the best.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom