Defrosting a freezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phaedra

Sous Chef
Both my fridge/freezer and my large upright freezer have air-flow cooling systems so do not need to be defrosted, but when I changed to raw-feeding my previous dog and needed another freezer, the only one I could find in the size I wanted [four-drawer 140litre capacity "under-the-counter" size] was a regular freezer, which needs defrosting occasionally.

Having realised that I have a number of frozen items due in my grocery delivery on Monday, I thought I'd better defrost the small one as I'd have to re-arrange what goes in which freezer, and as both she, and my current little one, eat the same meat and vegetables that I do [the dog has raw but I cook mine!] it really doesn't matter what goes in which freezer, I managed to find enough space in the other two freezers for what was currently in the small one.

Luckily it defrosts quite quickly, and a bundle of old towels at the bottom stop the place from flooding, although I do wish I could get an air-flow, frost-free freezer that size - or even a bit bigger, to replace it, but at 13 years old it is still working fine, so why spend the money on a new one?

I guess but in the USA the new appliances are more energy efficient. They cost less to run so I suppose eventually they will pay for themselves.

I hear you Phaedra, I had an ancient but large capacity up-right freezer that constantly got a twist in the door, letting in warm air and creating 3 shelves of ice caves. Had I been consistent with checking the door and defrosting, it wouldn't have gotten bad but consistency is not my strong point. It was a regular PIA.

To replace with an efficient, new, same capacity, was in the 4 figures + $. ergo I chose to ignore insinuations of higher energy bills, and absorb the extra cents per month.

Despite everything, I loved it, bought it for 50$ used. An Amana, was about 20 years old when I got it and I had it for 30 years. Gave it to a friend when I moved - it survived a 2 moves with her just recently and is still working fine.

BTW, I never worried to find space when I defrosted. I had large plastic bins I put stuff in and large chunks that were broken off where placed on top. I stood there with a hair dryer and a stiff rubber/plastic spatula, prying away. Yep, had towels all over the place. Also forever conscious of an electric hair dryer and water not good combinations. Another concern was the cooling element under each shelf that (although coated) could easily be damaged.
Gads - the things we do, eh?

I guess but in the USA the new appliances are more energy efficient. They cost less to run so I suppose eventually they will pay for themselves.
I'm 81 so a more energy efficient freezer paying for itself "eventually" isn't something I need to take into consideration. I know that my fridge/freezer and big upright are both marked as being at the top range of energy saving but I'm not sure about this freezer. I don't think it costs much to run though even if it isn't, as it isn't opened all the time as the others are.

I recently mentioned defrosting an upright freezer in my home. I specifically did not buy a frost-free freezer as it is not the best choice for maintaining food quality for long-term storage.

To defrost, after emptying the contents, I put pots of boiling water on the shelves to defrost quickly then wipe the interior dry and refill it. The freezer has a floor drain so much of the melting ice goes down the drain into a floor drain in the basement.

BTW, I never worried to find space when I defrosted. I had large plastic bins I put stuff in and large chunks that were broken off where placed on top. I stood there with a hair dryer and a stiff rubber/plastic spatula, prying away. Yep, had towels all over the place. Also forever conscious of an electric hair dryer and water not good combinations. Another concern was the cooling element under each shelf that (although coated) could easily be damaged.
Gads - the things we do, eh?
I don't have anywhere to put large plastic bins though! Hair dryer - don't have one either! What I used to do before frost-free, was unplug the appliance, put bowls of hot water on each shelf, and shut the door.

This was actually a very inexpensive freezer - I'd asked someone who does all necessary work inside and outside the bungalow [I've known him since I moved in here, 23 years ago - he's a sort of relative of my scooter/wheelchair guy who I'd know before then] - to have a look for one. He saw this in a little electrical shop near the Moshav where he lives, phoned me to tell me the cost - I paid by card over the phone, and he stuck it in his van and brought it here, saving me a delivery charge as well! I think it cost ~US$175 so it most definitely doesn't owe me anything.

Wow, good find Phaedra!

My ex-neighbour used to find things in the paper like magic. She had talent for it - without wasting time over it either.

To avoid defrosting your small freezer, consider regular maintenance, labeling and organizing frozen items, using temporary storage, or investing in a new frost-free freezer. Regular maintenance speeds up the process and prevents ice buildup. Labeling and grouping frozen foods can make it easier to locate essential things throughout the defrosting process. If the process becomes recurring, investing in a new frost-free freezer may save time and effort. Its ultimately your choice as to whether to buy new one or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
To avoid defrosting your small freezer, consider regular maintenance, labeling and organizing frozen items, using temporary storage, or investing in a new frost-free freezer. Regular maintenance speeds up the process and prevents ice buildup. Labeling and grouping frozen foods can make it easier to locate essential things throughout the defrosting process. If the process becomes recurring, investing in a new frost-free freezer may save time and effort. Its ultimately your choice as to whether to buy new one or not.
What kind of "regular maintenance" do you mean that will prevent ice build up?

What kind of "regular maintenance" do you mean that will prevent ice build up?

Back
Top Bottom