Deep fried chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, Charlie D.,

I think that Craig D. suggested about using a brine first, had a great idea!!!.......buttermilk is acidic and therefore tenderizes....there i can vouch that I have never had a chicken or turkey that I've had that's been brined that wasn't amazing......my German grandmother would soak her chicken in salt water before we left for church (at least an hour and a half before Grandpa could poke her to get moving..:) and then roll it in flour and seasonings when we got home and fried it....brine it and then roll it in seasoned flour......you have nothing to lose if you start with a young model of a hen.........but it really was the best.......and I know for a fact that she did not use milk.......

Hi, Charlie D.,

I think that Craig D. suggested about using a brine first, had a great idea!!!.......buttermilk is acidic and therefore tenderizes....there i can vouch that I have never had a chicken or turkey that I've had that's been brined that wasn't amazing......my German grandmother would soak her chicken in salt water before we left for church (at least an hour and a half before Grandpa could poke her to get moving..:) and then roll it in flour and seasonings when we got home and fried it....brine it and then roll it in seasoned flour......you have nothing to lose if you start with a young model of a hen.........but it really was the best.......and I know for a fact that she did not use milk.......

As I noted above, modern chicken is already tender - there is no more need for tenderizing agents.

it's not so much for tenderizing these days and I agree with you, GG, but it just adds so much flavor in my opinion..........

Oh. I guess I was confused since you said it's good for tenderizing ;) It seems to me that tenderizing tender meat might make it mushy.

I can't say I noticed a difference in flavor when I did try it, although that was many years ago. Doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

Last edited:
well it is worth the effort for me and the flavor is amazing depending on what you use (apple juice is wonderful for flavor).........it's the juiciness factor that's worth it.......most turkey meats and chicken breasts tend to be dry for the most part......brining imparts juiciness........probably has something to do with the sodium ionization/balance factor.......

well it is worth the effort for me and the flavor is amazing depending on what you use (apple juice is wonderful for flavor).........it's the juiciness factor that's worth it.......most turkey meats and chicken breasts tend to be dry for the most part......brining imparts juiciness........probably has something to do with the sodium ionization/balance factor.......

I was talking about soaking in buttermilk.

The one advantage of kosher chicken in this case, it already has been briend. Meat after animal was slaughtered goes into salt and then water. It is done draw the blood out.

I'm a newb at frying chicken in a skillet. I'm just barely OK at it. I discovered you don't need a lot of oil in the pan. I've still got the recently released KFC secret recipe. The one that got leaked by some relative of the Colonel's. I'm about to try that soon. Also, some site mentioned putting a bit of baking soda in the dry mix. It's supposed to make the chicken batter mix fry up more frothy after you dip the chicken in an egg solution and go to fry. A small amount of baking soda added to the dry mix.

Oh ya...supposedly, white pepper is a key secret ingredient, so I bought some. :LOL:

Last edited:

Over cooked chicken or turkey is dry. Properly prepared and not over cooked poultry is very tender. Same with pork chops and steaks. Its easy to ruin these cuts by over cooking them.

I'm a newb at frying chicken in a skillet. I'm just barely OK at it. I discovered you don't need a lot of oil in the pan. I've still got the recently released KFC secret recipe. The one that got leaked by some relative of the Colonel's. I'm about to try that soon. Also, some site mentioned putting a bit of baking soda in the dry mix. It's supposed to make the chicken batter mix fry up more frothy after you dip the chicken in an egg solution and go to fry. A small amount of baking soda added to the dry mix.

Oh ya...supposedly, white pepper is a key secret ingredient, so I bought some. :LOL:

We use salt and pepper aggressively and dredge in flour. Its great and I like it better than take out.
We also leave the skin on and make sure its good and crispy.

I am with you on the amount of oil. You do not need to deep fry. I use about an inch of oil and turn once.

You can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand for 5 minutes. You can also use 1 cup of plain yogurt or 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk. Hope this helps! :chef: :chef:

Did you not notice where Charlie keeps Kosher? He was asking for a substitue for buttermilk that was NOT dairy.

Back
Top Bottom