Deep fried chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
As many of you know/remember I keep kosher. No chicken and dairy thus can be mixed in cooking. The good old recipe for deep fried chicken, or at least the all the recipes I have sen, call for soaking chicken in buttermilk. This is my Substitution question. What can I use instead of buttermilk?

As many of you know/remember I keep kosher. No chicken and dairy thus can be mixed in cooking. The good old recipe for deep fried chicken, or at least the all the recipes I have sen, call for soaking chicken in buttermilk. This is my Substitution question. What can I use instead of buttermilk?

I would suggest a brine of some kind.

Yes, but what brine would imitate the buttermilk?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Charlie, you should be able to sub a non-dairy plain yogurt (such as soy) for the buttermilk, just thin it with a little water. I think most supermarkets carry at least one brand or another.

interesting, I guess I never seen it, the soy stuff that is. Thank you. I will look for it.

Are eggs considered dairy? Or are chicken and eggs together not allowed? If not, mayonnaise might make a good substitute.

Dairy is a product of the mammary gland of mammals. Basically, it refers to milk and anything made from milk, like cheese, butter and yogurt. And eggs are not made from milk.

I'm not familiar with the rules for a Kosher diet, so, maybe eggs aren't allowed either.

Last edited:
Eggs aren't dairy - I don't know either if they could be combined with poultry while still keeping kosher.

Last edited:
I recall a Jewish friend who kept kosher, many years ago, telling me the mother can't be eaten with the child, so no beef with milk, no chicken with eggs. Not sure, but I'm not up on Kosher diet.

Last edited:
According to what I have read, eggs are considered Parve, so thety can be eaten with meat or dairy.

Last edited:
Soaking in buttermilk is not necessary for making good fried chicken. Soaking in an acidic liquid was done in the past to tenderize old, tough chickens; modern chicken is already tender.

Here is the recipe my mom gave me - born and raised in Virginia :) It isn't deep fried, but in my opinion, it's just as good and is much easier.

1 whole chicken, cut up
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups vegetable oil

Combine flour and seasonings in a paper or plastic bag. Shake chicken pieces in seasoned flour mixture a few at a time. Shake off excess. Set extra flour aside.

Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Put chicken in oil skin side down and cook for 15-20 minutes till well browned. Turn pieces over and cook another 15-20 minutes till cooked through.

Remove chicken to a plate lined with paper towels and tent loosely with foil. Pour off all but two tablespoons of oil. Over medium heat, whisk two tablespoons of reserved seasoned flour into oil. Cook and stir until lightly browned, about two minutes. Slowly whisk two cups of water or chicken stock into flour mixture (for non-kosher cooks, use milk). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook a few minutes till thickened. Serve with chicken over mashed potatoes or rice.

Last edited:
I recall a Jewish friend who kept kosher, many years ago, telling me the mother can't be eaten with the child, so no beef with milk, no chicken with eggs. Not sure, but I'm not up on Kosher diet.

I was told the same thing.

Last edited:
I never soak my chicken in anything. I just dredge in highly seasoned flour and fry.

I was told (by several people who kept Kosher) over the years that "A baby should never be cooked In it's mothers milk".

I'm not positive if that is true, but it's what I was told.

Last edited:
More can be learned here..
What is Kosher Food, Kosher Rules, Products, Definition, What Does Kosher Mean

The Torah says: "You may not cook a young animal in the milk of its mother" (Ex.23:19). From this, it is derived that milk and meat products may not be mixed together. Not only may they not be cooked together, but they may not be served together on the same table and surely not eaten at the same time. This rule is scrupulously upheld in observant Jewish households, even in the handling of utensils, which are carefully separated into “fleishig” (meat) and “milchig” (dairy) and separately labeled. By strict observance of these laws, they become an everyday habit. After meat meals, one must wait one, three, or six hours – depending on one’s custom - before eating dairy. After dairy consumption, no interval is required before meat may be eaten.

Last edited:
Dairy is a product of the mammary gland of mammals. Basically, it refers to milk and anything made from milk, like cheese, butter and yogurt. And eggs are not made from milk.

I'm not familiar with the rules for a Kosher diet, so, maybe eggs aren't allowed either.

No, you got it. Actually eggs are considered neither and are allowed with both meat and milk. Interestingly mother's milk is not considered dairy and allowed to be mixed with meat. Not that babies are eating meat, but nevertheless.

Back
Top Bottom