DC's All American Flapjack Flip-Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Okay, for all you folks out there who think you make the best pancakes.

Here is where to post your recipes.

Rules for those judging:

1. You must prepare all entry recipes.
2. Feed them to family and friends.
3. Notice and write down which are beloved the most by everyone.
4. I will set up the poll on the weekend of 7/5-7/13, with polls closing 7/8/13.
5. Overdoses of maple syrup and butter are taken at your own risk. We are also not responsible for your weigh-in problems.
6. Recipes should not rely on special cooking or mixing equipment, bowl, fork or whisk, a frying pan or griddle and a pancake turner are all you should need.

On your Mark...get set...GRIDDLE!

Last edited:
CharlieD's Yogurt Pancakes

My yogurt pancakes are as simple as it gets.

Ingredients:
1 – 8 oz. yogurt
1 cup all-purpose flour*
1 – Small egg (if you only have large it is not a problem)
1 pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon of baking soda mixed with about half a tablespoon of vinegar**
Oil for frying.
Sour cream and Syrup, or even jelly, for serving***

Note:

* If yogurt is only 7 oz., as a lot of them are nowadays, you only need 7 oz. of flour.
** You can use baking powder, but I do not know how much you would need to substitute.
*** These pancakes are neither sweet nor savory, but conveniently can be served either way. My kids like it sweet, I on the other hand like it savory. I eat mine with the sour cream and lox or caviar, or even herring. If I do eat it sweet, I do not like my pancakes with maple syrup, but my daughter does. I use fruit syrup like Smucker’s brand, found in the baking section.

Directions:

Put flour in a bowl. Add all wet ingredients mix well, until no lumps. Preheat frying pan. Pour some oil in the pan. Use small ladle to pour batter into pan. My pancakes are somewhat oblong and are about 2-3 by 3-4 inches. Fry on one side until the top looks like it’s starting to bubble up a little bit. Flip them over and fry the second side.
Serve hot with above mentioned sides.

Last, but not least; I always make extra (usually triple the recipe). We warm them up in the microwave for kids before school. You will find out that they are as good even a week later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve's Buttermilk and Beer Pancakes

The basic recipe is a variation of the recipe my father-in-law serves at their annual Knights of Columbus pancake breakfast. Beer is the secret ingredient. While that might seem a little strange, it really isn't, since both flour and beer are made from grain. The beer gives the cakes a lightness in addition to a hint of malt flavor.

Don't use any fancy pants artisan brew. MGD or Bud works as well as anything. And don't worry about serving it to the kiddies, as there is very little alcohol remaining after they are cooked.

And if you're just not inclined to have brew for breakfast, simply substitute an equal amount of milk.

In addition to my own family, I've invited eight neighbors over to have breakfast on July 4th. They will be the judges and I will abstain from voting. The tasting will be blind. Everyone will mark their entries on a sheet of paper and put their vote into a box.

Enjoy, and Good Luck to all the entrants!

Steve's Buttermilk and Beer Pancakes

Ingredients:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (use a full teaspoon if using kosher or flake salt)
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup beer, preferably a lager (can substitute 1/2 cup milk)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Preparation:

1. Combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
  2. In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar. Whisk in the eggs and mix until well combined. Add buttermilk, beer (or milk), and vanilla extract. Mix well.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl containing the dry ingredients. Mix ONLY until the wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
  4. Allow the batter to rest for 15-30 minutes.
  5. While the batter is resting, pre-heat a griddle or large frying pan to medium-high. If the heat source has a temperature control, aim for about 375°F. If it doesn't, you can use the following test to determine if it's the proper temperature. Sprinkle a few drops of water on the surface. If the drops dance and sizzle on the surface for a few seconds before disappearing, it's perfect. If they immediately evaporate in a cloud of steam, it's too hot. And if they pool and steam, it's too cold.
  6. Lightly grease the cooking surface. You can use butter, bacon fat, or vegetable oil. Use a paper towel to spread the oil across the surface and blot up any excess. It should take no more than about a half teaspoon of whatever lubricant you decide on.
  7. Using a measuring cup or ladle, pour the batter onto the pan or griddle, leaving about 2 inches between cakes. Note that a half cup measuring cup will give you a yield of 8 7-inch cakes, while a one-third cup measure will result in a yield of 14 5-inch cakes.
  8. Let the pancakes cook on the first side just until they start to look dry around the edges, maybe 3 minutes. You can lift up an edge and peek if you like. Using a large spatula, and with one quick motion, carefully flip them over. If a little batter splatters out from around the edges, that's ok. Just take the edge of your spatula and push it back in. Splatters add character.
  9. Let the pancake cook on the second side for about another 2 minutes. The bottom side will almost always come out lighter than the top. You can feel when they are done because they will spring back when you push down on the surface lightly with your finger.
  10. Pancakes can be kept warm on a plate in a 150-200 degree oven. Put a tea towel over the top to retain the moisture.
  11. Serve with your favorite toppings. REAL maple syrup is good, as are fruit preserves, or just a little butter and sugar.

img_1277538_0_7cacf7df6335f7a6c2702e5d15a23696.jpg

Last edited:
Whiska's Buttermilk Pancakes

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
fine zest of one lemon ( optional but highly recommended)
3 tablespoons (unsalted) butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
2 cups buttermilk
butter or oil for cooking

1. If using powdered buttermilk, make per cannister directions and set aside.
  2. If you do not have buttermilk on hand, whisk 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice with 2 cups milk in a medium bowl and set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
  3. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a seperate bowl, whisk together the egg, lemon zest, melted butter, and then mix in the buttermilk.
  4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour the buttermilk mixture into the well and whisk very gently until the buttermilk mixture is just incorporated (a few lumps may remain). Do not overmix.
  5. Heat a large (12-inch) cast iron or nonstick skillet or flat griddle over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Melt a a good size pat of butter in skillet or brush with 1- 2 tablespoons of oil.
  6. Using 1/4 cup of batter per pancake, add the batter to the skillet (only 2 to 3 pancakes may fit in the pan at a time) and cook until large bubbles begin to appear, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown on the second side, about 1 1/2 minutes longer. Hold cooked pancakes on a platter in a warm oven. Repeat with the remaining batter, using a new pat of butter or brushing the skillet with oil as needed between batches.
  7. Serve with a pat of butter on top and favorite syrup.

Alix's German Pancakes

Can I post a twist? These are "german pancakes" or "dutch babies". Still a pancake, but made a bit differently. They are our favorites.

1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups milk
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour

In your blender, pour oil, milk and add the eggs one at a time. Set to a lower speed and put in the flour sloooooowly. When it is smooth pour into greased ramekins. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes in a 350 oven. Be sure not to fill dishes too full. 1/3 or 1/2 is PLENTY in each dish.

They puff up beautifully and ideally should have a well in the middle when done. Fill with berries and drizzle with maple syrup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chief Longwind's World Famous Pancakes

Chief Lognwind's Pancake Recipe - I will be adding wild blueberries.
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients: Dry Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup all-purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tbs. Sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ tsp. Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 tsp. Double Acting Baking Powder (You must use Double Acting Baking Powder to get the best texture)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wet Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3/4 plus 1/8 cup milk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 large Egg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 tbs. Cooking oil[/FONT]

Optional Ingredients:
3/4 cup wild blueberries

[FONT=&quot] Preheat the griddle.

Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingredients and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will over-mix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will disappear while cooking the pancakes.[/FONT] Fold in the blueberries.
[FONT=&quot]
Spoon three tablespoons of batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. You can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingredients by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingredients by two.[/FONT]

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Now we are open for votes or you can PM them to me and/or Dawgluver. Votes will be over at 6:00 PM MST on 7/8/2013 with them being tallied and listed by 10 PM MST...

This is -6 hours from 00:00 GMT on 7/9/13.

And...We Have a Tie!!!

Counting votes we ended up with a tie.

Our First Place Winners are Steve Kroll and Chief Longwind Of the North OR Chief Longwind of the North and Steve Kroll who both had the same number of votes.

Second Place is given to Whiskadoodle or Doodleawhisk.

Thank you for participating. Stay tuned for our next non-scientific and fun contest.

Congratulations Guys!!!!

And if you need help with math, please feel free to ask PF and me, as we are experts. Just not at math.

Congrats guys!

Last edited:
Thank you and congrats, Chief and Whiska!

Like I said in an earlier post, there were no bad entries. Every single recipe got at least one vote at our house. And my wife and daughter even voted for recipes other than mine (I've also been told that we need to make Alix's recipe again sometime).

I did make WAY too many pancakes, though. I've had them for breakfast every single morning since the 4th, and still have a half dozen or so left in the freezer. :pig:

And special thanks to PF and Dawg for volunteering to be the vote tallyers!

Last edited:
Who dribbled syrup on your shirt this time !?! Not me for once :LOL:

Thanks PF and DawgL for managing the flap-jack contest and encouraging and ensuring its success. Congratulations Chief and Steve for blue ribbons !! And a feather in everyone’s cap for submitting your favorite recipe and taking part.

For the record, I bought only the best ingredients. A 12 pak of Grain Belt Premium ( a local brew (now bottled by another brewery) recently voted as America’s best o f 100 cheap brewskis, greek yogurt and organic milk hand massaged from contented cows. Just you wait guys, next time, I’m subbing in Meyer Lemons or perhaps Orange juice from either Floriday or Californiay. :angel: Any subtleties I missed in your recipes should not be surpassed. Actually, don’t screw up a good thing when you know it’s good. Don’t overthink and don’t over stir. I’m still learning the last part. Small confession, I added a little baking powder/soda into the batters in the morning . I made the dough the night and this coaxed it to re-activate when I stirred up the batter.

Overall, I think a good pancake has a certain lightness of being. Something that is at once substantial, sticks to your ribs and after you eat a plateful, you say, please, may I have another. With that, I too have freezer bags full of pancakes, enough to keep us happy for a month of weekends.

Congratulaions again, to our winners and participants commenters and cheerleaders. :chef:

Last edited:
.... Overall, I think a good pancake has a certain lightness of being. ... :chef:

Right there my pancakes would never get your vote. :) My pancakes are dense and heavy, with substance, just like most Russian cakes and breads versus Americans. Which are too light and too airy for my taste?
:(I am sorry I did not have chance to participate. Though I have made Chief's pancakes before, as I already mentioned, and my wife liked it a lot, because those were your typical American pancakes. My kids prefer mine, as it is what they used to.

P.S. Did anybody make my pancakes, just out of curiosity?

I did. I liked them, and one of my neighbors rated them on top. You're right, though. They have a much denser texture than what a lot of Americans raised on iHop or Perkins would typically be accustomed to.

Do you ever make them using other types of flour?

Right there my pancakes would never get your vote. :) My pancakes are dense and heavy, with substance, just like most Russian cakes and breads versus Americans. Which are too light and too airy for my taste?
:(I am sorry I did not have chance to participate. Though I have made Chief's pancakes before, as I already mentioned, and my wife liked it a lot, because those were your typical American pancakes. My kids prefer mine, as it is what they used to.

I made your recipe, and it scored pretty good. People definitely liked them. I had five judges, and five caterogies that the pancakes were judged by, Every pancake had at least one category that it did better than all of the others. For instance, Bucky came out best in the "feels like a brick" category.:LOL:

That was just mean, especially after all of the support he's given my pancake recipe, over the years. I've never had the pleasure of eating at Bucky's house. But I absolutely know the man knows his way around the kitchen, and would love to eat in his house.

Charlie, I think we would have a great time in each other's back yard, grills-a-blazin'.

Alix, my judges were blown away by the Dutch Babies. They loved the dramatic look, and versatility of them.

Whiska, what can I say? The vanilla both set you apart, in a great flavor way, but hurt you in the versatility category.

In any case, there wasn't a bad recipe in the bunch.

So, when do I get my prize check for $40,000 dollars?

What, there's no prize check!:ohmy: I though Pri-Fi, and Dawg both worked for FoodNetwork. Ah well, to be in such great company is more than enough reward.

Ok, so, now that Steve and I are tied for first place, he can run beside me for the presidency, and vice presidency. Don't you think Steve would make a great vice president of our nation?

Oh, Steve, just remember that it's the vice-presidential candidate's job to purchase meals when we're on the road, and pay for gas, and supply the vehicle, you know, little things like that.:LOL::LOL: We'll be like the Lone Ranger and Tonto. I'm the Lone Ranger, of course.:cool:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I don't put vanilla in my pancakes, although I think that would be good. I ususally put a kiss of lemon in, enough to brigthen them without over doing the flavor. If there is no lemons in the house, it's just plain buttermilk pancakes. Which we like. And if there's no buttermilk, we make what I describe as your sweet milk pancakes. Which we like those too.

Charlie, at the time when I invited people over ( all two of them showed) I had to describe in general what was unique/ or what set the different recipes apart. So when I said yogurt pancakes, I had one person looking specifically for them that morning.

Chief, I don't put vanilla in my pancakes, although I think that would be good. I ususally put a kiss of lemon in, enough to brigthen them without over doing the flavor. If there is no lemons in the house, it's just plain buttermilk pancakes. Which we like. And if there's no buttermilk, we make what I describe as your sweet milk pancakes. Which we like those too.

Charlie, at the time when I invited people over ( all two of them showed) I had to describe in general what was unique/ or what set the different recipes apart. So when I said yogurt pancakes, I had one person looking specifically for them that morning.

Sorry, got your lemon flavored pancake recipe mixed up as I don't have the recipes right in front of me. I didn't do that in the competition though, as I cooked each recipe, one by one, and labeled them as I put them on the plate. And as I said, every batch was great.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, LOL, very funny, thumbs up, if you do not make as a chef, you should try stand up comedy.

I am still hoping to try some recipes one of this days, if not for the contest at least for my self. Maybe I'll wait for kids to come home, they will be the judges.

P.S. is there way to put results up for everybody to see?

Back
Top Bottom