Dairy free cake? Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I need to make either plain white or lemon cake, you know frosting and all. The problem is , it cannot have anything dairy.
Please help.

Not in Minnesota I cant. As the matter of fact where cake mix maybe, maybe randomly available, unfortunately nowadays everything is randomly available, frosting I searched internet up and down and I cannot find.

@CharlieD I was just reading that Duncan Hines brand Yellow Cake Mix is indeed dairy free.
As are some of their canned frostings.

-edit- both of these products are available through Amazon (but then nowadays, what isn't, right?)

@CharlieD I was just reading that Duncan Hines brand Yellow Cake Mix is indeed dairy free.

-edit- both of these products are available through Amazon (but then nowadays, what isn't, right?)
Unfortunately it is too late for Amazon, Unless I want to pay crazy amount of money. I need this for Friday. Our local grocery store did not have these two. I went this morning in hope to find something. Will have to go Walmart after work. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't count as dairy free for Charlie.

can you make cakes without dairy like those simple cakes called in hebrew עוגה בחושה?.
sometimes you need butter but usually you can use oil like canola..

check out this link
Raffaello cake {bing helped me translate}

Ingredients (for an English cake pan):
2 L eggs
100 g (1/2 cup) white sugar
160 ml (2/3 cup) coconut cream
50 g (1/4 cup) oil
140 g (1 cup) flour
50 g (1/2 cup) white coconut
5 g (1 tsp) baking powder
1/2 cup hazelnuts, roasted

For the coating above:
100g white chocolate
1/4 cup coconut cream
5 tablespoons white coconut or roasted caramelized coconut (bought in spice stores)

Last edited:
If you want to make either a plain white or lemon cake without any dairy, start with the base ingredients. You'll need all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar of your choice (white or raw), salt and vegetable oil. Add in some vegan butter substitute such as Earth Balance to enhance the flavour of your cakes without using any real butter - just check that it is also dairy free before buying it! For extra lemony zest in your lemon cakes, opt for freshly squeezed lemons instead of store bought lemon juice concentrate which often has preservatives or other added compounds.

To make both plain white and lemon cakes completely dairy free in terms of frosting too, use either soy milk whipped cream or coconut milk based icing along with some plant-based powdered sugar if desired for sweetness. If you don't have access to these ingredients however, don't worry - regular powdered sugar does not contain any sort of animal product so it will still be suitable for those avoiding all forms of dairy products from their diets! Just mix together 1 cup of shortening/butter substitute with 2-3 cups of powdered sugar until creamy and smooth then add a few drops if food colouring for colour variation if you like - voila! All done!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom