Cutting Board Cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foodie14

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I am a part of a group project as part of my university (TUM) and we had an idea to develop a product which neutralizes odors in cutting boards and disinfects it. Do you think such solution has market potential? Or would you yourself get one?

Thank you very much!:chef:

Welcome to DC!

I usually scrub it with the cut side of a lemon with salt or baking soda, when needed. Then I use mineral oil to keep it conditioned.

If it needs disinfected, then soak a clothe in white vinegar and cover the board with the cloth for a few minutes.

Last edited:
I only use plastic cutting boards. They go in the dishwasher after each use. I bleach stains from time to time.

... I am a part of a group project as part of my university (TUM) and we had an idea to develop a product which neutralizes odors in cutting boards and disinfects it.
  1. Do you think such solution has market potential?
  2. Or would you yourself get one?

1. Probably. "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." HL Mencken.
  2. No. "... but you cannot fool all the people all the time." Abraham Lincoln.

Like most of the participants in this forum, I have some experience on the subject and have lived long enough to acquire at least limited immunity to marketing manipulation.

OMG... skillet! well said...

foodie14 - Welcome to DC.
Your question will undoubtedly get many opinions. Aside from agreeing with skillet, I recommend your group search for a project that would really benefit the cooking world. Perhaps something to speed their work up, simplify a chore or such along that line.

I make my own cutting board cleaner from common household materials. Sorry, but I will not disclose the secret formula for anyone else's financial benefit ;)

Just a thought, search youtube for how to clean my cutting board. Watch ALL the videos then decide if this is a good topic for your group project.

I keep a plastic cutting board over my butcher block cutting board.
I built my own butcher block board and do not want to mess it up........lol.
A cutting board that never gets cut on.......lol

I'm another that uses plastic boards almost exclusively. Since I constantly cut up onions, garlic, and hot peppers, I don't want to try to get that stuff out of wooden chopping boards - the DW is the way to go!

I'm another that uses plastic boards almost exclusively. Since I constantly cut up onions, garlic, and hot peppers, I don't want to try to get that stuff out of wooden chopping boards - the DW is the way to go!
I cut up those things on my wooden board and my secret cleaning solution makes it fresh and smelling wonderful! [emoji16]

Interesting

I would like to try to see if shows any effect while preparing the dish and not mixing the smells of the previously cut vegetables.

I would like to try to see if shows any effect while preparing the dish and not mixing the smells of the previously cut vegetables.

Wow... you better find someone with a pretty good sniffer! :LOL:

Onions and garlic family are probably the only thing that would transfer scent to the next vegie being cut. And as probably the case, the smells and tastes are going to mingle in the finished product so why bother?

Onions and garlic leave oils in the board, garlic moreso if you smeesh it. Since it is going into what it is going into who cares ?

My decision to use a different (plastic) board is usually based on meat. Once raw meat hits it nothing else can hit it except that which will also be cooked.

The wood one, when I do it I give it a good drowning in hot hot water, then squirt a diluted bleach mixture and wipe it off, then it dries. The plastic ones go in the dirty dishes.

T

Just though of something. We bought a bunch of onions, I mean lots of them. Imperfect, I had to go through them. The good parts were sliced and frozen. We used them for a while actually.

Anyway so a cantelope shows up and I cut it up on that oard, they tasted onion in it.

T

I know this is an old thread, but I came here looking for the best way to clean a wooden cutting board, especially after cutting chicken. ( I love chicken, but absolutely hate dealing with raw chicken! ) My husband does not like plastic boards, he feels that bits of plastic get in the food, however minute. I have been cleaning with soap and water, placing salt on it and then wiping vinegar on it and rinsing.

I use bamboo cutting boards and bamboo is somewhat self-disinfecting. When necessary I scrub it with Dawn dishwashing liquid. I would never use a plastic board. They harbor germs and dull your knives.

I use bamboo cutting boards and bamboo is somewhat self-disinfecting. When necessary I scrub it with Dawn dishwashing liquid. I would never use a plastic board. They harbor germs and dull your knives.
I had heard that bamboo boards are super hard. Not because of the bamboo itself, but because of the epoxy that binds it. Actually, I've heard that conventional wood boards have self-disinfecting properties.

I had heard that bamboo boards are super hard. Not because of the bamboo itself, but because of the epoxy that binds it. Actually, I've heard that conventional wood boards have self-disinfecting properties.
There was research done on the self-disinfecting properties of wood as a cutting board, at the University of California at Davis. I have yet to hear about any research done on that for bamboo.

I have definitely noticed the hardness of bamboo that is due to the epoxy. I don't use good knives on bamboo.

parker57, to answer your question I can only tell you how I do it. You've seen what the others have said. You just have to choose which one feels right to you.
I personally, I wash my boards with just good old HOT water, soap and elbow grease. I use both plastic (hard ones and soft) and wood, bamboo, maple and goodness knows what the others are made of. I have 4 wood of difference sizes, set of 4 bamboo ones that I also use as hot plates and many freebie gifts of plastic.
I prefer to cut meat, chicken, pork, beef on wood boards - don't really know why. Perhaps it is because the meat doesn't seem to slip around as easily.
I think your husband is right, I'd rather eat and digest bits of sawdust than plastic. Never cared for plastic even when the big scare was on to ban wooden boards as 'harbourers' of germs. Never believed it, always thought that the plastic was just as bad with their cuts hiding nasties too. Years later I was proven right, the world did a reverse and wood's reputation was suddenly restored and good to go.

I use plastic boards that go into the dishwasher after use. If there are persistent stains, I use bleach to remove them.

Back
Top Bottom