Crock-pot chicken and rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimmy1227

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone, does anyone know how to cook crock pot chicken and rice with using only frozen boneless chicken breasts (how many?), rice (how much?), and how much water to add? And that's all ingredients i want to use. Making for a toddler with allergies, so has to be bland..No sauces or soups added. How long to cook? Thanks for any feedback!!

Sorry about the dilemma with your toddler. I have a tried-and-true baked chicken recipe that might be adaptable to the crock-pot. You could, perhaps, tailor-make it to your needs. The recipe calls for leg/thigh portions but I see no reason you can't sub breasts.

In a nutshell, in a large casserole, pour 1/2 stick of melted butter or margarine, layer 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice, place what would amount to a whole cut-up chicken on top of the rice and butter, sprinkle a package of dry onion soup over, then pour 3 cups of water over all. Season with additional salt, if you find it necessary. Cover tightly with foil and bake in a preheated 300F oven for 2 hours.

In your case, you might want to eliminate the soup mix and sub some other mild seasoning, along with a bit of salt. The end result is tender, juicy chicken with nicely-cooked and flavored rice.

Here are some tips and a chart to help you convert this recipe or any others you might want to try in your crock-pot.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Kimmy. Welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

I saw your other post about making chicken broth. Here's another option for what you want to do: Make chicken broth per my instructions in the other thread. This will cook the chicken; then use the broth to make rice. I often make it in the microwave: To one cup of rice, add 1 tbsp butter or oil and a pinch of salt. Add two cups chicken broth. Cook on high 8 minutes; stir, then cook on high 7 minutes. That's it. It's important to stir it part way, or the rice won't cook evenly.

While the rice is cooking, shred the chicken with two forks. When the rice is done, mix the chicken in to it, or serve however your child likes it.

Last edited:
Kimmy,
Hi. Best of luck with your toddler. Now same question as before. How big is your crockpot? 3 quart, 5 quart, 6 quart, 7 quart.
Also is it your standard crockpot or is it a west bend slow cooker?
Crockpots heat from all sides. The slow cooker is from the bottom up.

Also, whichever method you use, thaw the chicken before cooking. It will cook more evenly and will be much less likely to harbor harmful bacteria.

Hello everyone, does anyone know how to cook crock pot chicken and rice with using only frozen boneless chicken breasts (how many?), rice (how much?), and how much water to add? And that's all ingredients i want to use. Making for a toddler with allergies, so has to be bland..No sauces or soups added. How long to cook? Thanks for any feedback!!

Does it absolutely have to be cooked in a crock pot?
How old is your toddler.What does he or she like to eat?

I'd defrost just a few pieces of chicken breasts in the fridge.
Buy a box of minute rice.Mixed veggies.Canned low sodium chicken broth.

Make it fun.Foil wrapped dinner.They can be prepped and made ahead.

Add a piece of chicken.Small amount of rice and veggies.Little bit of broth.
Wrap it up and cook it in the oven at 350 until the chicken is done.

Back
Top Bottom