Creamy fish sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. I am used to uk fish and chips with batter etc. I have some nice smoked haddock (no batter or breadcrumbs) would like to have just chips and peas. What would dearly love is a nice creamy sauce to pour over it. A bit like the famouse chicken tonight jars of sauce but for fish.

Any good recipies? Preferably in oz or grams as here in the UK we don't use cup measurements.

Thanks.

I would think any cream sauce would work. or even just a butter garlic lemon type. Melt your butter, add some garlic (don't burn it!), stir in some capers, a squeeze of lemon. Spoon over.

Iwould have thought a creamy sauce would use single or double cream. Not sure capers would work with that though!

I like tartar sauce with fish, like this: https://www.food.com/recipe/english-seaside-tangy-tartar-sauce-for-fish-and-chips-428549

Or
Ginger Remoulade:
250 ml (1 cup) mayonnaise or plain yogurt
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp. minced celery
2 tbsp. minced onion
2 tbsp. minced parsley
2 tbsp. ketchup
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour to allow flavors to blend. Leftovers can be used as a sandwich spread or to make shrimp salad.

I'm making a simple sauce/dressing that goes like :

- sour cream and mayo with a ratio of about 4:1 (tbsp.) feel free to add more
- lemon or lime juice, 1 tsp or so
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Italian herbs/seasoning to taste
- olive oil, 1 tbsp.

... simple and goes well with meat or fish :)

All good ideas.
I tend to make a quick, simple tarter sauce of mayo, onion pwd, sweet relish and lemon juice.

I need to expand my efforts. :)

Ross

What about the wonderful Greek, avgolemono sauce? It's made with broth, egg, and lemon. It is wonderful with seafood, among other things. I have only had it with Greek food from restos. One of these days I will try making it myself.

Use a fish Volute as the base for Sauce Ravigote. Its is a lightly acidic, herbal sauce that is great with fish. The ingredients are:

• 4 shallots, minced
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 2 cups Classic Velouté Sauce (made with Fumet de Poisson (fish stock) for seafood dishes)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chervil
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Bercy Sauce
Bercy Sauce was created to go with fish. Again, it starts with a fish Volute. Here are the ingredients:
1 pint (16 oz.) fish Volouté
2 oz. white wine
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon butter
Lemon juice, to taste (21 to 2 oz.)

Do a quick google search under Mother sauces, emulsified sauces for tarter sauces and Add a little mustard to these to emulsify them.
This - https://www.thespruceeats.com/beurre-blanc-sauce-recipe-995329 is an one example of the many emulsified sauces that will work well with fish.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom