Cornmeal Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
This recipe is adapted from cookbook author Mollie Katzen Sunlight Café c2002 which I found somewhere on the internet

This recipe makes about 10 4 inch pancakes.

1/3 cup fine, stone-ground cornmeal ( I use Quaker brand or bulk store, both are fairly fine grind)
2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup buttermilk (Powder buttermilk is fine + liquid)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Nonstick spray or cooking oil and/ or more butter

Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.

Measure the 1 cup buttermilk into a 2-cup measure. Add the eggs, and beat gently with a fork until thoroughly combined. I beat the eggs first and add the milk next. Beat in the vanilla extract.

Pour the buttermilk mixture, along with the melted butter, into the dry ingredients. Using a spoon or a rubber spatula, stir from the bottom of the bowl until the dry ingredients are all moistened. There may be a few lumps, but that is okay.

Place a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Spray it lightly with non-stick spray or add a little cooking oil t pan and add a little butter, if you like. Allow the oil to get medium hot.

Scoop the batter with a 1/4 cup measure and pour onto the hot pan. Cook the pancakes until the tops are bubbly and the bottoms are golden brown. Turn and finish cooking for 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately with a fruit syrup, maple syrup or the topping of your choice.

I made some cornmeal pancakes 2 day's ago. And i made some blackberry syrup, which sent it into the stratosphere of deliciousness. I also used regular pancake syrup because i have a hard time eating pancakes without the flavour of maple.

These look good. Gonna get the wife to make me some. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

We make some very similar but without the vanilla and with a little bit less sugar to go with beef stew. That's the way my mom and grandmom always did it. A childhood comfort meal.

Corn meal pancakes are called johnny cakes (they started out as journey cakes, but then the New England accent kicked that to the curb) or hoe cakes. That is spelled WITH an E!

Last edited:
Corn meal pancakes are called johnny cakes (they started out as journey cakes, but then the New England accent kicked that to the curb) or hoe cakes. That is spelled WITH an E!

Not all johnny cakes are pancakes. I've had them in Jamaica that were like small rolls, and in the Bahamas they are made like a cake in large pan. In neither case are they anything even similar to pancakes in shape, texture or flavor.

This sounds great. I just recently made cornbread waffles and in an interesting twist, made them into a lunch/dinner meal by topping them with beef chili and appropriate toppings (like shredded cheese, sour cream, scallion, etc.)

It was really delicious.

Back
Top Bottom