Corned Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sage™

Senior Cook
I want to cook a corned beef so it can be sliced deli thin to make corned beef sandwiches. I have only cooked corned beef once before, one from the store with the spice packet and it was cooked to where it fell apart. I wanna make some piled high corn beef on rye. I'm going to buy an electric slicer so I can do this. Does anybody know how the deli's cook them? lol..I don't want to corn the beef myself..will buy the ones from the store.

It may have been cooked too long if it fell apart. Also, the deli slices the corned beef after it's cold. That will make it easier to slice.

Thanks =o) It was so long ago that I cooked it, I'm not sure it fell apart..lol I just know I had hard time trying to slice it without it fallin apart.

Ya corn beef tends to fall apart when it is cooked. Andy had a good point try slicing it when it is cold.

Serve hot with cabbage, cold with kraut.!

I want to cook a corned beef so it can be sliced deli thin to make corned beef sandwiches. I have only cooked corned beef once before, one from the store with the spice packet and it was cooked to where it fell apart. I wanna make some piled high corn beef on rye. I'm going to buy an electric slicer so I can do this. Does anybody know how the deli's cook them? lol..I don't want to corn the beef myself..will buy the ones from the store.

The others got it - made corned beef and cabbage a couple of weeks ago - slow cooker with beer. It was fork tender hot, but the left over wrapped and stored in the ice box was good for thin slicing next day.
(Next time I'm going to use apple juice and brown sugar and compare - should be all together different taste.)

My daughter is ready for Rubin sandwiches. :chef:

My bet is Delis get them precooked. But yes, cook following package directions, and then cool, chil in fridge. THis year I'm buying two cause one just wasn't enough last year, it was SOOOOOOOOOOO good!

Carefully simmer for 2 1/2 hours and start checking with a fork . When it is just about fork tender remove and wrap and refrigerate. When cold!! slice with a very sharp knife across the grain. You should be able to slice as thin as you want.

My bet is Delis get them precooked. But yes, cook following package directions, and then cool, chil in fridge. THis year I'm buying two cause one just wasn't enough last year, it was SOOOOOOOOOOO good!

Yes, deli's get them precooked. Also, why the deli Corned Beef looks so pretty is that they use a trimmed Bottom or Eye Round, instead of the fatty Brisket.

Ditto to what every one else has said about slicing the Corned Beef while it's cold and against the grain. And Corned Beef really doesn't need to be cooked past 190° or 195° internal to be tender, BUT slicing it against the grain will help to make it more tender.

Buy three Corned Beef's this year and make your own "Pastrami" per the instructions below. Not 'true' Pastrami, but I call it "Lazy Mans Pastrami" and it's pretty darn good and easy to make.

Here is a store bought Corned Beef Brisket that has the fat trimmed off, a cold water bath for 12 hours (to help leech some of the salt, water was changed every 4 hours) and seasoned with garlic powder then a dusting of fresh ground pepper.

Onto a 250° indirect grill with some cherry and hickory smoke.

img_544605_0_6f9b91c2799913b696de2833b33c2015.jpg

After approx 5 hours, the temp was up to 188°. It was pulled off the grill, allowed to cool and then wrapped in the fridge over night.

img_544605_1_ef485a65875398e8a5fb9b4419b0c9de.jpg

Here we are cut in half....purdy, ain't it? ;)

img_544605_2_ed3c6ae0637b764916caf66fd31b703f.jpg

Onto the slicer and sliced thin against the grain.

img_544605_3_0139350f53346c5f24173f0696717836.jpg

This was some mighty fine "Pastrami" :-p

img_544605_4_d86229ab51279eb852e14888eecb60ad.jpg

Rye, Swiss, mustard and some pickles

img_544605_5_69526b116abe56d382c8ea5eb2cacb34.jpg

looks perfect !! thanks..gonna have to buy a few this year to try..I'm still debating about buying a meat slicer. I have limited space and I'm not sure how much I would use it. I have been looking at them on the web..so many to choose from. I may end up getting an electric knife to try first.
I love rubens and I also love corned beef with horseradish. Gotta have rye bread !
I have seen a few delies on TV that cook their own.

I have had, growing up, corned beef and pastrami sandwiches in many Kosher delis in NYC.

If one has never experienced the food in those places it is worth a trip just for that experience. Come to think of it we have not been there in a while. Kosher delis, NY pizza, and Chinatown, a culinary experience everyone should have at least once or very often.

In the delis the corned beef was generally not cut thinner than one could do with a sharp knife and a cold corned brisket. In my HO you do not want wafer thin slices, just fairly thin ones, sorta the thickness of roast beef you can get at the deli counter. And those you can make with a knife, just make sure the knife is sharp and the meat cold.

Have lusted after a meat slicer for years but am a recovering gadget-a-holic with no room to store anything more and no real pressing need for the deli slicer.

BUT I WANT IT.

Sorry, withdrawl does not come easily. And if I don't watch 'Paid Prigramming' shows I can get along fairly well.

Hate to get on these tangents. But cold knife and cold meat and you can do just fine without the gizmo.

I would avoid the electric carving knife if at all possible. I've had one in the past, and it just rips meat up (think "sawdust" when using a saw to cut would; here, you get "meat dust" LOL).

I'm lucky, working in restaurants. I have access to a meat slicer whenever I want to use it, provided I clean it up afterwards.

I've worked in several places that sliced their own Corned Beef for Ruebens. The first was a steakhouse, and they ALWAYS cooked their meat from raw. 8 oz of freshly-cooked Corned Beef on marbles light and dark rye bread, with all the classic fixin's......wait, that's another thread.

The last two places I've worked (currently still working at one) were both country clubs. One of those always used precooked, frozen, Corned Beef, usually made from Eye of Round. The GM there didn't like Ruebens, and would take them off the menu after a few months, but the members would gripe at him enough that those sandwiches would return after awhile.

The club I'm currently working at has done both methods, buy raw Corned Beef, cook and slice it, or just buy precooked meat, and slice it. It just depends on whatever is cheapest at the time.

Dang, now I'm getting hungry for Ruebens. I may have to buy a flat, take it to work, cook it, chill it, and slice it, then take the sliced product home to make sandwiches. Probably get enough for a couple day's worth of sandwiches (my other half, PeppA, and her mom, both love Ruebens).

Its been so long since I had a corned beef sandwich at a good kosher deli I have forgotten how thin it was sliced..lol..I'll guess I will make due with what I have and see how it goes.
They showed a deli in NY (I forgot it's name) on food network, that piled corn beef on a sandwich about 10 inches high..so big, there was no way you could get your mouth around it. Seems crazy to me and a waste. People flocked to the place.lol

A steakhouse that I worked at in Michigan served a Rueben with 8 oz of corned beef. It wasn't as big as the one you saw, but it was plenty big enough.

I love Rueben sandwiches, but was having the same problem with the meat. Also the brisket was just too greasy for me. At least now I know what to get and how to do it right this time around! Thanks y'all.

i now this is an old thread, but Gordon's Food Service has corned beef made from the ee of the r

Seeeeya; Chief longwind of the Northond. It is already cooked, and perfect for slicing. It is much leaner than briquet, and tastes every bit as good. For pastrami, simpley fire up the grill with charcoal and wood for smoke, and smoke the chunk of meat for3 hours or so, with low, indericeet heat. You can coat the outside with pepper if you want, but it's not required, and pastrami is simply smoke corned beef.

Seeeeeya; Chief Lonwind of the North

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of this dish, but I have followed Steamy Kitchen for years and her recipes have always been reliable. It sounds like a good idea to cook the vegetables separately in some of the sauce - you get the best of both worlds that way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom