Copyrights and Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fer crying out loud, you guys. It's a LEGAL CONCEPT developed by PEOPLE over THOUSANDS of YEARS. Of COURSE there will be nuances and exceptions. Since you're apparently too unmotivated to read the threads we've had on this topic before, I'll repeat an example I gave before. By the way, using an excerpt from a copyrighted work for educational purposes is a legal exception to the copyright law. This is really for others reading the thread because I'm betting the old dogs aren't interested in learning new tricks.

This recipe for corn tortillas was written by a home cook for Taste of Home:

1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve a smooth dough. Let rest for 10 minutes.
  2. Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle.
  3. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm.

This one was written by Rick Bayless:

1. Mix dough. If using powdered masa harina, measure into bowl and add 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons hot tap water. Mix with hand, kneading until thoroughly combined. Cover and let stand 15 minutes. If using fresh masa, scoop into bowl. Break up and knead a few times until smooth.
  2. Heat griddle or skillets. Set large griddle (one that stretches of 2 burners) or 2 skillets on stovetop. Set heat under one end of griddle (or one skillet) at medium. Set heat under other end (or other skillet) at medium-high.
  3. Adjust consistency of dough. Gently squeeze dough. If it is stiff (it probably will be), knead in water 1 or 2 teaspoons at a time until the dough feels like soft cookie dough - not stiff, but not sticky. Divide evenly into 15 pieces and roll each into a ball. Cover with plastic.
  4. Press out dough balls. Cut 2 pieces of plastic bag 1-inch larger than tortilla press. Open press. Lay in one piece of plastic. Lay dough ball in center. Gently mash. Top with second piece of plastic. Close press. Press gently enough to mash dough into 1/8-inch disc. Pull off top piece of plastic.
  5. Unmold uncooked tortilla. Flip tortilla onto right hand (if right-handed). IMPORTANT: top of tortilla should line up with top of index finger. Lay on medium-hot griddle (or skillet) by letting bottom of tortilla touch griddle, then lowering your hand slightly and moving it away from youthe tortilla will stick to the hot surface so you can roll your hand out from under it as it rolls down flat.
  6. First flip. After about 30 seconds, edges of tortilla will dry slightly and tortilla will release from griddlebefore this moment, tortilla will be stuck. With metal spatula (or callused fingers), flip onto hotter side of griddle (or hotter skillet).
  7. Second flip. After about 30 seconds, tortilla should be browned underneath. Flip. Cook 30 seconds more. Tortilla should puff in places (or all over - a gentle press with metal spatula or fingers encourages puffing). Transfer to basket lined with towel.
  8. Continue. Press and bake remaining tortillas. Stack each baked tortilla on previous one. Keep tortillas well wrapped in towel to keep warm.

Hopefully you can see the difference.

Last edited:
Fer crying out loud, you guys. It's a LEGAL CONCEPT developed by PEOPLE over THOUSANDS of YEARS. Of COURSE there will be nuances and exceptions. Since you're apparently too unmotivated to read the threads we've had on this topic before, I'll repeat an example I gave before. By the way, using an excerpt from a copyrighted work for educational purposes is a legal exception to the copyright law. This is really for others reading the thread because I'm betting the old dogs aren't interested in learning new tricks.

Anytime I post a recipe, I expect that it will be used to educate the user on how to cook that particular dish. Does that make it part of the exception? I'm sure that you don't think so, but you will never convince me that there is a significant difference.

It has nothing do do with learning new tricks. Copyrights, like patents, should only be concerned with original intellectual product (which most recipes really aren't), or when there is financial loss involved. Protection for the sake of protection with no other enabling factors makes no sense, just confuses the issue, and in reality is virtually unenforceable.

Anytime I post a recipe, I expect that it will be used to educate the user on how to cook that particular dish. Does that make it part of the exception? I'm sure that you don't think so, but you will never convince me that there is a significant difference.

It has nothing do do with learning new tricks. Copyrights, like patents, should only be concerned with original intellectual product (which most recipes really aren't), or when there is financial loss involved. Protection for the sake of protection with no other enabling factors makes no sense, just confuses the issue, and in reality is virtually unenforceable.

The key word for the educational exception is excerpt - using a small amount of the copyrighted material. There are court cases establishing that you can't use a textbook or a chapter for free to teach a group something, but you can use a few paragraphs.

As I said before, people are free to waive their rights and give their work away. That doesn't mean the rights never existed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom