Cookies for a diabetic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macgyver1968

Senior Cook
My sister's friend's husband is a wonderfully, kind man. He took an old, beat-up, unplayable acoustic guitar I had, and totally refurbished it for me. Now it looks and plays great! He's on the cookie list this Christmas, but he's a diabetic. I've never baked for a diabetic. I've got some Truvia sugar substitute...around 25 packets.

I've been looking at their conversion charts, and that is apparently the equivalent of about 1 cup of sugar. However, they have a product called "Truvia baking blend" that has sugar added to it. Apparently baking with just Truvia isn't a good idea..unfortuately I can't seem to find how much sugar I add to the truvia.

Anyone know, or have any hints on baking cookies with sugar subs?

I'm a diabetic, never used Truvia for baking.

I try to use higher fiber ingredients, reduce the sugar in the recipe by at least 1/2, toss in some nuts as a low carb filler and make them a little smaller than regular cookies. Oatmeal with peanut butter, a few chocolate chips and some walnuts is a pretty good combo.

They are not lo-cal or diabetic cookies, they are just cookies. An adult diabetic should be able to judge the number of cookies they can work into the daily diet.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Aunt Bea. I'd rather go that route than some weirdo sugar sub made in some lab by a guy in a white coat. I'll let you know how it goes.

This is the recipe for one of the types of cookies I'm making. Would you mind looking at it Aunt Bea, and let me know what changes you would make?

Joy the Baker – Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies

Would just halving the sugar and brown sugar be ok?

The recipe does not have a great deal of sugar in it compared to other cookie recipes, they may have already reduced the sugar. IMO you could make it as is.

You could cut both sugars in half or leave out the white sugar and swap the light brown sugar for dark brown if you have it. The dark sugar will add some additional flavor. The texture may change slightly from the higher sugar version, but they won't taste any different, give it a try and see how you like them. It's all about seeking the minimum, when you find you have cut too much then go back to the previous version and put it in your recipe file.

Let us know after you have done a taste test on both versions, it may require intensive testing and a half gallon of milk before you can decide! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks so much. I've made those cookies before, and they were really good. Oh shoot...I'm going to have to taste test cookies...whoa is me.

As a diabetic, I would urge you to think of something else for your friend. I know cookies are traditional at Christmas, but maybe a non-food item would be more thoughtful?

Or you could go with a box of mixed nuts, or a cheese/sausage plate?

As a diabetic, I would urge you to think of something else for your friend. I know cookies are traditional at Christmas, but maybe a non-food item would be more thoughtful?

I like the cheese sausage plate idea. You could make homemade crackers to go with it.

I think that's a good idea.

I need y'alls help again. I asked for help earlier...and y'all came through with flying colors. My low sugar apple Cinnamon oatmeal cookies were a total hit with my diabetic friend. So much so..that his wife has asked me to help her with a project.

On Valentines day, they are going to give the elderly church choir members that are no longer active a gift basket. She has asked me to help out and make cookies for these baskets.

I need low sodium, diabetic friendly cookie recipes appropriate for old folks. if you help me...I guarantee you will receive karma points for making a seniors day bright!

Mitch

I am also diabetic. Like Aunt Bea said, an adult diabetic can easily fit most foods into their diets. For me, I find that oatmeal cookies, fruit bars and breads, etc. can all work well. I try for items with higher fiber and increased proteins (via nuts, etc.) work best with my diet. Lowering the salt is rarely an issue for me since I never use much salt anyway.

I would not get hung up on making a cookie for a group of elderly diabetics.

Concentrate on making a great cookie that everyone can enjoy.

I would look for recipes that get flavor from citrus zest, spices, extracts, etc... and just drop the salt.

I would also look for high fiber ingredients as Kathleen suggests. Try fiddling around with a recipe like this one.

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookie Recipe - The Artful Parent

Cut the sugar in half, drop the salt, cut the cranberries by half and chop them to release flavor, add some finely chopped walnuts, leave off the sprinkle of sugar etc...

Pick up the Valentine theme with the splash of red from the cranberries, the heart shape and some inexpensive red, heart themed, packaging from the dollar store. Sell the sizzle, not the steak! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You have plenty of time to experiment and it doesn't sound like you will have trouble assembling a tasting panel!

Good luck and have fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom