Container for salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not concerned with contaminating the salt. I have enough common sense to realize that if I might be reaching into my salt box with dirty fingers, I put enough salt into a washable glass mis en place bowl for the recipe. I'm pretty sure most of us know to do that.

If you find that you do need to dip your chicken juice laden fingers into the salt, use your clean one a la dry hand/wet hand when doing breading.

If push comes to shove, stop what you are doing and just wash your hands.

OK Missy. You just STOP with that common sense talk!!! ;)

Ross

LOL, I try to remember to wear an apron, great for a quick swipe of fingers to reach into the salt. Otherwise the moisture will join the dirt from the garden on the seat of my pants where I last swiped my hands.

But also, my thought is, unless your hands are absolutely dripping in moisture all over the counter, the floor, the stove, wet salt is only going to stick to your damp fingers and stay there. Not drop back into the cup.
Agreed, 'wet hand/dry hand' flip chop/breast/leg/fish/roast with one hand, other hand for salt, pepper.

I mise en place the salt'p only if the recipe calls for a specific amount to be mixed in to the goop.

I have to get iodized salt. I have a thyroid problem and need it. the other salts we get, for others in the house, have nice containers which don't break like this one.

thanks all, for responding.

I have to get iodized salt. I have a thyroid problem and need it. the other salts we get, for others in the house, have nice containers which don't break like this one.

thanks all, for responding.

I'm sure that we can all figure out how not to cross contaminate food with the salt. But, are you the only one using your kitchen? Are you sure that anyone who uses the salt in your kitchen is going to think about being careful?

I'm sure that we can all figure out how not to cross contaminate food with the salt. But, are you the only one using your kitchen? Are you sure that anyone who uses the salt in your kitchen is going to think about being careful?
I really think you're overthinking this, taxy ;) I know it's fine in my house.

I really think you're overthinking this, taxy ;) I know it's fine in my house.

Friends (and strangers brought home by my ex) have done some things in my kitchen that made me unhappy. There was the party where someone put my brand new digital thermometer in the kitchen sink and dirty dishes on top. Yeah, that thermometer didn't survive. I have had friends start scrubbing my enamelled cast iron pots with steel wool or a steel "curly kate". I have been at other people's homes and seen them repeatedly taste something, using a spoon and keep using the same spoon. Heck, I see people do that on YouTube. Maybe I am overly cautious, but I would rather be a bit too cautions than not cautious enough. I only started thinking much about the salt after this thread started. For salt, I use a container that only gets contaminated on the outside.

taxy, my dear SIL - love her, she's a dear - would fail any kind of ServSafe inspection. :LOL: Okay, she's not that bad, but she has done things over the years that bother me. When we first met her soon-to-be son-in-law (Taiwanese born, U.S. resident and citizen since his mid-teens), he grabbed a paper towel when I asked him to "grab that towel" (pointing to the one on the oven door handle) and wipe something for me. I asked why he didn't use the towel. He shyly pointed to my SIL and said "she uses the same towel for everything". I told him while we were in town my SIL went ahead and obeyed my "two towels" rule - one for hands, one for JUST clean dishes.

...But, are you the only one using your kitchen? Are you sure that anyone who uses the salt in your kitchen is going to think about being careful?
Sadly, I'm the ONLY one cooking and/or cleaning up. Just once I week I wish I could trade places with Himself and sit while he did everything else. Once a week. But then I'd have to worry about the cross contamination, the cookware being mistreated, etc.

I must admit that should I have seen someone washing my enameled CI's with any of those things I would have quickly corrected them! And I'm often not really known for being very tactful. :ermm: :angel:

I never used to let anyone help me clean up - then I realized they truly wanted to help in some way, they would feel guilty if I didn't - so I let them...

Then I would just re-wash in the morning. :rolleyes:

I must admit that should I have seen someone washing my enameled CI's with any of those things I would have quickly corrected them! And I'm often not really known for being very tactful. :ermm: :angel:

I never used to let anyone help me clean up - then I realized they truly wanted to help in some way, they would feel guilty if I didn't - so I let them...

Then I would just re-wash in the morning. :rolleyes:

I didn't just correct them, I probably shouted at them. But, by then, some damage had been done.

About the help with dishwashing, I have a method for that. I usually say, "Great! I'll wash and you rinse and inspect. I can wash faster when I know that someone is checking that the dishes got completely clean."

Back
Top Bottom