Container for salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyItsSara

Sous Chef
We have several kinds of salt at home but the one I am most concerned about is the kind with iodine as I have a thyroid condition and that's what i use most.

The spout on the container we get it in always rips and then we're almost taking a bath in it!

What kind of separate container does everyone use/recommend? Not for table use; it's to keep on the counter for cooking.

Thanks

I too have many kinds of salt that I use but my main one, the table salt is this one.
The lid swings around a complete 360 turn. There is a tiny little magnet in the lid and on the edge if you look carefully.
I believe that this is available on Amazon but I got this somewhere else. It is big enough to use with a measuring spoon and/or do the pinch with fingers routine. It's also easy to fill without spilling salt from the larger box container.20220602_140741.jpg20220602_140721.jpg

I too have many kinds of salt that I use but my main one, the table salt is this one.
The lid swings around a complete 360 turn. There is a tiny little magnet in the lid and on the edge if you look carefully.
I believe that this is available on Amazon but I got this somewhere else. It is big enough to use with a measuring spoon and/or do the pinch with fingers routine. It's also easy to fill without spilling salt from the larger box container.View attachment 52038View attachment 52039

I really like how these “salt cellars” look. BUT it’s to easy to contaminate when using fingers (that may have food on them) to take a pinch. And I wouldn’t want to dump out salt after each cook. I have taken a new box of Morton’s salt and using a large cooking fork with large tines and poke several holes on the opposite side of the top of box from where the spout is. That way I can shake with the holes side for small amount or open spout to measure larger amounts.

Last edited:
Oh my!! All these decades of pinching salt and I've never thought of contamination.

Now I have a new thing to worry about. :ermm:

Ross

I believe that this is available on Amazon but I got this somewhere else. It is big enough to use with a measuring spoon and/or do the pinch with fingers routine. It's also easy to fill without spilling salt from the larger box container.View attachment 52038View attachment 52039

Mine is similar to yours except it has 2 compartments. I keep iodized salt in one side and kosher salt in the other. This is the one I have and, I suppose, pepper could be stored in one of the sections.
https://www.amazon.com/Paula-Deen-S...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345015865047&psc=1

Some people have health issues and need to worry about contamination.

very few bacteria survive in an 'all salt' environment.
salt beef/pork was the defacto preservation method for thousands of years.
'contamination' is not likely a major issue.

I was gifted the swing-lid container, I use it. but frankly my deer, a small glass pyrex bowl was seriously more convenient during the 20 pre-gift years.

I like that salt cellar idea. I use salt at the table for us. I don't generally add salt to cooking. Taste buds will taste salt if it is on the outside of an item but it doesn't notice it much if it is mixed into things.

For example: corn flakes don't taste salty, salted peanuts taste salty. The corn flakes have more sodium than the peanuts.

We get very humid weather here, (wisconsin), so humid the salt shaker top absorbs water out of the humid air and clogs up and the salt gets chunky. We keep our salt in a small salt shaker with a lid, all summer.

Why this salt over other iodized table salts?

Many years ago, we found it at Costco. We tried it and decided we liked it better than other iodized table salt. I don't remember in what way we thought it was better. Maybe we thought it tasted slightly better? And, of course, it has that convenient container. I have had occasional problems with boxes of dry stuff getting wet. This is mostly for stuff that I buy a number of containers and store them. Cardboard boxes and their contents don't fair well with water.

Years ago, Alton Brown used a salt container that was glass and steel. Mine is similar, although mine was listed as a cheese dish when I bought it.
The bowl is glass, so I can put it in the dishwasher. It has a lid, so debris doesn't fall in, and it has a spoon, so MsMoffets concerns are abated.

I usually just pinch what I need, but if my hands are messy, I can scoop salt into my palm, and pinch what I need, and toss the extra..

Attachments

• 20220602_235528.jpg
    20220602_235528.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220602_235520.jpg
    20220602_235520.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
As to contaminating the salt, I don't think that microorganisms growing in the salt is the concern. If I handle something like raw chicken and dip my fingers into the salt container to sprinkle on the chicken, I have contaminated the salt. What if I then grab a sprinkle of salt to add to the vinaigrette, which will be eaten raw?

I'm not concerned with contaminating the salt. I have enough common sense to realize that if I might be reaching into my salt box with dirty fingers, I put enough salt into a washable glass mis en place bowl for the recipe. I'm pretty sure most of us know to do that.

If you find that you do need to dip your chicken juice laden fingers into the salt, use your clean one a la dry hand/wet hand when doing breading.

If push comes to shove, stop what you are doing and just wash your hands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom