Coleslaw Dressing:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxy

Senior Cook
I’m sorry I don’t have a picture.

This is my favorite coleslaw dressing.

I just buy premade coleslaw mix and use this dressing.

Adjust amounts if you need to, it all depends on how much coleslaw you have.

Coleslaw Dressing:

3/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Vinegar
2 Cups Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
1-1/2 Cups Half-And-Half

Blend all the ingredients; put in covered jar and refrigerate.

Put coleslaw in a large bowl; pour dressing over and stir.

Cover and refrigerate.

@Roxy that seems like a lot of "liquid" ingredients for only one bag of coleslaw mix (12 ounce bags locally). I'm counting the mayo as liquid. I looked up the copycat recipe for KFC's version, which I understand some people think is the classic style, and it uses only 1 ¼ liquids for 8 cups of shredded cabbage.
And that is a lot of sugar.
So much sugar...

I’m sorry I don’t have a picture.

This is my favorite coleslaw dressing.

I just buy premade coleslaw mix and use this dressing.

Adjust amounts if you need to, it all depends on how much coleslaw you have.

Coleslaw Dressing:

3/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Vinegar
2 Cups Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
1-1/2 Cups Half-And-Half

Blend all the ingredients; put in covered jar and refrigerate.

Put coleslaw in a large bowl; pour dressing over and stir.

Cover and refrigerate.
I will try this Dressing next weekend.

this is our fav -
DRESSING:
⦁ 1/2 cup mayonnaise (125g MiracleWhip Lite)
⦁ 1 tsp lemon juice
⦁ 3 tbsp sugar
⦁ 3 tbsp milk
⦁ 2 tbsp vinegar
⦁ 1 tsp salt

note:
I presume this came out of the Amish community - most of their slaws are heavily sugared. 3T sugar is way too much for my tastes; I reduce it to 1.5 T

There are a number I've enjoyed.

I most often make it with mayo, rice vinegar, a bit of dijon and cumin as well as the other regular seasonings.

I had a good one on Hawaii the other week, Kewpie mayo, sesame oil, togarishi (maybe some sriracha too) and furikake. Might have been a little rice vinegar in there as well, but not much.

I've had another odd one based in a 1:1 rice vinegar sugar syrup with turmeric thickend with corn starch at a local fish and chips place.

Had a lousy sweet/sour one sort of southern style at a now defunct barbecue joint.

Yeah, this stuff sounds like the reason I hate coleslaw in many restos.
They make some pretty good coleslaw down here in the south. BBQ and fish camp restaurants in particular. Not sure why they call them "fish camps" as there are no campers anywhere to be found. Maybe someone here may know why and how they got this title.

Anyway there is a BBQ joint in town that has a red slaw. Its a BBQ "wash" type dressing. Mostly vinegar, sugar and crushed red pepper. Maybe some water.
They use this for coleslaw dressing and its very good. Not sweet. Not hot. Very tangy. Its very popular down here for slaw and as BBQ (finishing) sauce.

To the wash. Years ago Jeff Smith the Frugal Gourmet had a recipe for this type of wash. He said every house in Arkansas had a big jug under each sink. Of course he was just referring to its popularity. He called it "Bill Clinton" BBQ wash.
I have kept the recipe to this day and I make it sometimes. Its great to use at the grill near the end of cooking, brushed over grilled anything after it is removed from the grill and excellent for Bloody Marys. Coleslaw as well.
Many times after I have cut up the ribs, I brush it liberally all over them. I have received many good responses from it.
It has vinegar, white wine, very little ketchup, a little yellow mustard, lots of black pepper, some salt, I think some chili powder and just a bit of water.
I know I am forgetting something or 2, but it is great. In fact I'm going to make some to keep in the fridge. It lasts forever it seems.

They make some pretty good coleslaw down here in the south. BBQ and fish camp restaurants in particular. Not sure why they call them "fish camps" as there are no campers anywhere to be found. Maybe someone here may know why and how they got this title.

Anyway there is a BBQ joint in town that has a red slaw. Its a BBQ "wash" type dressing. Mostly vinegar, sugar and crushed red pepper. Maybe some water.
They use this for coleslaw dressing and its very good. Not sweet. Not hot. Very tangy. Its very popular down here for slaw and as BBQ (finishing) sauce.

To the wash. Years ago Jeff Smith the Frugal Gourmet had a recipe for this type of wash. He said every house in Arkansas had a big jug under each sink. Of course he was just referring to its popularity. He called it "Bill Clinton" BBQ wash.
I have kept the recipe to this day and I make it sometimes. Its great to use at the grill That sounds interesting. When you have a chance, please post your complete recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom