Clams storebought vs foraged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Mannn

Assistant Cook
Is there a difference. I am traveling with family to Oregon. We are in a big cabin near the shore, and one night we will be having a FEAST! Well travel to town and buy fresh off the dock. My job is clams.

I am from the Midwest. I know Nothing of seafood. The only clams I have ever eaten are the breaded fried ones at red lobster and I only taste the breading there.

so I have been watching you tube, and I see a lot of instructions on how to remove sand from foraged clams. Are there cultured clams grown on a farm? do I even need to clean those. or are they just as dirty?

all I have to get is get clams, pay for them, and clean them. One of the ladies will take over from there and steam the little darlings alive.

asking for a friend (who wants to get out of work).

After I check for red tide warnings, I dig clams from the beach, I don't buy them. To clean them, I put them in cold fresh water for a couple of hours, then check for and discard dead clams or clams with chipped shells before steaming them and serving with butter/wine/shallots/garlic or whatever seems good at the time.

Whoever sells you the clams will tell you whether or not you'll need to clean them.
It's not that the clams are dirty, it's that they're filter feeders, so they have sand inside.
It's cheap, easy and fun to dig your own clams, though I don't know about clamming regulations in Oregon.

If you don't have overnight to "purge" the clams, here's another way. This is copied from Serious Eats.

Purging is easy: Simply let the clams stand in cold, salty water (about as salty as the sea, which means around a 3% solution, though I always just eyeball it). Lift the clams out every 30 minutes, change the water, and repeat until you see no sand or grit in the bottom of the bowl.

Probably anywhere from 4 - 6 times?

But asking the guy on the wharf is probably a good way to go.

Not in Iowa.

LOL...but in Oregon and Washington you do! Might even be more for out-of-state folks...but I'm not sure on that. There are a few places that don't require a license for minors to fish. Not sure on clamming.

NOTE: Clamming is NOT a clean sport. Be prepared to clean yourself up too! Shorts are advised...along with shoes that can be hosed off, if you wear them after clamming. While I've not done it myself, I've observed those returning from clamming when we are out camping. It is kind of amusing!

Know this was only started on Fri. OP didn't say when they'd be back but am anxiously hoping to hear the results of their FEAST!

Back
Top Bottom