Christmas Day Christmas Eve dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Christmas Eve we spend at grandma's house and usually just order pizza. Christmas morning, however, the whole family gets together for Christmas Brunch with a beautiful spread of brunch/breakfast foods. We eat, open gifts, then sit around talking and watching Christmas shows the rest of the morning into early afternoon.

That sounds wonderful Linda..

Yeah, it was good times we used to ride horses and even tired to ride the pigs, don't ever try that.. Grandpaw lived so far out in the country he had electricity but no running water, hr had a hand pump and a outhouse out back.. lol
We used to visit my great-grandparents on their farm in Michigan. They were retired by the time we came along, although their two sons lived beside them in their own homes on both sides and raised hogs on the property. My dad told me I got into their pen once and he had to put me out. I don't remember if I tried to ride one, but they're definitely dangerous to be penned up with.

Last edited:
It is. [emoji2]

And GG, I'm curious about your "crispy" Brussels. How do you make those? I don't think I've ever had crispy Brussels sprouts before.
I had them in a restaurant once and I'm going to try to recreate them. They're cut into long pieces and cooked twice - once to cook through and then sautéed to crisp them up. Served with bacon. I have a chef friend I'm going to ask about it and see if I can get some tips. I tried it once and wasn't happy with it, so we'll see.

I had them in a restaurant once and I'm going to try to recreate them. They're cut into long pieces and cooked twice - once to cook through and then sautéed to crisp them up. Served with bacon. I have a chef friend I'm going to ask about it and see if I can get some tips. I tried it once and wasn't happy with it, so we'll see.

That sounds delicious. My mom used to make the most wonderful fried cabbage with bacon, so this sounds pretty similar. Would love the recipe once you get it perfected to your satisfaction :)

Christmas Eve:
Must have french-canadian tourtiere, just like my grand-mother used to make!

And Christmas Day: Yes, likely do reverse-seared Prime Rib Roast, just like we did last year.

I've pulled each leaf from Brussels sprouts until I got to the tiny heart, then shredded that part very fine. After cooking bacon to render the drippings and setting the bacon bits aside, I've sauteed the petals to a nice crisp texture. Pulling leaves isn't a bother if you do it while watching TV. Just don't keep watching once you get to the shredding part. ;)

Sunday before Christmas:
Ham
Potato salad
Collards

Christmas Eve:
Leftovers from Sunday while I'm cooking

Christmas Day:
Ham
Turkey
mashed potatoes
potato salad
dressing (plain & oyster)
parkerhouse rolls
collards
candied sweet potatoes
green jello salad
cranberry jello salad
corn pudding
deviled eggs

Desserts:
chocolate pie
lemon pie

I've pulled each leaf from Brussels sprouts until I got to the tiny heart, then shredded that part very fine. After cooking bacon to render the drippings and setting the bacon bits aside, I've sauteed the petals to a nice crisp texture. Pulling leaves isn't a bother if you do it while watching TV. Just don't keep watching once you get to the shredding part. ;)
Thanks, I'll try that. Does it cook long enough to cook out the grassy flavor?

Last edited:
Lots of folks doing rib roast. I most likely will be as well. The main grocer in the area, Meijer, the last few years has ran standing rib roast for $5.99 a lb! Kinda hard to pass that up. I plan on putting it in the smoker.

Think I'll make some cream of potato and bacon with it.

Christmas Eve we spend at grandma's house and usually just order pizza. Christmas morning, however, the whole family gets together for Christmas Brunch with a beautiful spread of brunch/breakfast foods. We eat, open gifts, then sit around talking and watching Christmas shows the rest of the morning into early afternoon.

Do you go over the river and through the woods?

All your food plans sound delicious!

We don't have a special menu for Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day we'll have some appys then a reverse seared boneless rib roast (ribeye roast) with jus, lyonnaise potatoes (baked potato for SIL) and some veggies my daughters will bring. Desserts will be cheesecake with a couple of different toppings and lots 'o' cookies.

C. Eve will be Chicken Chili and Mexican cornbread, although we often buy homemade Tamales for the meal, it's a little different this year.

C. Day dinner will be our traditional roasted ducks, with Mushroom Rice Pilaf , my Holiday Fruit Salad and Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli along with dinner rolls. My family really looks forward to our special Christmas roasted ducks every year.

I'm looking forward to Prime Rib being on sale after Christmas for our annual New Year's meal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom