Chorizo Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We often eat linguisa but no chourico so, I had to see what the difference might be.

"What is the difference between chourico and linguica? Chourico and linguica are both smoked sausages made with lean pork and a blend of spices. Chourico is made with a beef casing which has a larger diameter. Linguica is made with a hog casing and is smaller."

Frequently Asked Questions - Mello's Chourico & Linguica
https://www.melloschourico.com

Ross

Okay, for everyone who is confused about chorizos, here is a recipe for Fresh Mexican Style Chorizo:

Fresh Chorizo
Ingredients:

• [*]1 lb ground pork (I have also used turkey)
    [*]½ brown onion, finely chopped
    [*]1 tsp garlic, minced
    [*]1½ Tbs chili powder*
    [*]1 Tbs oregano
    [*]½ tsp ground cumin
    [*]½ tsp coriander
    [*]½ tsp salt
    [*]¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    [*]½ tsp paprika
    [*]¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
    [*]1 Tbs olive oil
    [*]1 Tbs water
    [*]1 Tbs vinegar
    [*]1½ tsp sugar

Instructions:

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, divide into quarters, roll each quarter into a log, and tightly wrap each log with plastic wrap, twisting the ends to secure.

*If you like it mild, use Ancho chili powder, if you like it spicy, use New Mexico chili powder

Now, here are two recipes using Fresh Mexican Style Chorizo:

Baked Eggs with Chorizo and Potatoes
Ingredients:

• 28oz bag of O’Brien potatoes, thawed
  • ¾ lb fresh chorizo
  • 2 Tbs extra light olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 eggs
  • street size corn or flour tortillas

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Heat the oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper and sauté, turning occasionally, until golden and crispy, about 6 minutes.

Remove the potatoes from the skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Add the chorizo to the skillet and sauté over medium heat until browned and crumbly, 8
to 10 minutes. Add the potatoes to the skillet, and stir to combine. Remove the skillet from the heat.

Using a ladle, make 6 indentations in the potato-chorizo mixture equal distance apart. Crack the eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl or ramekin and pour into an indentation. Repeat for each egg.

Bake the skillet on the center rack of a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Serve with tortillas and your favorite hot sauce.

Huevos Rancheros Especiale
Ingredients:

• 1 six-inch corn or flour tortilla
  • 1 tsp butter
  • ¼ cup Ranch Style Beans
  • 2oz fresh chorizo
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup salsa picante
  • Shredded Mexican style cheese
  • 1 Tbs Crema Mexican (or sour cream)
  • 1 Tbs guacamole
  • 1 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish

Instructions:

Heat Ranch Style Beans in a saucepan over medium heat.

Melt 1 tsp butter in cast iron skillet or frying pan. Heat the tortilla in the skillet until lightly brown on both sides. Place the tortilla on a serving plate.

Sauté the chorizo in a non-stick pan over medium heat until brown and crumbly. Spoon the Ranch Style Beans evenly over the tortilla and add the chorizo on top of the beans.

In the non-stick pan, cook an egg to your preference. Place the egg on top of the chorizo, sprinkle shredded cheese over the egg, add the salsa, Crema Mexican and/or guacamole, and garnish with fresh cilantro.

Mexican chorizo is not the same kind of sausage. So, the Portuguese way is not the "true way" of making Mexican chorizo.

i never sad the "true way" of making Mexican chorizo was the Portuguese way.. i just said that Portuguese chourico is the best and that video shows the true way of making Portuguese chourico..

i never sad the "true way" of making Mexican chorizo was the Portuguese way.. i just said that Portuguese chourico is the best and that video shows the true way of making Portuguese chourico..

My misunderstanding. You wrote "... that's the true way of making it ...".

But, you are trying to compare a fresh sausage that needs to be cooked with a cured sausage that can be eaten safely without cooking. They aren't trying to be the same thing.

I prefer the dried version over the fresh. I grew up eating it. My parents used it in several dishes.
My dad made an eye round roast with dried chorizo pushed all the way through the center. It really kicked it up. He also used dry chorizo as a seasoning meat in many Spanish dishes.
Its hard to find here and frankly I have never seen it in any store. But I do see it online.
Not sure I want to try drying it myself. And not sure I would have high quality ingredients to make it with?
I have seen it in Miami in a can packed with lard. Its good.

I prefer the dried version over the fresh. I grew up eating it. My parents used it in several dishes.
My dad made an eye round roast with dried chorizo pushed all the way through the center. It really kicked it up. He also used dry chorizo as a seasoning meat in many Spanish dishes.
Its hard to find here and frankly I have never seen it in any store. But I do see it online.
Not sure I want to try drying it myself. And not sure I would have high quality ingredients to make it with?
I have seen it in Miami in a can packed with lard. Its good.

Is the dried version hard or just firm? I can get a firm, cured chorizo from the place that sends me a basket of produce and groceries every week. So, I'm curious. I usually just munch thick slices or put it on a charcuterie board. What sorts of recipes is the dried one used in?

Is the dried version hard or just firm? I can get a firm, cured chorizo from the place that sends me a basket of produce and groceries every week. So, I'm curious. I usually just munch thick slices or put it on a charcuterie board. What sorts of recipes is the dried one used in?

Not sure if its dried or cured. Its very firm like pepperoni. And it has a much different taste than fresh Mexican chorizo. Its better.

Back
Top Bottom