Chocolate, vanilla butter and what else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
This is a little involved - my most ambitious project yet. I am famous in my school for baking chocolate cake but I want to branch out a bit. I want to make a 3 layer rectangular cake - the pan I will use is about 12x18, maybe a little bigger (metric sizes), so it is going to be a big, heavy sucker! I will most likely use chocolate frosting on the outside (possibly white chocolate) and decorate it with fruit. One layer of the cake will be chocolate and one layer will be vanilla. I am looking for suggestions for:

- the third layer. I want it to be a contrast with the color of the chocolate a vanilla layer. Chinese people appreciate tasty food, but they usually put more importance on the presentation than most western people do. I do not usually value the presentation - if it tastes good, people will eat it - so this will be new for me.

- the frosting. This includes the layers between the cakes as well as on top. I do have cream cheese, so can use that. I have jam and also a bottle of Mccormick strawberry flavored topping. I have considered mixing the jam or topping with a cream cheese frosting to make the cake less soggy. I have found that using jam between layers makes the cake a little soggy. I am open to fruit between layers also, but am concerned about moisture. I will make the cake the night before it is used. Should I put it in the fridge? I think it will fit in my fridge. If I put fruit in between the layers and then refrigerate it overnight will it get soggy? Should I put the cake in the fridge or leave it at room temperature? If I put the fruit on the top and sides of the cake at the last minute, will it stick if the frosting has already set? I also have toasted almond slivers to add to the tops or the side. My house is probably 70-75 degrees at the warmest. I plan on writing on the top with a chocolate glaze, and possibly drizzling the strawberry flavoring on it as well.
I am open to recipes and suggestions, but am looking for the voice of experience. I have tried a few recipes from websites but have found the results to be mediocre - recipes need to be tweaked. I am looking for experience people to share things with me that WILL work the FIRST time...quickly! Wish me lots of luck! I am a little bit nervous :pig:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom