Chinese New Year - January 22, 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR!!!
Gung hay fat choy (Cantonese for wishing you great happiness and prosperity)!

One must eat "lucky foods" for the new year, so we gathered up Mom and headed over to a new sister restaurant to our favorite Asian Bistro closer to us.. the new one is just around the corner from Mom's place.
We three shared a table full of food.
It was just as good as the other location, in fact DH said he liked it better at the new place.
Not pictured is 2 orders of Edamame and Kappa Maki.

IMG_2516.JPGIMG_2517.JPGIMG_2518.JPGIMG_2519.JPG

Vegan breakfast sausage (Nutmeg notebook source), and vegan egg omelet (peeled mung bean base). It was our first time trying it and it was good. Mr bliss wants it again tomorrow.
Dessert: strawberry nice-cream.

To welcome in the Year of the Rabbit, we are having delivery from our local Chinese Restaurant...
What a great idea! We'll have to do that before February 5th.

We had ham, potato patties, and French cut green beans - which were supposed to be French green beans (haricots vert) but I grabbed the wrong bag when shopping in a hurry. Still a "kiss the cook" meal.

20230122_211124.jpg

Roasted chicken breast, green beans, mashed potatoes, and gravy.

chicken_012223_IMG_0604.jpg

I tried a new-to-me recipe. I've been planning on making this for a few days, but today I finally felt well enough and had enough spoons to make it. It's a Danish twist on chicken cordon bleu. it's ground pork cordon bleu. Two thin ground pork patties with ham and cheese in between, then dipped in egg and bread crumbs. Obviously, fried after that. It was not easy to assemble, but I think it would be easier with practice. It held together better than I expected after actually working with it. It was good enough that we ate too much. That said, I think other variations that don't use ground meat might be a better idea. We had fingerling potatoes with that as well as a salad (rainbow chard, sorrel, Boston lettuce, red onion, red cabbage, and thinly sliced carrot) with my batch vinaigrette. I used raclette as the cheese. It was ooey gooey good.

Ground pork cordon bleu with fingerling potatoes, and salad.jpgGround pork cordon bleu with fingerling potatoes, and salad 2.jpg

I cut up a ham that I got cheap a while back, but couldn't take it over to a friend's house, because of someone in their family that ended up in the hospital,, with a non-covid problem, but people there were still visiting there, so I'm protecting myself. So I cooked the ham in the sous vide yesterday, then chilled it overnight, and today cut the bones out, the solid part (about 2 lbs), and the spiral part, and I got about 3 c of chopped up pieces, after I vacuum sealed about 8 3/4 lbs of ham, in 9 packets, for freezing.

While doing that, I started a batch of blackeyed pea soup in my Instant Pot, starting with cooking out the fat from some of the trimmings, then added a large, chopped onion, and sauteed that, while mincing a couple large garlic cloves, with about 2 tb fresh sage leaves. I added that, when the onion was browning, along with about a tb of tomato paste, and stirred it about 2 minutes, then added 7 c water, the 2 large bones, 4 fresh bay leaves, a tsp Syrian Oregano (my thyme flavor), and a little salt, though not a lot, as more will cook out of the ham. I pressure cooked this for 75 minutes, while doing the other work.

I had soaked the BEPs in some salt/soda water, about 6 hours, and when the bones were finished, I pulled those and the bay leaves out, and set them to pressure cook 8 min, then release 15 min. I got the rest of my greens from the garden chopped up - kale, cauliflower greens, komatsuna, and senposai - all trimmed back in December! I adjusted the seasonings, then the greens went into the soup at the end, and I just let them sit 5 minutes, before serving, with the cornbread.
Misc greens, to add to the soup, and let sit 5 minutes, before eating. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished ham and blackeyed pea soup, with the greens. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

a 9 x 13 pan of roasted chile cornbread, to have with the ham and blackeyed pea soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom