Chill con carne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi I have always used uncle bens chilli con carne sauce but have never attempted to make this myself. I think it is about time I had a go.

Any recipes that come close to this one one as I rather like it.

I'm thinking that this Uncle Ben's a pre-mix of spices sold in a packet?

And now you want a recipe for spices to put together yourself?

Don't make chili's anymore, empty nester. Got me thinking I'll have to put a batch up and freeze for easy/lazy meals. Have never used a pre-mix, just any basic recipe and chili powder to taste.

But think you might be a bit surprised, salt content in pre-mix anything is usually pretty high. So various recipes are really going to be different.

Why don't you google it and pull up 4 or 5 recipes, compare ingredients, choose the ingredients that are common to all, then peruse the other ones to add which strike your fancy. Write it all down, so if you like it you know what you did for next time - and if you don't - you know what not to do.

I found both the sauce, and ingredient list. The ingredients are pretty close to what I used in one of the chili cook-offs I participated in. So I'm posting that recipe, with a few modifications to change the heat level. The original was pretty spicy.:ohmy:

Ok, think sixes. In fact, I think I'll call this recipe Chili #6 .

6 lbs. can diced tomatoes
6 lb. can Kidney Beans
6 lb. can Pinto Beans
6 stalks Celery, sliced
6 lb. ground beef (good quality stuff)
6 ea. dried Tabasco Peppers,
6 Jalapeno Peppers,
1/4 cup Masa Harina (corn flour)
2 green peppers
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
3 large onions
2 tsp. ground Coriander
1 1/2 tbs. ground Cumin
17 oz. hot Chili Powder
1/4 cup freshly-chopped Cilantro
3 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate

Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke to taste, or better yet, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili.

Brown The ground beef and set aside. In a huge pot (must hold about 7 gallons) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal. serve with softened, fresh corn tortillas broken ad added to the bowls.

Again, that was for a chili cook-off and so was a very large batch. You can divide everything in half, or even multiply everything by 1/4th to get a more manageable amount.

Let me break it down into a smaller, but equivalent recipe.

15 oz.s. can diced tomatoes
15 oz.. can Kidney Beans
15 oz. lb. can Pinto Beans
1 stalks Celery, sliced
1 lb. ground beef (good quality stuff)
1 ea. dried Tabasco Peppers,
1 Jalapeno Pepper, diced
2 tbs. Masa Harina (corn flour)
1/2 green peppers
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/2 cup sliced, large onion
1/4 tsp. ground Coriander
1/2 tbs. ground Cumin
173 tbs. hot Chili Powder
2 tbs. freshly-chopped Cilantro
1/2 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate

That should make a better amount of chili for most people.:)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Here is a simple, straight forward recipe:

Chili con Carne

Ingredients:

1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb lean ground pork
½ cup onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
2 tsp garlic, minced
2½ Tbs chili powder divided
1 tsp cumin
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
28 oz crushed tomatoes
1 cup each, pinto beans, kidney beans, black beans, drained & rinsed
1½ cups beef broth
12 oz beer
1 Tbs tomato paste
1Tbs brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Combine ground beef and 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder. In a large pot, brown ground beef, onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Drain any fat.

Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 45-60 minutes or until chili has reached desired thickness.

Last edited:
Here is a more complex one:

Roadrunner Chili

Ingredients:

2 Lbs. Roadrunner, cooked and chopped
1 pound Coyote, ground
2 Tbs cooking oil
1 28oz. can crushed Tomatillos
1 28oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
1 Cup Chicken Broth
1 Cup Green Chiles , chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1 Bell Pepper, chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Jalapeno Pepper, chopped
¼ Cup Chili Powder
½ Stick of Butter
1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Black Pepper
2 tsp Salt
2 Lbs Pinto Beans, cooked
3 Tbs tequila
Fresh cilantro, for garnish

Instructions:

In a 12-quart chili pot, brown the coyote in cooking oil. Add the tomatillos, tomatoes, chicken broth, lime juice and cooked chopped roadrunner to the chili pot and reduce the heat to a simmer.

In a sauté pan, sauté the green chiles, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper in butter until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper, cumin, salt and black pepper and continue to sauté until all the vegetables are soft. Add the sautéd vegetables to the chili pot, then add the chili powder, beans, and tequila. Simmer for 1 hour. Serve in bowls with chopped fresh cilantro as garnish.

Thanks Sir Loin of B... was wondering what to do with that leftover Coyote in the freezer. Now just have to wait for a Roadrunner to pass by. :LOL: :LOL:

main-qimg-6626d7e7426f769b4bb921528883c808.webp

This thread gave me the idea for using up some of those Indian veggies I have - just another type of spicy sauce to put them in, instead of a curry!

I made some chili con carne today, to put a bunch of those gourds into, and it turned out really good. I made the meat sauce first, in the IP, cooking it under pressure for 30 min., then letting it release naturally. I never did it this way, but the flavor developed very quickly - usually takes at least a couple of hours of simmering to get that flavor. I cut up the entire large bottle gourd (42 oz, before peeling and de-seeding), and put the pieces in the microwave, the trick I got from ATK for reducing the water in eggplant, for ratatouille. I peeled, deseeded, and cut up the largest tinda gourd I had - about 18 oz - and left as is, cutting into triangles, so that I could tell the difference. I added them after the meat sauce was finished, then I cooked them on slow cook for about 1 1/2 hours, and none of them turned to mush, as eggplant or summer squash would have. The dried out bottle gourds didn't seem firmer, though if I hadn't done that, a lot more water would have gone into the chili. As usual, I finished by thickening with a little masa harina, and ate it with some corn tortillas, and shredded cheese.
Chili con Carne, with bottle and tinda gourds added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I found both the sauce, and ingredient list. The ingredients are pretty close to what I used in one of the chili cook-offs I participated in. So I'm posting that recipe, with a few modifications to change the heat level. The original was pretty spicy.:ohmy:

Ok, think sixes. In fact, I think I'll call this recipe Chili #6 .

6 lbs. can diced tomatoes

6 lb. can Kidney Beans

6 lb. can Pinto Beans

6 stalks Celery, sliced

6 lb. ground beef (good quality stuff)

6 ea. dried Tabasco Peppers,

6 Jalapeno Peppers,

1/4 cup Masa Harina (corn flour)

2 green peppers

1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

3 large onions

2 tsp. ground Coriander

1 1/2 tbs. ground Cumin

17 oz. hot Chili Powder

1/4 cup freshly-chopped Cilantro

3 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate

Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke to taste, or better yet, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili.

Brown The ground beef and set aside. In a huge pot (must hold about 7 gallons) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal. serve with softened, fresh corn tortillas broken ad added to the bowls.

Again, that was for a chili cook-off and so was a very large batch. You can divide everything in half, or even multiply everything by 1/4th to get a more manageable amount.

Let me break it down into a smaller, but equivalent recipe.

15 oz.s. can diced tomatoes

15 oz.. can Kidney Beans

15 oz. lb. can Pinto Beans

1 stalks Celery, sliced

1 lb. ground beef (good quality stuff)

1 ea. dried Tabasco Peppers,

1 Jalapeno Pepper, diced

2 tbs. Masa Harina (corn flour)

1/2 green peppers

1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

1/2 cup sliced, large onion

1/4 tsp. ground Coriander

1/2 tbs. ground Cumin

173 tbs. hot Chili Powder

2 tbs. freshly-chopped Cilantro

1/2 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate

That should make a better amount of chili for most people.:)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Good thing you had the smaller recipe. Otherwise I’d have invite an army to feed.

That sounds similar to the ingredients I use in my chili, though I don't think that even I would use 173 tablespoons of chili powder in that small amount of chili. Was that supposed to be 17.3 tablespoons, maybe? Even that is a generous amount - over a cup. One basic recipe that I use (for Texas style - no beans) has 4 lbs meat cubes, 4 cups water, and 1/2 c mixed chili powders, along with the other ingredients, and this is a lot of chili powder!

Yeh, I was thinking 17 oz. divided by 6, which is about 3 oz. Somehow the 17 got typed in with the three. That should have read 3 oz., not 173. Now you know why I struggled with math in my university studies. I made silly mistakes like that all the time, especially on tests. But somehow, I completed my 4 year Bachelors in Electrical Engineering Technology in 4 years, and aced all of my labs, and most of my homework.:ohmy:

Sorry about the mistake.:ermm:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom