Chili Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Looking for a good chili recipe. Me & DH went to Longbranch the other night (Restaurant in Fayetteville, Georgia) and DH ordered some Chili that was really delicious had good flavor and some spice to it. So now I'm looking for a good chili recipe. If you have one, I would love for you to share it plz!

Thanks,
Jessie

i don't have a recipe, but i made an outstanding beef and turkey chili recently (with beans, but they can be left out). my family loved it, snacking on it for days. in bread bowls, on hot dogs, on nachos, etc.. i brought some in for a couple of coworkers who killed off 2 pints in a few hours. :pig:

here goes; i still think i can remember a general explanation. :chef:

in a large ss skillet, render the fat from 2 slices of thick cut smoked bacon over medium-low heat. set bacon aside, and pour off a little of the bacon fat, reserving it for later.

add 3/4 pound of ground (85/15) beef to the hot fat. brown over medium-high heat, constantly chopping meat with a spoon or spatula to break it up. when well browned, transfer meat to a large ss stock pot over low heat.

add a cup of water to the skillet and deglaze, scraping the bottom. add liquid to the stock pot.

wipe out skillet, and render fat from 2 more slices of thick cut smoked bacon over medium low heat. set bacon aside with the first 2 slices.

add 3/4 pound of ground (93/7) ground turkey to the hot fat in the skillet. brown tukey - as best as possible - over medium heat, constantly scraping the pan while breaking up the meat. when browned-ish, trasfer meat to the stock pot.

add another cup of water to the skillet to deglaze, scraping. transfer liquid to the stock pot.

wipe out skillet, and render fat from 2 more slices of thick sliced smoked bacon. set bacon aside with the other 4 slices and let cool for a minute. chop bacon into 1/4" pieces and stir into the meat in the stock pot.

add 2 large sweet onions, diced 1/4" or so to the hot fat and fry over high heat until starting to brown. when almost done, push the onions to the sides and add a whole head of garlic, peeled and minced, to the center of the skillet with the reserved bacon fat. toast garlic for a minute, then stir into onions. transfer to stock pot.

to the stock pot, add 2 large green bell peppers, diced 1/4" , as well as a large bulb of fennel, also diced around 1/4".

add 2 minced, seeded, fresh jalapenos to the pot.

stir in a 12 oz. can of tomato paste, and a can (10 ozs.?) of rotel tomatoes with green chilis.

grind a healthy tablespoon of cumin seed. stir into pot, along with a heaping tbsp each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

make a rough chili powder by either grinding or finely chopping a dried chipotles, 2 dried anchos, and 2 dried mulato peppers. stir into pot.

if the mixture appears too thick, add a cup or more of water, or a beer if one is handy.

cover and simmer meat/pepper/onion/garlic/fennel mixture for a good hour until the peppers and fennel are starting to get soft, stirring frequently to keep it from burning on the bottom.

when the fennel and peppers are soft, stir in a drained and rinsed can (19 0zs.?) of red kidney beans, and a drained and rinsed can of cannellini beans.

cover and simmer another 30 minutes.

serve as i'd mentioned before, in bread bowls, on hot dogs, etc..

hth. :chef:

I prefer to make my chili from the left over taco meat mixture.

1# ground beef, browned with a chopped onion in a little water, covered on low. When meat and onions are done, drain and add 1 can diced stewed tomatoes and a pkg. of taco seasoning.

I have a tacos for dinner.

The next day, I add chili powder and tomato sauce, sometimes with a can of chili beans, mostly not.

What really give this chili the wow factor is the addition of a spoon of brown sugar and a sprinkle of allspice or ground cloves.

I have one that I make with cornbread baked on top. I don't have exact measurements for some of the spices though because I'm really bad at keeping track of that kind of stuff so you might want to play with the mix a bit. It also makes a fairly large batch so you might also want to halve it. It's got a slow building burn. It seems deceptively mellow the first few bites and then grows as you eat more. If you need something milder sub out 1/4 green pepper for the serranos and make sure to remove the seeds from all the peppers. You can also get away with cutting back the jalepenos back to just one but if you can handle two, it really is a better flavor balance.

Ingredients:

Cornbread
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tblsp honey (more or less to your liking)
1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar (optional)
1 minced jalapeno (optional)

Chili
1 poblano chili
1 anaheim chili
2 jalapenos
3 serranos
1 habanero (optional)
1/3 each sweet orange, yellow and red bell pepper (yes, using all three
colors matters)
1 large onion
2 to 3 cloves garlic
2 stalks celery
2 large ripe tomatoes
1 can kidney beans (optional)
1/2 lb beef (a chuck roast or chuck steak is what we usually use)
about 1/2 tsp ground coriander
about 2 tblsp chili powder (hot or mild, whichever you prefer)
about 1/8 tsp allspice (the hubby taught me about allspice in chili. It's
amazing!)

Instructions

Chili
Mince the garlic cloves and dice the beef into bite size pieces. Brown the beef with the garlic, coriander, and chili powder. Dice the peppers, onion and celery and place in a large, lightly oiled baking dish (sorry, I don't know the size, I borrowed it from someone else). Blanch and peal the tomatoes if desired. I personally don't but the hubby and I don't really mind the skins. Core the tomatoes and cut into about 1/2 inch cubes. Place in the baking dish. When the meat is done add to the pan. Add the allspice. If using the kidney beans drain them well and add them. Toss everything together in the dish and then set aside.

Cornbread
Preheat oven to 400F. Mix all dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients and gently stir until all is mixed together. The batter should be pretty thick. Gently fold in the shredded cheese and/or minced jalapeno if you're using them. Pour gently over chili making sure to get an even covering across everything. Bake until cornbread is golden brown and a butter knife/toothpick comes out clean when slid into the cornbread at several spots. Serve and enjoy.

I can vouch for purple.alien.giraffe's recipe. I've had her chili. It's pretty good stuff.

Here's one that you might like as well, though a lot of people tell me they don't like white chili. Nobody who has tasted this white chili has left disappointed:mrgreen:.

2009 United Way Chili Cook-off, 1rst-place Prize-Winning Recipe, White Chili Category – Bob Flowers’ White Chili

In past years, I made this same basic recipe, but with chicken or pork as the meat, and with more potent hot peppers. So this year, I tweaked the herbs and spices, changed to ground beef, and reduced the heat. Everyone who has tried this recipe has fallen in love with it. It’s not as pretty as red chili, but it sure does taste great. Try this recipe on a cool fall night. It’ll warm you to your toes.

Ingredients:
* 24 oz. (3 cups) Great Northern Beans, cooked
* 24 oz. Pinto Beans, cooked
* ½ cup Salsa Verde (available in most grocery stores)
* 1 large white onion, diced
* ½ cup chopped green onion
* 1 tbs. Sriracha brand Pepper Sauce
* 2 tbs. Coriander, ground
* 1 tbs. Cumin, ground
* 2 stalks Celery, sliced with leaves
* 1 ½ lb. Ground Beef (80/20 grind)
* 2 tsp. Kosher Salt, or 1 ½ tsp. table salt
* 3 tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
* 2, one-inch Serrano Chile Peppers, minced
* ½ tsp. white pepper, ground (or you can use black pepper)
* 2 cups heavy cream (1 pint)
* ½ cup Masa Harina (can be found next to the corn meal at
your grocers)
* 3 tbs. cooking oil

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion. Sauté over medium heat while stirring until the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes). Add the ground beef and flatten out. Let cook for about 5 minutes and then break it up. Stir and cook until the meat has lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the Masa Harina, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for two hours, stirring every twenty minutes or so to prevent the chili from sticking. Taste the chili and correct the seasoning to your taste (add more salt if needed).
Place the Masa Harina into an eight ounce cup along with just enough water to form a thick paste. Stir with a fork until all the lumps are removed. Slowly stir in two tbs. more water. This is called slurry. Stir the Masa Harina slurry into the chili, and again cover. Let it all cook over low heat for an additional ten minutes. Stir and test to see if the chili is thick enough for you. If so, then you are ready to serve up a bowl- full or two to your family. But remember, like all great chili, this is even better the next day. So if you can, cool it in an ice bath and place in the refrigerator for tomorrow’s dinner. Serve it with some good cornbread, or nachos.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Jaime Oliver was on one of the morning cooking shows the other day...he did what I often do, he topped his chili with a poached egg...

I like chili where you use chuck steak instead of ground meat. I also like to make it with pork cubes...and white chili with chicken...

Mmm, your recipes all sound great!

Pace Picante Sauce website has a chicken chili I've made for years, tweaking the spices and adding epazote. I try to always have some in the freezer. It's really good with sliced scallions, sour cream and shredded cheddar.

I like cocoa powder in my meat chilis, along with epazote and freshly ground cumin. No batch ever turns out the same, but we've never been disappointed!

Last edited:
PF's Chili

PF's Chili

1/4 pound bacon, diced
2 lbs beef stew meat
1 lb onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
1 Serrano, seeded and minced
2 red peppers, diced
2 lbs Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 cup New Mexico Chili Powder
1/2 lb soaked pinto beans, cooked or 2 cans, rinsed

In a large pot, cook bacon, rendering out fat, remove cooked bacon to paper towels to drain and reserve for munching whenever you feel like it.

Brown beef in bacon fat, add onions and garlic, cook until onions are translucent. Add peppers and tomatoes, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in chili powder, add more liquid if needed (I use V-8), stir in cooked or canned beans, salt to taste. Cover and simmer 2 hours. Meat should be tender.

Serve with all the fun fixings, bacon should be gone by now.

I can vouch for GW's white chili. Good stuff!

I asked the hubby if I could post his chili recipe and he said yeah. As much as we love the chili cornbread bake, this is our go to chili for potlucks and such because it's highly adaptable, can be made the night before, and freezes well. Everyone always loves it.

Chili

6 Servings

1 Lb Ground Beef (See notes below)
1 Clove Garlic, Minced
1 Large Onion, Finely Chopped
1 Med Green Bell Pepper, Finely Chopped
4 Tbls Chili Powder
1 Tbls Cider Vinegar
1/4 Tsp ground allspice
1/4 Tsp ground coriander
1 Tsp ground cumin
16 Oz Can Diced Tomatoes (do not drain!)
16 Oz Can Dark Red Kidney Beans ( Or Chili Beans, see note at bottom of recipe), With Liquid
2 Stalks Celery, Diced

Heat a large heavy pot (think stainless steal) that has a lid (you'll need it later) over medium-high heat and add a small amount of cooking oil. Add thawed ground beef and cook uncovered until lightly browned (not just cooked, the browning is important), stirring frequently to break up meat. Add garlic, onion, celery and green pepper. Cook with lid on, stiring periodically, until onion is soft. Add the allspice, coriander, cumin and half of the chili powder. Stir until seasoning and ingrediants are well mixed. Let cook with lid on for 3-5 minutes (about the amount of time it takes to open the cans of tomatoes and beans). Add tomatoes, beans and other half of the chili powder. Stir. Add the cider vinegar. Stir. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer chili for 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve with soda crackers, tortillas or corn chips. Can be topped with shredded cheddar, jack, pepper jack, or a mix. Or top with a dolop of sour cream and some green onions.

NOTES:

If there is not enough liquid add a small amount of water until liquid amounts are to desired taste. Be careful not to add too much liquid because this will weaken the flavor of the sauce.

For hot chili: add 3 jalapenos

For hotter chili: add 3 serranos

For hottest chili: add 3 habeneros or a couple drops of an extreme pepper sauce or pepper extract.

Or add any combination of chiles that you like. Different peppers will make subtle changes to the flavor of the chili so experiment and find what you like. The seeds of the peppers contain most of the heat so if you like the flavor of the different peppers but want a milder chili try removing them.

Hot peppers should be added at the same time as the garlic, onion, green pepper and celery.

For thicker sauce and fuller flavor: Add masa (corn flour) or soft corn tortillas cut into strips.

To improve flavor: let chili simmer longer or rest overnight. Chili often tastes better the second day, after ingredients have had a chance to blend.

Chili beans: if using chili beans use two cans instead of one, or one can chili beans and one can dark red kidney beans. Chili beans are red beans with seasonings so if you want the beans without the seasonings use two cans of red beans. Chili beans will change the flavor of the chili since they are seasoned.

Beanless chili: Follow basic recipe. Omit beans and use 2 lbs. lean ground beef and 3/4 tsp. salt.

Meatless chili: Follow basic recipe. Omit beef. Use 1 Tbs. vegetable oil to saute garlic, onion, and peppers. Use both the chili beans and kidney beans. Add one 16-oz. can of pinto beans.

Hamburger substitutions: We've made this chili with ground pork, a mix of ground beef and ground pork, and cubes of beef insted of ground. All worked well. We haven't tried it but friends of ours have used this recipe with ground venison and ground turkey and said it was really good.

For a lower salt variety: use no salt added kidney beans and tomatoes. You may need to add a small amount of salt to balance the flavor but this will still be less salt than using normal canned beans and tomatoes. Do not use chili beans. The seasonings in chili beans contain a lot of salt. Instead use no salt added red beans. Chili beans usually contain chili powder and cumin so if you want the stronger spice flavor that you get using chili beans without the salt, try adding extra chili powder and cumin.

Fresh tomatoes may be used in place of canned but you will need a lot of them and you'll need to cook them down to concentrate the flavor. You may still need to add a small amount of something like tomato juice to get the more intense tomato flavor that canned tomatoes provide, especially if using standard store bought fresh tomatoes.

I think that's about it. Mostly just play with it and see what you like. It's kind of the beauty of the recipe. The base is good and adapts to suit just about anyone's preferences, so long as they like tomatoes. Sorry, I know that's like, a book. Hurray for walls o' text. :rolleyes:

Here are my favorite chili recipes...

My family loves this chili. It's a hearty kind of chili with a little bit of a bite!

%231.JPG
%232.JPG

Domestic Goddess Chili

2 lbs. ground beef
1 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chili powder
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 (8 ounce) jars taco sauce, mild or medium
2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
shredded cheddar cheese, to garnish chili
tortilla chips, to scoop up chili

Cook ground beef in a Dutch oven over high heat; stirring to break up meat, until no longer pink (for 3 minutes).

Add onions; cook and stirring until translucent (for 2 minutes).

Stir in chili powder and garlic; cook one minute.

Stir in tomato sauce and taco sauce. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat, and simmer (uncovered) for 10 minutes.

Stir in the kidney beans and heat through.

Top each bowl with shredded cheddar cheese, and scoop up the chili with the tortilla chips.

Makes 8-10 servings.

Note: This recipe states to add 1/4 cup of chili powder, and yes, that's exactly how much I put in my chili.

Chili

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (10-3/4 oz.) can condensed tomato soup
1 (10-3/4 oz.) soup can of water
1 (6 oz.) can of tomato paste
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 (15 oz.) can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

In a 3-quart saucepan, brown ground beef and onion; drain off excess grease.

Add tomato soup, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, salt and sugar; mix well. Simmer for one hour; stirring chili occasionally.

Fifteen minutes before chili is done, stir in the kidney beans.

Yields: 4 servings

Note: Hubby and I like this even better, by adding a bit of Tabasco to our soup bowls at the table.

15 Minute Chili

3/4 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 (14.5 ounce) cans Delmonte Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Green Chilies
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (16 ounce) can Bush's Light Red Kidney Beans, drained
Toppings For Chili: shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, and sliced green onions

In a large skillet; brown the ground beef.

Remove from heat and drain.

Add chili powder; stir meat.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans.

Cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes; stirring occasionally.

Serve immediately.

This is an "excellent" white-bean/chicken-chili. Cooking time also includes baking the chicken, as well as, simmering the soup.

White Chili

Cooking Time: 2 hours
Prep Time: 30 minutes
About: 10 servings

1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
garlic powder
onion powder
ground black pepper
2 (14-1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
2 (15 ounce) cans white great northern beans, undrained
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini white kidney beans, undrained
1 (4 ounce) can Ortega Diced Green Chilies
1 cup finely chopped onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper
3-5 dashes Tabasco Sauce (or) hot pepper sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Season both sides of the chicken breasts, with some of the garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.

Arrange in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

Bake for 30 minutes in the 350 degree oven; remove from pan, and set aside to cool for just a bit.

When cooled some-what, slice and cut into small pieces.

In a Dutch oven (or large soup kettle), add the cut-up chicken, chicken broth, northern beans, cannellini beans, diced green chilies, chopped onions, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne red pepper and tabasco.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer (covered) for 1 hour.

Note: This recipe originally calls for 3-(15 oz.) cans white great northern beans, but I just add two.
It also says to add 2 (heaping teaspoons) of cumin and oregano; for those who like their chili a bit
more spicy.

Chili Con Carne with Tomatoes

1 lb. ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 cup chopped green peppers
1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut-up
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 (15-1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained

Cook and stir ground beef, onion, and green pepper, in a large skillet, until the meat is brown, and the onion is tender; drain off fat.

Stir in the remaining ingredients; except the kidney beans.

Heat to boiling, then reduce the heat; cover, and simmer for 2 hours; stirring occasionally (or cook uncovered about 45 minutes).

Stir in the beans, and heat through.

Serves: 4 or 5 (about 1 cup each).

I really enjoy the following chili. It's not too spicy, yet it has a touch of sweet seasoning added.

Cincinnati Chili

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup water
2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (16 ounce) box uncooked long spaghetti
1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 red onion, chopped

In a Dutch Oven over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef; stirring occasionally until browned (4 to 5 minutes), then drain off the fat.

Add the onion and garlic; cooking until browned (2 to 3 minutes).

Stir in the next 11 ingredients.

Continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil (about 4 to 5 minutes).

Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 60 minutes; stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to package directions; then drain.

To serve, divide spaghetti among bowls; spoon chili mixture over the spaghetti, and top each bowl with desired amount of shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped red onion.

About: 7 servings.

Pork Sausage Bean Chili

1 lb. "seasoned" ground pork sausage (See *Note)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar (I added dark brown sugar)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 (14.5 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes, cut-up the tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 ( 5.5 oz.) can chili style beans, undrained
1 (15.25 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained

In a large soup kettle or Dutch Oven, add the ground pork sausage, chopped onions, bell peppers, and celery.

Cook till the sausage is brown, and the vegetables are a bit tender; drain off excess grease.

Add the brown sugar, chili powder, and cumin; stir well.

Add the stewed tomatoes, the tomato sauce, and the canned beans.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer (uncovered) for about 30 minutes; stirring occasionally.

Yields: 6 - 8 servings

*Note: "Seasoned" ground pork sausage, is ground pork that has garlic, onion, ground sage, salt, and black pepper added to it.

Here's a different kind of chili I make, using Hershey's Milk Chocolate "Snack-Size" Candy Bars, but sometimes I will use 10 Hershey Milk Chocolate Kisses in place of the snack size chocolate bars. I love how this chili smells while it's simmering. You can actually smell the chocolate.

Chili with Chocolate

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup diced onion
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
3 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
4 Hershey's Milk Chocolate "Snack-Size" Candy Bars
1 (16-ounce) can Bush's Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed

In a 3-quart saucepan, spray the bottom of pan with a no-stick olive oil cooking spray.

Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic, and cook until the beef is brown, and onion is soft.

Drain the meat, to remove any excess grease, then add the meat back to the pan.

Add all of the chili powder to the pan, along with the tomato sauce, and the snack-size chocolate candy bars. Cook over a low simmer for 5 minutes; stirring frequently.

Add the kidney beans, and stir frequently while simmering for 5 minutes, or until the chili is heated through.

Ladle the chili into bowls, and serve immediately.

Yields: 4 servings

Last edited:
Steve Kroll's Chili "Recipe"

I don’t generally use a recipe when making chili. I do, however, tend to follow the same pattern whenever I make it. I prefer to think of it more as a set of rough guidelines, but I suppose you could call that a recipe of sorts. The specifics may change significantly from one batch to the next, though.

Unlike a lot of chili recipes, I don’t use chili powder, beans, macaroni, chocolate, or beer/wine. Although I'm kind of a purist myself, other purists in far-flung places like Texas will say that tomatoes don’t belong in chili, either. But I think it adds a complimentary flavor, so I include an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce in mine. You could probably substitute a couple of smaller garden fresh tomatoes if you wanted. For my taste, chili should be a simple, thick stew consisting of beef simmered in a sauce of dried and fresh chilies. That’s where the purist in me ends. As far as I’m concerned, people can put whatever they want on it after it’s done.

So here's my recipe...

Steve Kroll's Chili

Meat:
  • 2.5-3 lbs beef chuck, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2" cubes
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • A source of fat. Could be lard, beef tallow, olive oil, or whatever you prefer for frying. I'm kind of a tallow guy.

Sofrito (i.e. the veggies):
  • 2 medium onions, finely chopped
  • 6-8 assorted fresh chiles, de-seeded and finely chopped (I like a combination of flavor and heat: jalapeno, poblano or pasilla, habanero, or whatever is available fresh)
  • 3 large cloves garlic, finely minced

Chili Base:
  • 6-8 assorted large dried chile pods, de-seeded and roughly torn into pieces (any combination of ancho, guajillo, New Mexico, or pasilla)
  • 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup beef stock
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsps dried Mexican oregano
  • 1 tbsp smoked Spanish paprika (pimentón)

Method:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine beef cubes, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix thoroughly so that all the beef cubes are covered with the spice mixture. Put plastic wrap over the top and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
  2. Put the dried chile pod pieces into a bowl and pour enough boiling water over the top to just cover them. If the pieces float, set a slightly smaller bowl on top to keep everything submerged. Set the dried chile mixture to the side for 30 minutes to allow the dried peppers to reconstitute.
  3. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add a tablespoon of fat and a handful of the marinated meat. Quickly stir to brown the meat on all sides. It doesn’t have to be cooked completely through; all we are doing is developing some flavor. Once the meat is browned, remove from skillet to a plate and set aside. Working in batches, repeat this process to brown the remaining meat. Add more fat as needed.
  4. In the same pan, add another tablespoon of fat, along with the chopped onions, fresh chiles, and garlic to make the sofrito. Turn the heat down to medium low and sauté the vegetables until tender. The goal isn’t to brown the vegetables, but to allow them to slowly caramelize and develop flavor. If the mixture looks a little dry, add a bit of water. The entire process of cooking the vegetables should take about 20 minutes. When it’s done add the sautéed vegetables to the meat that was previously set aside.
  5. Return the now empty pan to the stove and turn the heat to medium high. Deglaze the pan with the one cup of beef stock. Stir and scrape to release any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
  6. Add the deglazed pan juices to a blender, along with the reconstituted dried chile mixture and the water they soaked in. Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt, red wine vinegar, cumin, Mexican oregano, and Spanish paprika. Puree the mixture until smooth.
  7. In a medium Dutch oven or deep sauté pan, combine the beef, sofrito, and chili-tomato mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Allow the chili to simmer uncovered for 2-3 hours or until the beef is tender. If the sauce is too soup-like, turn the heat up toward the end to reduce and thicken it. Adjust the seasoning to taste.

img_1477910_0_a2919cf91ce36557561546a082b7e84b.jpg

img_1477910_1_7053c759cbd65ac26abff6c3f56d47f6.jpg

img_1477910_2_22c16a1a75c0e7dac87d5ea56b839252.jpg

My Easy Chicken White Chili

1 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, and chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs cut in bite size pieces
2 cans of 28oz white beans, drained and rinsed
1 10 oz can Las Palmas green chili enchilada sauce
3 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of water
1/2 cup masa harina
1 Tbs Adobe seasoning
Grated cheese, chopped onion and cilantro leaves for garnish

Saute' the veggies in a few tablespoons of oil, adding garlic last so it doesn't burn. Add the chicken and cook a few minutes until it looses color. Add the beans and the liquids, using the water to blend the masa harina. Add the Adobe seasoning, and simmer for a half hour or more. Top the bowls with grated cheese and cilantro..

This is such a cozy site.........everyone's recipes sound so good....gotten some great ideas......you guys really take the extra effort to post your recipes and I know how much time that takes,...........if it's got heat, I'm really interested........thanks to all of you for taking the time to post your recipes......I've saved this site.......I'm Texan and I have a good chili recipe that is similar to many here, so I'm not posting.......but appreciate all of you and will be incorporating some new ideas......happy cooking!!!!

I almost never cook anything exactly the same way twice. Todays pot of chili is made with:
  • sofrito of onion, poblano peppers, and garlic
  • 3/4 lb ground pork
  • 1 cup of dried black beans, cooked
  • 28 oz canned tomatoes
  • 2 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
I don't have any at the moment but this canned chili sauce is great.

Thank you all for the chili recipes and suggestions. They all sound so good. :yum: I rarely make chili the same way twice, but there are some recipes here that I'd love to follow - once the cooler weather arrives. :)

Back
Top Bottom